Re: Hacktoberfest

Elliotte Rusty Harold
I'll look at some, but I can't promise highest priority.

On Sun, Oct 4, 2020 at 4:55 AM Robert Scholte <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think the hacktober is a good initiative.
> Just be aware that we need to respond to these PRs ASAP, otherwise it might work against us.
> We already have a huge amount of PRs that still need to be reviewed, so it is not like we don't have enough PRs.
>
> I think we need at least 5 committers that explicitly say the will pick up these PR with the highest priority for 1 month.
> Otherwise I'd say no.
>
> Robert
>

> On 3-10-2020 20:41:04, Maarten Mulders <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Today, I came across this update [1] from DigitalOcean, one of the
> companies behind Hacktoberfest. TL;DR: to prevent "spam pull requests",
> only accepted/merged/approved pull requests against GitHub repositories
> labelled "hacktoberfest" qualify for the free t-shirt or planting a
> tree. This is other than previous years, where _every_ pull request
> would qualify, even if the repository owner did not explicitly
> participate in Hacktoberfest.
>
> I would argue it makes sense to opt-in Maven repositories for
> Hacktoberfest. If it could encourage people to start contributing to
> Maven, I think that would be useful. It might also bring Maven to the
> attention of people who are looking for (Java) projects to contribute to.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Maarten
>

> [1] https://hacktoberfest.digitalocean.com/hacktoberfest-update

Elliotte Rusty Harold

Re: Hacktoberfest

Maarten Mulders-3
Same for me - I think having (new) contributions is important, so I will
reserve some time for that in this month.

 From the contributor point of view, a PR counts if:

Submitted in a repo with the hacktoberfest topic AND
during the month of October AND (
   The PR is merged OR
   The PR is labelled as hacktoberfest-accepted by a maintainer OR
   The PR has been approved
)

So from our point of view, we don't need to have the contributions
*merged* . I think that if we see enough potential in a contributions
but there's minor points left to improve, we could already label it
'hacktoberfest-accepted'. Then there's a risk that they don't finish it
off, but since it would be only minor points to improve, we could even
do that ourselves.

Thanks,

Maarten

On October 4, 2020 at 13:17, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:

> I'll look at some, but I can't promise highest priority.
>
> On Sun, Oct 4, 2020 at 4:55 AM Robert Scholte <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I think the hacktober is a good initiative.
>> Just be aware that we need to respond to these PRs ASAP, otherwise it might work against us.
>> We already have a huge amount of PRs that still need to be reviewed, so it is not like we don't have enough PRs.
>>
>> I think we need at least 5 committers that explicitly say the will pick up these PR with the highest priority for 1 month.
>> Otherwise I'd say no.
>>
>> Robert
>>

>> On 3-10-2020 20:41:04, Maarten Mulders <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Today, I came across this update [1] from DigitalOcean, one of the
>> companies behind Hacktoberfest. TL;DR: to prevent "spam pull requests",
>> only accepted/merged/approved pull requests against GitHub repositories
>> labelled "hacktoberfest" qualify for the free t-shirt or planting a
>> tree. This is other than previous years, where _every_ pull request
>> would qualify, even if the repository owner did not explicitly
>> participate in Hacktoberfest.
>>
>> I would argue it makes sense to opt-in Maven repositories for
>> Hacktoberfest. If it could encourage people to start contributing to
>> Maven, I think that would be useful. It might also bring Maven to the
>> attention of people who are looking for (Java) projects to contribute to.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Maarten
>>

>> [1] https://hacktoberfest.digitalocean.com/hacktoberfest-update

Re: Hacktoberfest

Martin Kanters
I think this is a nice opportunity to get more people onboard and I am
willing to spend more time reviewing PRs this month. As Maarten mentions,
we do not have to have all PRs finished in October, they only have to be
marked as 'hacktoberfest-accepted' so that gives us extra time. I do agree
it would be nice to have an up-to-date up-for-grabs list as Gary mentions,
so we should check the current up-for-grabs JIRA issues.

Martin