Re: Hooking custom plugin into deploy phase

On 19.05.20 14:24, Petr Fišer wrote:
> Hello,
> I am trying to create custom maven plugin. Problem is I need to hook it
> up into the "deploy" phase before the default maven-deploy-plugin gets
> executed.
> The plugin itself seems to be ok - I hooked it up to "package" phase to
> verify its working. But when trying to get it into "deploy" phase, the
> maven-deploy-plugin executes first (and of course complains that I do
> not have the distributionManagement section in the pom.xml but I guess
> that is not the root of my problem).

Can you explain what kind of plugin and why the plugin needs to be
before deploy plugin? (It looks like asking password?) What kind of
problem are you trying to solve?

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

> Could somebody point me in the right direction please?
>
> Base class of the plugin:
>
> @Mojo( name ="askpass", defaultPhase = LifecyclePhase.DEPLOY )
> public class AskpassDeployPluginMojoextends AbstractMojo {
>      public void execute()throws MojoExecutionException,
> MojoFailureException {
> //do something here }
> }
>

> Reference from pom.xml of sample project where I am testing this:
>    xsi:schemaLocation="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0
>    <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
>    <groupId>com.mycompany.app</groupId>
>    <artifactId>my-app</artifactId>
>    <packaging>jar</packaging>
>    <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
>    <name>my-app</name>
>    <url>http://maven.apache.org</url>
>    <dependencies>
>      <dependency>
>        <groupId>junit</groupId>
>        <artifactId>junit</artifactId>
>        <version>3.8.1</version>
>        <scope>test</scope>
>      </dependency>
>    </dependencies>
>
>    <build>
>      <plugins>
>        <plugin>
> <groupId>cz.fiisch.maven.plugin.deploy.askpass</groupId>
>      <artifactId>askpass-deploy-plugin</artifactId>
>      <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
>          <executions>
>            <execution>
>              <phase>deploy</phase>
>              <goals>
>                <goal>askpass</goal>
>              </goals>
>            </execution>
>          </executions>
>        </plugin>
>      </plugins>
>    </build>
> </project>
>

> Cheers,

Re: Hooking custom plugin into deploy phase

Maarten Mulders
Hi Petr,

If you want to specifically invoke your plugin, you would need
mvn
cz.fiisch.maven.plugin.deploy.askpass:askpass-deploy-plugin:1.0-SNAPSHOT:askpass
(so not mvn deploy:askpass - this looks for the askpass goal in the
maven-deploy-plugin which doesn't exist)

That said, I would expect that if you took the snippet from the pom.xml
you have in your email (without the goals section commented out), the
askpass goal of your plugin should be invoked.

I do agree that - at this stage - seeing messages about missing
distributionManagement is probably not the cause of the fact that your
custom plugin not being invoked.

You could add -X (e.g. mvn -X ....) - it will create a lot of debugging
output, it might give some clues as to why your plugin is not executing.

HTH,

Maarten

On May 20, 2020 at 07:56, Petr Fišer wrote:

> [...]
> order of execution is the same as the order in which you define them in
> pom.xml.
> So if you want your plugin to be executed before the
> maven-deploy-plugin, I guess you'll need to explicitly list the
> maven-deploy-plugin in your pom.xml, straight after your custom plugin.
> (Besides, it would be a good idea to do that anyway since it allows you
> to specify which version of the maven-deploy-plugin your project uses.)
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> Maarten
>
> On May 19, 2020 at 14:24, Petr Fišer wrote:
>
> Hello,
> I am trying to create custom maven plugin. Problem is I need to hook it
> up into the "deploy" phase before the default maven-deploy-plugin gets
> executed.
> The plugin itself seems to be ok - I hooked it up to "package" phase to
> verify its working. But when trying to get it into "deploy" phase, the
> maven-deploy-plugin executes first (and of course complains that I do
> not have the distributionManagement section in the pom.xml but I guess
> that is not the root of my problem).
>
> Could somebody point me in the right direction please?
>
> Base class of the plugin:
>
> @Mojo( name ="askpass", defaultPhase = LifecyclePhase.DEPLOY )
> public class AskpassDeployPluginMojoextends AbstractMojo {
> public void execute()throws MojoExecutionException,
> MojoFailureException {
> //do something here }
> }
>
> Reference from pom.xml of sample project where I am testing this:
> xsi:schemaLocation="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0
> <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
> <groupId>com.mycompany.app</groupId>
> <artifactId>my-app</artifactId>
> <packaging>jar</packaging>
> <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
> <name>my-app</name>
> <url>http://maven.apache.org</url>
> <dependencies>
> <dependency>
> <groupId>junit</groupId>
> <artifactId>junit</artifactId>
> <version>3.8.1</version>
> <scope>test</scope>
> </dependency>
> </dependencies>
>
> <build>
> <plugins>
> <plugin>
> <groupId>cz.fiisch.maven.plugin.deploy.askpass</groupId>
> <artifactId>askpass-deploy-plugin</artifactId>
> <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
> <executions>
> <execution>
> <phase>deploy</phase>
> <goals>
> <goal>askpass</goal>
> </goals>
> </execution>
> </executions>
> </plugin>
> </plugins>
> </build>
> </project>
>
> Cheers,

Re: Hooking custom plugin into deploy phase

Thanks for the hint.

The wiki page you mentioned was the first thing I read when I started.
It's worth to say that it states only one explicit requirement: "Do not
name your plugin maven-SOMETHING-plugin."
The phrase You will typically name your
plugin|<yourplugin>-maven-plugin|. does not sound as a requirement at all.

Anyway, I renamed plugin to askpass-maven-plugin and tried to use it
that way. Probably nothing hardcoded here because results are the same
as before (with askpass-deploy-plugin name).
And even if named askpass-deploy-plugin, the plugin executes just fine
in the "package" phase (with changed config in pom.xml of sample project
and with different LifecyclePhase in the Mojo annotation in the plugin
source, of course).

Cheers,

Petr Fišer

BCV solutions s.r.o.
Mobile: +420 607 618 243
E-mail: [hidden email]
Jabber: [hidden email]

On 05/20/2020 09:28 AM, Slawomir Jaranowski wrote:

> [...]
>>> </dependency>
>>> </dependencies>
>>>
>>> <build>
>>> <plugins>
>>> <plugin>
>>> <groupId>cz.fiisch.maven.plugin.deploy.askpass</groupId>
>>> <artifactId>askpass-deploy-plugin</artifactId>
>>> <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
>>> <executions>
>>> <execution>
>>> <phase>deploy</phase>
>>> <goals>
>>> <goal>askpass</goal>
>>> </goals>
>>> </execution>
>>> </executions>
>>> </plugin>
>>> </plugins>
>>> </build>
>>> </project>
>>>
>>> Cheers,

Re: Hooking custom plugin into deploy phase

Yes, this works. Thank you. :)
A followup question... running whole build like this is a bit clunky.
Basically I have to execute:

mvn clean install
cz.fiisch.maven.plugin.deploy.askpass:askpass-deploy-plugin:1.0-SNAPSHOT:askpass
deploy

to do the whole build. This should be ok as long as I am able to squish
"cz.fiisch.maven.plugin.deploy.askpass:askpass-deploy-plugin:1.0-SNAPSHOT"
under some alias so devs will not need to use this whole line, but just
some condensed form like:

mvn clean install SOMEALIAS:askpass deploy

Cheers,

Petr Fišer

BCV solutions s.r.o.
Mobile: +420 607 618 243