Re: How does maven-site publishing work?

Re: How does maven-site publishing work?

David Jencks-4
I strongly recommend using the most up to date infra site support which involves a git repo with an asf.yaml file indicating that it’s your website.  Push to the git repo and as if by magic your website appears.  See https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/git+-+.asf.yaml+features

I’m also strongly in favor of using asciidoc rather than markdown and using Antora, however that’s a separate issue.

Completely off topic for this thread, but…. how hard would it be for the maven site plugin to generate asciidoc?

David Jencks

> On Oct 19, 2020, at 11:38 AM, Michael Osipov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Folks,
>
> we at the HttpComponents TLP we'd like use the same approach as maven-site does. We'd ilke to automatate as much as possible, means: push to repo should trigger a a push to the website. I can see that svnpubub is obviously used in the POM. But the question is, where is the trigger performing the actual step? Who knows best?
>
> See discussion [1]
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael
>
> [1] https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@.../msg27650.html

Re: How does maven-site publishing work?

Hervé BOUTEMY
Hi Michael,

I did the majority of the setup.

Seen by infra, our site is using svnpubsub, which is the key for us to publish
100 independant component sites without checkout out the whole aggregated
site. (no, gitpubsub is not the best option in our case)

We basically use maven-site-plugin to generate html, then commit it to svn
(for svnpubsub) with maven-scm-publish-plugin: you can for example publish
maven-site with "mvn site-deploy" from your machine, same for every component
documentation.

Next step is CI integration, to avoid requiring everybody to build maven-site
on his machine: infra provides a Jenkins agent for that, see our job [1]

The last step for easy use is to provide the "edit" icon in the skin's
breadcrumb like added a few years ago [2]

More details can be found at [3].
But the setup is not that complex: it's just maven-site, svnpubsub, a normal
CI job, and a few ideas to ease navigation

Don't hesitate to ping me and tell me where to involve if I can be of any
help.

[1] https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Maven/job/maven-box/job/maven-site/job/
master/

[2] https://maven.apache.org/