Re: Fw: Re: Need advice to put my bootstrap template in Maven archetype web app

Re: Fw: Re: Need advice to put my bootstrap template in Maven archetype web app

Thomas Broyer-2
[+cc maven-users]

I'm sorry I'm not particularly good at telling people "what they should
do". What I'm god at is telling you how things work, and then let you make
the changes to achieve your goal (knowing where you come from and where you
want to go).

You have to understand the structure of a WAR file, and how you want *your* WAR
file to look like. First, a WAR file is in ZIP format, if you open your WAR
file with WinZIP (or rename it as *.zip and open it as a "compressed
folder" in Windows Explorer), here's what it looks like:

   - the webapp descriptor lives in WEB-INF/web.xml
   - compiled classes can go into WEB-INF/classes (as
   WEB-INF/classes/com/example/MyClass.class, for a class MyClass in package
   com.example)
   - third-party dependencies go into WEB-INF/lib (as JAR files directly
   inside the directory, with no additional subdirectory)
   - web resources go outside the WEB-INF and META-INF directories.
   Generally, you'll find an index.html or index.jsp file at the root of the
   WAR. Put your files as you like, as long as they're not in WEB-INF or
   META-INF root directories.

When you deploy a webapp (WAR file) to a server (e.g. Tomcat), a foo.html
file at the root of the WAR will be available at
your webapp is deployed to (in many cases, this is the name of your WAR
file, without the *.war extension; but you can deploy a webapp at the root
of a server, so you can have <a href="http://server:port/foo.html">http://server:port/foo.html) This is highly
dependent on how you deploy your webapps. You seem to be using the tools
integrated into Eclipse, and I have no idea how they work and what they do,
so I can't help further.

Then you need to understand how to build a WAR file with Maven.
Using the standard layout, i.e. with a pom.xml containing only the strict
minimum (groupId, artifactId, version, packaging=war, and dependencies, but
nothing in <build>), here's how it works:

   - Java source code in src/main/java (this is
   ${project.build.sourceDirectory}) is compiled into your target/classes
   (this is ${project.build.outputDirectory}) by the maven-compiler-plugin
   - Resources in src/main/resources (this is the default set of
   ${project.build.resources}) are copied into target/classes by the
   maven-resources-plugin
   - Then the maven-war-plugin will take target/classes and put it into
   WEB-INF/classes, it will take all your dependencies (declared in
   <dependencies> in your pom.xml) into WEB-INF/lib (unless they are declared
   <scope>provided</scope> is generally used to declare the Servlet API
   dependency, as it shouldn't be packaged into the WAR file, given it'll be
   provided –hence the name of the scope– by the server), and finally will
   take the content of src/main/webapp (this is the default value for the
   plugin's warSourceDirectory) and put it at the root of the WAR.
   By default, there should be a src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/web.xml file, or
   the plugin will complain; unless you reconfigure the plugin to ignore it
   (what you did in your pom.xml).
   The plugin will first create an "exploded WAR" in
   target/${artifactId}-${version} (this is actually
   ${project.build.directory}/${project.build.finalName}; this means you can
   change the subfolder name by configuring <finalName> into <build> in your
   POM, something you have in your pom.xml) and then will "ZIP" it into
   target/${project.build.finalName}.war
   Note that you can also configure the plugin to JAR the target/classes
   into WEB-INF/lib instead of copying it into WEB-INF/classes; this will work
   the same when deployed to a server, so is mostly a matter of preferences.

Now you should know all there is to know to build your WAR file.

   - put your JSP files into src/main/webapp. The path relative to
   src/main/webapp will be the path relative to the webapp root URL (i.e.
   src/main/webapp/tutorRegister.jsp will be at
   http://localhost:8013/WebApp/tutorRegister.jsp)
   - put your bootstrap JS and CSS files somewhere into src/main/webapp
   too; make sure the relative links between your JSPs and the bootstrap files
   work.

But look at your WAR file (after invoking Maven's "package" goal) to know
if you did things right. Only then try to deploy your webapp to Tomcat
using Eclipse Java EE tools, and fix things in your Eclipse config, without
moving files around or changing your pom.xml (because you validated that
already and you know it's right).

On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 2:42 PM Karen Goh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> I have not heard back from you so I am writing to you again.
>
> Basically, I still can't get the localhost to run the jsp page properly.
>
> So, what I did now is re-edit the web deployment assembly
>
> https://ibb.co/eJ93Cq
>
> Now, another problem appeared :
>
> The URL appeared to be like this which differs from what you have mentioned
>
> http://localhost:8013/WebApp/WEB-INF/tutorRegister.jsp
>
> I am really lost and can't get going with my project so I really hope you
> could point out how to make it right.
>
> Here's my latest attempt :
>
> https://ibb.co/g4atCq
>
> https://ibb.co/kppH5A
>
> I am so sorry to trouble you again but I really hope how should I make the
> my URL correct.  Do I move all the jsp to above image folder and just below
> WEB-INF ?
>
> Tks & regards,
> Karen

Take the Bootstrap and Images folder out of the WebContent and move them
into src/main/webapp.

I mean: tutorRegister.jsp was in WebContent and you moved it to
src/main/webapp, right? so just do the same things with the rest: the
Bootstrap folder is in WebContent, move it into src/main/webapp (i.e.
src/main/webapp/Bootstrap/…)

Karen Goh

On Tue, 11/6/18, Thomas Broyer <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Subject: Re: Fw: Re: Need advice to put my bootstrap template in Maven archetype web app
 To: "Karen Goh" <[hidden email]>
 Cc: "Maven Users List" <[hidden email]>
 Date: Tuesday, November 6, 2018, 11:56 PM

 Take the Bootstrap and Images folder out of
 the WebContent and move them
 into src/main/webapp.

 I mean: tutorRegister.jsp was in
 WebContent and you moved it to
 src/main/webapp, right? so just do the
 same things with the rest: the
 Bootstrap folder is in WebContent, move
 it into src/main/webapp (i.e.
 src/main/webapp/Bootstrap/…)

Hello Thomas,

I followed your advice but it is still not working.  Do I need to do anything else to make the jsp render the layout as per the Bootstrap template cos it was working before I change my structure to meet the Maven's standard directory layout.

Here's the layout I have done as per your advice:

https://ibb.co/fb23DV

 wrote:

 > I am so sorry but please ignore
 the last email.

 > The URL is ok now after I read
 thru your email again and then looking at
 > many images online.
 >
 > However, the jsp page is still not
 rendering the Bootstrap template.

 > I just need you kindly tell me
 where to put the WebContent which contains
 > all the template, css etc.
 >
 > https://ibb.co/hbF8dV
 >
 > Thanks in advance.
 >
 > --- On Tue, 11/6/18, Karen Goh
 <[hidden email]>
 wrote:

 > > From: Karen Goh <[hidden email]>
 > > Subject: Fw: Re: Need advice
 to put my bootstrap template in Maven
 > archetype web app
 > > To: [hidden email]
 > > Date: Tuesday, November 6,
 2018, 9:38 PM
 > > Hi Thomas,
 > >
 > > I have not heard back from
 you so I am
 > > writing to you again.
 > >
 > > Basically, I still can't get
 the
 > > localhost to run the jsp page
 properly.

 > > So, what I did now is re-edit
 the web
 > > deployment assembly
 > >
 > > https://ibb.co/eJ93Cq
 > >
 > > Now, another problem appeared
 :

 > > The URL appeared to be like
 this which
 > > differs from what you have
 mentioned

 > > http://localhost:8013/WebApp/WEB-INF/tutorRegister.jsp
 > >
 > > I am really lost and can't
 get going
 > > with my project so I really
 hope you could point out how to
 > > make it right.
 > >
 > > Here's my latest attempt :
 > >
 > > https://ibb.co/g4atCq
 > >
 > > https://ibb.co/kppH5A
 > >
 > > I am so sorry to trouble you
 again but
 > > I really hope how should I
 make the my URL correct.  Do
 > > I move all the jsp to above
 image folder and just below
 > > WEB-INF ?
 > >
 > > Tks & regards,
 > > Karen
 > >
 > > --- On Sun, 11/4/18, Karen
 Goh <[hidden email]>
 > > wrote:
 > >
 > > > From: Karen Goh <[hidden email]>
 > > > Subject: Re: Need advice
 to put my
 > > bootstrap template in Maven
 archetype web app
 > > > To: "Thomas Broyer"
 <[hidden email]>
 > > > Date: Sunday, November
 4, 2018,
 > > 1:25 PM

 > > > On Sat, 11/3/18, Thomas
 Broyer
 > > <[hidden email]>
 > > > wrote:
 > > >
 > > >  Subject: Re: Need
 advice to
 > > put my
 > > > bootstrap template in
 Maven
 > > archetype web app
 > > >  To: "Karen Goh"
 <[hidden email]>
 > > >  Date: Saturday,
 November 3,
 > > 2018, 9:21
 > > > PM
 > > >
 > > >
 > > >
 > > >  On Sat, Nov
 > > >  3, 2018 at 1:38 PM
 Karen Goh
 > > <[hidden email]>
 > > >  wrote:

 > > >  On Fri, 11/2/18,
 Thomas
 > > Broyer <[hidden email]>
 > > >  wrote:
 > > >
 > > >
 > > >
 > > >   Subject: Re: Need
 advice
 > > to put my
 > > > bootstrap template in
 > > >  Maven archetype
 web app

 > > >   To: "Maven Users
 List"
 > > <[hidden email]>,
 > > >  "Karen Goh" <[hidden email]>
 > > >
 > > >   Date: Friday,
 November 2,
 > > 2018, 7:37
 > > > PM
 > > >
 > > >
 > > >
 > > >
 > > >
 > > >
 > > >
 > > >   On Thu, Nov
 > > >
 > > >   1, 2018 at 5:55
 AM Karen
 > > Goh
 > > >
 > > >   <[hidden email]>
 > > > wrote:

 > > >   On Tue, 10/30/18,
 jieryn
 > > <[hidden email]>
 > > >
 > > >   wrote:

 Re: Need advice
 > > to put my
 > > > bootstrap template
 > > >  in
 > > >
 > > >   Maven archetype
 web app

 > > >    To: "Maven
 Users List"
 > > <[hidden email]>,
 > > >
 > > >   [hidden email]
 > > >
 > > >
 > > >
 > > >    Date:
 Tuesday, October
 > > 30, 2018,
 > > > 8:31 PM
 > > >
 > > >
 > > >
 > > >
 > > >
 > > >
 > > >
 > > >    https://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-war-plugin/usage.html
 > > >
 > > >
 > > >
 > > >
 > > >
 > > >
 > > >
 > > >   Hi Jieryn,
 > > >
 > > >
 > > >
 > > >
 > > >
 > > >
 > > >
 > > >   Just to clarify,
 so I have
 > > to place
 > > > the WebContent
 > > >  folder
 > > >
 > > >   which contents
 all my
 > > bootstrap css
 > > > etc under the
 > > >  resources
 > > >
 > > >   ?
 > > >
 > > >
 > > >
 > > >
 > > >
 > > >
 > > >
 > > >   I am confused cos
 the
 > > title is how
 > > > to WAR plug in where
 > > >  is
 > > >
 > > >   my question is
 more on the
 > > Maven
 > > > structure directory
 > > >  usage
 > > >
 > > >   for 3rd party
 bootstrap
 > > template.
 > > >
 > > >
 > > >
 > > >   In Maven,
 everything is
 > > done by
 > > >
 > > >   plugins, even
 the
 > > "standard" things.
 > > > Besides
 > > >  the
 > > >
 > > >   things that are
 part of
 > > the Project
 > > > Object Model
 > > >  (sources,
 > > >
 > > >   resources,
 output
 > > directory, test
 > > > sources, test
 > > >  resources,
 > > >
 > > >   test output
 directory),
 > > the
 > > > "standard layout"
 > > >  for
 > > >
 > > >   Maven projects
 are
 > > actually simply
 > > > the default
 > > >
 > > >   configurations
 for those
 > > plugins.If
 > > > you want to
 > > >
 > > >   build a WAR file
 for a web
 > > app,
 > > > you'll use

 <packaging>war</packaging> in your POM,
 > > >  which
 > > >
 > > >   will trigger the
 plugin
 > > bindings for
 > > > war packaging (
 > https://maven.apache.org/ref/3.6.0/maven-core/default-bindings.html#Plugin_bindings_for_war_packaging
 > ).
 > > >
 > > >   The
 maven-war-plugin is
 > > responsible
 > > > for packaging the
 > > >  WAR
 > > >
 > > >   file, and by
 default will
 > > take the
 > > > "web
 > > >  resources"
 > > >
 > > >   from
 src/main/webapp.In
 > > you case,
 > > > you could
 > > >
 > > >   either
 reconfigure the
 > > > maven-war-plugin to use
 > > WebContent
 > > >  as
 > > >
 > > >   the
 warSourceDirectory, or
 > > move the
 > > > content of you
 > > >
 > > >   WebContent folder
 into
 > > > src/main/webapp (so you
 will
 > > >  have,
 > > >
 > > >   for example, a

 src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/web.xml
 > > file
 > > >  instead
 > > >
 > > >   of
 > > WebContent/WEB-INF/web.xml)
 > > >
 > > >   See also
 > https://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-standard-directory-layout.html
 >
 > > >
 > > >
 > > >
 > > >  Hi Thomas,
 > > >
 > > >
 > > >
 > > >  Just to clarify,
 do you mean
 > > I have to
 > > > remove src/main/java
 > > >  from my pom which
 will point
 > > to the
 > > > source directory?
 > > >
 > > >  You don't need to
 configure
 > > >  src/main/java
 explicitly,
 > > it's the
 > > > default value for

 project.build.sourceDirectory.
 > > >  This is my new
 edited pom.

 <packaging>war</packaging>

 <version>0.0.1-SNAPSHOT</version>

 <name>WebApp Maven
 > > > Webapp</name>

 <url>http://maven.apache.org</url>

 <properties>

 <src.dir>src/main/java</src.dir> //
 > > >  DO i need to
 remove this ?
 > > Will
 > > > maven compile without
 the
 > > >  java files ?
 > > >
 > > >  You can remove
 it,
 > > >  yes.Note that the
 line below
 > > redefines
 > > > the
 > > >  property, so this
 POM
 > > actually
 > > > configures
 > > >
 > > project.build.sourceDirectory
 > > >  src/main/webapp.

 <src.dir>src/main/webapp</src.dir>

 </properties>

 <build>

 <sourceDirectory>${src.dir}</sourceDirectory>

 <finalName>WebApp</finalName>

 <plugins>

   <plugin>

 <version>3.8.0</version>

 > > <configuration>

 <source>1.8</source>

 <target>1.8</target>

 > > </configuration>
 > > >
 > > >
 > > </plugin>
 > > >
 > > >
 > > <plugin>

 <version>2.6</version>

 <configuration>

 <warSourceDirectory>WebContent</warSourceDirectory>

 > > >  If you configure
 > > warSourceDirectory
 > > >  to be WebContent,
 then keep
 > > all your
 > > > web resources (JSPs,
 > > >  WEB-INF, etc.)
 into
 > > WebContent at the
 > > > root of your
 > > >  project.If you
 want to use
 > > the
 > > > "standard
 > > >  layout", then
 remove this
 > > >  line.

 <failOnMissingWebXml>false</failOnMissingWebXml>

 > > > </configuration>

   </plugin>

 </plugins>

 > > >  Can you please let
 me know
 > > the way I
 > > > put my Bootstrap files
 > > >  as per below is it
 correct?

 > > >  https://ibb.co/eNbEdL
 > > >  Remove the
 "WebContent"
 > > >  level, and move
 webapp into
 > > src/main
 > > > (it's at src/webapp
 > > >  instead of
 > > src/main/webapp).If you
 > > > deploy your
 > > >  WAR into a server
 (Tomcat,
 http://localhost:8080/WebApp/,
 > > >  then a file at

 src/main/webapp/index.jsp will be
 > > reachable
 > > >  at

 http://localhost:8080/WebApp/index.jsp.
 > > >  Similarly, a file
 at

 src/main/webapp/WebContent/Bootstrap/Checkbox.js will be
 > > >  reachable at
 > http://localhost:8080/WebApp/WebContent/Bootstrap/Checkbox.js
 > > >
 > > > Hi Thomas,
 > > >
 > > > I did what you said and