Re: Enable Travis on Maven Scripting Plugin

Re: Enable Travis on Maven Scripting Plugin

Enrico Olivelli
Thanks
I am asking INFRA to enable Travis, let's see how it works

Enrico

Il giorno ven 4 gen 2019 alle ore 23:00 Tibor Digana
<[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> @Stephen Connolly <[hidden email]>
>  After such a big investment, especially made on your side, in Jenkins
> plugin you developed you do not want to support the GitHub PRs and you just
> let be to go with TravisCI just like that? I do not think so!
>

> On Fri, Jan 4, 2019 at 7:22 PM Stephen Connolly <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > +1 from me
> >
> > On Fri 4 Jan 2019 at 18:21, Enrico Olivelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > I would like to try out Travis on this small plugin:
> > > https://github.com/apache/maven-scripting-plugin
> > >
> > > I have pushed a minimal configuration file
> > > I need to ask to Infra, but I need approval from the community and
> > PMCs...
> > >
> > > Can I proceed ?
> > >
> > > Enrico

> > > --
> > Sent from my phone

Re: Enable Travis on Maven Scripting Plugin

Manfred Moser-4
I agree with Tibor. I would rather not have to deal with two different CI systems...

Manfred

Il sab 5 gen 2019, 08:48 Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> Le samedi 5 janvier 2019, 08:10:51 CET Olivier Lamy a écrit :
> > On Sat, 5 Jan 2019 at 12:39, Tibor Digana <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > > Manfred, did you see my comment on Slack?
> > > Shortly, let's have dedicated machines just only for Maven project with
> > > Infra support and one person from our team with Infra permissions just
> on
> > > these machines. There are 6 Windows machine. So 4 Win/Ubuntu for us.
> > > all: WDYT?
> >
> > No way. Apache Infrastructure is a shared infrastructure. There are NO
> > dedicated machine for any projects.
> > The infra budget is shared between project. I'm pretty sure you will
> never
> > convince infra of your idea...
> > If you have time to waste maybe you can try but ...... :)
> +1
>
> Enrico, you wrote
> "I see the same setup in Zookeeper and Bookkeeper and github pr plugin
> works
> like a charm (and I partecipated in setting it up)"
>
> but you never gave any pointer, any demo of what Zookeeper and Bookkeeper
> do
> with PRs (or I overlooked the email: that may happen...)
> can you show us, please?

Sure, this is an example of PR on BookKeeper, there are up to 10 checks
triggered by github, one on travis which validates the build, without
tests, on every supported java version, then you have many ASF jenkins jobs
for tests and integration tests
Bookkeeper tests are huge and so we split the test suite in 5 parts, so
that it is easier to restart a single job and not to re run the full suite
(we still have some flakes)

https://github.com/apache/bookkeeper/pull/1572

If you create a PR you will see that the user has the ability to 'skip'
some jobs, maybe because his change is only about the website or about some
specific parts.
In Bookkeeper we have very strict review-then-commit rules so every one
uses PRs in his every day activity on BK.

On Zookeeper we have a single precommit job which builds PRs and now we are
also enabling Travis this month (the project is migrating from Ant to Maven
and so Travis will be easy to use and most usable for non committers)

In both of the two projects we have configured the 'trigger phrase' and we
have whitelisted the apache committers github group for such trigger.

Currently all of the jobs are triggered even at PR creation and at
close/reopen, this can be dangerous. We can skip this for Maven and enable
only the trigger phrase.
As already said this is not possible with current maven-box plugin

Enrico

-- Enrico Olivelli

Il dom 6 gen 2019, 18:03 Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> you mean this directory is not involved in the seed job [2]?

I meant only that the name of such directory was not special, it works as
you described

when I look into this job, I see a "Process Job DSLs" step that looks on
> filesystem ".test-infra/jenkins/job_*.groovy"
>
> in Maven, the "maven-box" seed job [3] is created with the ASF's Gitpubsub
> Jenkins plugin that creates the mutlibranch pipeline jobs, that's really
> the
> same idea, no?

I didn't know. I will double check but I think you are right. I never used
multibranch pipelines and I don't use Jenkinsfiles which I thought it was a
different approach from the Jenkins DSL/seed job one

Enrico

-- Enrico Olivelli

Re: Enable Travis on Maven Scripting Plugin

Enrico Olivelli
I would like to enable Travis on other plugins, maybe I can do it on
plugins which have active prs

Okay?
Enrico

-- Enrico Olivelli