Re: JDK 8 Minimum Requirement for Maven Resolver 2.0

Re: JDK 8 Minimum Requirement for Maven Resolver 2.0

michaelo
Strongly agree with Elliotte. Rather than rewriting existing, working
code, I'd rather see issues addressed.

Am 2020-05-09 um 22:19 schrieb Elliotte Rusty Harold:

> It is not true that Java 7 updates are no longer available. Java 7
> updates are available from Oracle for paying customers and from other
> vendors such as Azul for everyone.
>
> My preference is not to move unless there's a clear reason to do so.
> Are there specific features in Java 8 that would be useful for Maven
> resolver? E.g. support for a new protocol that isn't available in Java
> 7 such as TLS 1.3?
>

> On Sat, May 9, 2020 at 4:13 PM Sylwester Lachiewicz
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi to all,
>>
>> based on the previous vote to require Java 8 for Maven Core - I would like
>> to propose setting the same minimum for Maven Resolver 2.0
>>
>> Maven Resolver is a base component to solve dependencies for Maven. It can
>> also be used separately from Maven for other projects.
>> Because Java 7 updates are no longer available, the market is also moving
>> towards using the newer version of Java 8/11.
>> Practically the Core requirement means that Resolver has little chance of
>> being used in Java 7 (see tricks to connect to Central).
>>
>> Benefits - more programmers can practice coding while improving our
>> codebase.
>>
>> What's your opinion on the subject?
>>
>> https://maven.apache.org/resolver/
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Sylwester
>

> --
> Elliotte Rusty Harold

Re: JDK 8 Minimum Requirement for Maven Resolver 2.0

Tibor Digana
The code written in j8 looks more compact. The loops and annonymous classes
with one method do not waste the code lines.

You can create a branch for the Maven Resolver 2.0 and the later Maven can
use it.

Do we need to have Maven Resolver 2.0 in the Maven 3.7.0?
The Maven 3.7.0 is @j8 and using Resolver 1.4.2.
What changes you expect in Maven Resolver 2.0? If it is only Java 1.8 *code
*then it should be no problem except the performance of some Streams.

Probably the Maven Resolver 2.0 would be used in 3.7.1 or 3.8.0. But if the
Maven 3.7.0 is @j8 then using Resolver 2.0@j8 should not harm the Maven.
The older versions of Resolver can continue the development in branches.
Everything would have a permanent progress and we don't have to stop
somewhere in the master.