Re: Javac server?

Romain Manni-Bucau
No experience with it but from profilings I did on maven, compilation is
not that expensive compared to plugin setup in most projects so maven
shell/daemon or so are likely a first step which can be more interesting in
terms of overall perf (then this server can be the next step).

Romain Manni-Bucau

Le dim. 15 nov. 2020 à 22:24, Enrico Olivelli <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

> Hey folks,
> I had never heard about this javac server before
> https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/139
>

> Is there any way we can exploit it in order to speed up the build?
> Is it enough to execute javac tool inside the same JVM of Maven core to get
> the same results?
>
> Do anyone have experience with it?
>
> Enrico

Re: Javac server?

Tibor Digana
The server makes sense when you want to have an incremental compiler.
We talked about it with Robert at the ASF conference 5 years ago.
If the server is tracing every change of your workspace (repo url, hash,
branch) and the list of sources too, then you can speed up the compiler.

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 10:24 PM Enrico Olivelli <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hey folks,
> I had never heard about this javac server before
> https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/139
>

> Is there any way we can exploit it in order to speed up the build?
> Is it enough to execute javac tool inside the same JVM of Maven core to get
> the same results?
>
> Do anyone have experience with it?
>
> Enrico

Re: Javac server?

It is still on my wishlist to make use of javac via the ToolProvider, just like now is done with jlink.[1]
But this one might be interesting too.

Robert

[1] https://github.com/apache/maven-jlink-plugin/pull/16