Re: [Idea] Coding Guidelines for Maven Contribution Newbies

Re: [Idea] Coding Guidelines for Maven Contribution Newbies

rfscholte
AFAIK the eclipse one is not outdated.
I suggest to update these.

I am aware of editor-config, but it has one huge problem: you cannot refer to a centralized file.
This means that IF we would use them, we need to keep them in sync for all ~100 repositories, which is a big no for me.
Updating the IDE specific files seems like the appropriate way to handle this.

thanks,
Robert
On 23-12-2020 12:39:11, Sandra Parsick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> those are outdated – not everything you need is included, at least for
> IntelliJ.
> YMMV when using those.

If those are already outdated and those need an update, maybe it is a
good point to introduce editorconfig [1]. The advantage of editorconfig
is that you have one config file for "all" IDEs. That would decrease the
maintenance effort. You can also generate it from your checkstyle config
file.

> There is a lot which could be done.
> E.g. updating those files, some general code guidelines (like: do not use
> guard statements, rather use an else), etc., when (not) to use Optionals,
> when to use which Logger, when to keep compatibility to Java 7/8 for plugin
> x/y…

Yes, that is the main pain point!

> But speaking about code style: I saw Christian (junit) using a
> fmt-maven-plugin [1].
> That would be helpful, too, unless checkstyle can do the same now.

I have a look on it. It is great, if you follow the Google Coding style.
You can't configure your own style.

[1]: https://editorconfig.org/