Re: [FEEDBACK WANTED] edit button on a Maven site

Re: [FEEDBACK WANTED] edit button on a Maven site

Anders Hammar
The idea is great, but personally I don't find the icon location obvious. I
was searching for a pen icon in the lower right corner of hte screen, which
(to me) is the de-facto standard. If we have it where it is now, there
should at least be a hoover hint saying what it does.

/Anders

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 8:42 AM, Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]>

> I just managed to add an "edit" button in Maven generated sites, that will
> help people find the source of the document.
>
> See an example here (the little icon near the version):
> http://maven.apache.org/skins-archives/maven-fluido-skin-LATEST/
>
> I wanted to publish it to Maven site through
> http://svn.apache.org/r1818489
> but buildbot did not catch the SNAPSHOT m-site-p plugin: we'll have to wait
> for the release (after Doxia then Doxia Sitetools releases: please vote).
>
> Feedback appreciated on the new icon, its configuration, or any idea that
> could
> improve the feature.
> Don't hesitate to propose improvements as html changes: we'll see later
> how to
> get the update in the Velocity template that generated the html...
>
> Regards,
>
> Hervé

Re: [FEEDBACK WANTED] edit button on a Maven site

stephenconnolly
I wonder would it make more sense on the left hand side of the breadcrumb
bar:

   - Apache <https://www.apache.org/>/
   - Maven <https://maven.apache.org/index.html>/
   - Skins <https://maven.apache.org/skins-archives/index.html>/
   - Apache Maven Fluido Skin
   <https://maven.apache.org/skins-archives/maven-fluido-skin-LATEST/index.html>
   /
   - Introduction (edit)

On 18 December 2017 at 07:42, Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just managed to add an "edit" button in Maven generated sites, that will
> help people find the source of the document.
>
> See an example here (the little icon near the version):
> http://maven.apache.org/skins-archives/maven-fluido-skin-LATEST/
>
> I wanted to publish it to Maven site through
> http://svn.apache.org/r1818489
> but buildbot did not catch the SNAPSHOT m-site-p plugin: we'll have to wait
> for the release (after Doxia then Doxia Sitetools releases: please vote).
>
> Feedback appreciated on the new icon, its configuration, or any idea that
> could
> improve the feature.
> Don't hesitate to propose improvements as html changes: we'll see later
> how to
> get the update in the Velocity template that generated the html...
>
> Regards,
>
> Hervé

Re: [FEEDBACK WANTED] edit button on a Maven site

I would expect the icon on the content that can be changed, not in the
navigation bar.
That would probably be the div.bodyColumn or div.section

And maybe we need 2 edit buttons: edit+github and edit+cms_asf.
The first one is for users that waqnt to adjust content via PR.
The other one can be used by us to directly edit the content via
cms.apache.org

thanks,
Robert

On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 08:42:28 +0100, Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]>