Re: Javadoc Plugin release

Elliotte Rusty Harold
Dependencies in this project look quite out of date. We should
probably update the parent POM, doxia, possibly the http client, and
several other things first. This shouldn't take long once the CI is
fixed.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold

Re: Javadoc Plugin release

Elliotte Rusty Harold
There are five open PRs in the repo. It would be nice to review and
respond to them. One, I think, can be closed based on the discussion.
One is not ready (needs a test). I need to look at the other three.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold

Re: Javadoc Plugin release

Elliotte Rusty Harold
I see two test failures locally:

[ERROR] Failures:
[ERROR]   JavadocJarTest.testContinueIfFailOnErrorIsFalse:170
[ERROR]   JavadocReportTest.testNewline:880 Doesn't handle correctly
newline for string parameters. See options and packages files.
[ERROR] Errors:
[ERROR]   FixJavadocMojoTest.testFix:123->executeMojoAndTest:576->invokeCompileGoal:629
» NullPointer
[ERROR]   JavadocJarTest.testDefaultConfig:77 » MojoExecution
MavenReportException: Erro...
[ERROR]   JavadocJarTest.testIncludeMavenDescriptorWhenExplicitlyConfigured:178
» MojoExecution
[ERROR]   JavadocJarTest.testInvalidDestdir:152 » MojoExecution
MavenReportException: Er...
[ERROR]   JavadocReportTest.testCustomConfiguration:396 »
MojoExecution An error has occ...
[ERROR]   JavadocReportTest.testDefaultConfiguration:243 »
MojoExecution An error has oc...
[ERROR]   JavadocReportTest.testDocfiles:369 » MojoExecution An error
has occurred in Ja...
[ERROR]   JavadocReportTest.testDoclets:490 » MojoExecution An error
has occurred in Jav...
[ERROR]   JavadocReportTest.testOptionsUmlautEncoding:566 »
MojoExecution An error has o...
[ERROR]   JavadocReportTest.testQuotedPath:532 » MojoExecution An
error has occurred in ...
[ERROR]   JavadocReportTest.testStylesheetfile:1251 » MojoExecution An
error has occurre...
[ERROR]   JavadocReportTest.testSubpackages:320 » MojoExecution An
error has occurred in...
[ERROR]   JavadocReportTest.testToFindJavadoc:735 » MojoExecution An
error has occurred ...
[INFO]
[ERROR] Tests run: 67, Failures: 2, Errors: 13, Skipped: 0

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold

Re: Javadoc Plugin release

Elliotte Rusty Harold
I'll see if I can dig up some more logs on this. In the meantime as
Robert pointed out, the CI for this plugin is broken/red:

https://builds.apache.org/job/maven-box/job/maven-javadoc-plugin/

IMHO, getting that to blue is a prerequisite for a release. This
plugin is not currently in a releasable state.. I am (non-binding) -1
on this release.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold

Re: Javadoc Plugin release

Elliotte Rusty Harold
On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 4:51 AM Olivier Lamy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Do we really want to use OracleJdk as a source of truth???

For Java 7, probably not, at least unless we can switch to a later
patch release. I'm hitting an unrelated issue in the
maven-changes-plugin that stems from TLS 1.2 on the old Oracle JDK 7
we're using.

Is there any chance we can switch to the Zulu build from Azul? Or some
other more recent OpenJDK 7 build?

https://www.azul.com/downloads/zulu-community/?&architecture=x86-64-bit&package=jdk

For Java 8 and later it probably is important to include the Oracle
JDKs in the matrix, since that's by far the most common VM our
customers will be using.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold

Re: Javadoc Plugin release

Elliotte Rusty Harold
On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 7:16 AM Olivier Lamy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> failures, which lets much more serious bugs creep in unnoticed.
> >

> ok no worries.
> So do you want to be volunteer try to understand the problem on this node
> and fix the problem with ASF infra folks?

Robert already said he was working on that. But just to be really
clear, if nobody steps up to do that, the plugin should not be
released. A passing build is not optional.

When the build is red (or yellow), it's a hard stop on all commits and
releases until that's fixed. I do wish Jenkins didn't distinguish red
and yellow, and I really think we should figure out how to hook the
Jenkins results directly into Github to avoid bad merges on yellow
like the ones I committed last week; but we can still agree that a red
build is  blocker.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold