Re: Enable Travis on Maven Scripting Plugin

Re: Enable Travis on Maven Scripting Plugin

Tibor Digana
@Stephen Connolly <[hidden email]>
 After such a big investment, especially made on your side, in Jenkins
plugin you developed you do not want to support the GitHub PRs and you just
let be to go with TravisCI just like that? I do not think so!

On Fri, Jan 4, 2019 at 7:22 PM Stephen Connolly <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 from me
>
> On Fri 4 Jan 2019 at 18:21, Enrico Olivelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I would like to try out Travis on this small plugin:
> > https://github.com/apache/maven-scripting-plugin
> >
> > I have pushed a minimal configuration file
> > I need to ask to Infra, but I need approval from the community and
> PMCs...
> >
> > Can I proceed ?
> >
> > Enrico

> Sent from my phone

Re: Enable Travis on Maven Scripting Plugin

Hervé BOUTEMY
Le samedi 5 janvier 2019, 08:10:51 CET Olivier Lamy a écrit :

> On Sat, 5 Jan 2019 at 12:39, Tibor Digana <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Manfred, did you see my comment on Slack?
> > Shortly, let's have dedicated machines just only for Maven project with
> > Infra support and one person from our team with Infra permissions just on
> > these machines. There are 6 Windows machine. So 4 Win/Ubuntu for us.
> > all: WDYT?
>
> No way. Apache Infrastructure is a shared infrastructure. There are NO
> dedicated machine for any projects.
> The infra budget is shared between project. I'm pretty sure you will never
> convince infra of your idea...
> If you have time to waste maybe you can try but ...... :)
+1

Enrico, you wrote
"I see the same setup in Zookeeper and Bookkeeper and github pr plugin works
like a charm (and I partecipated in setting it up)"

but you never gave any pointer, any demo of what Zookeeper and Bookkeeper do
with PRs (or I overlooked the email: that may happen...)
can you show us, please?

> > Cheers
> > Tibor
> >
> > On Sat, Jan 5, 2019 at 12:11 AM Manfred Moser <[hidden email]>
> >
> > wrote:
> > > I agree with Tibor. I would rather not have to deal with two different
> > > CI
> > > systems...
> > >
> > > Manfred

> > > just

Re: Enable Travis on Maven Scripting Plugin

Mickael Istria-2
On Sat, Jan 5, 2019 at 8:11 AM Olivier Lamy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No way. Apache Infrastructure is a shared infrastructure. There are NO
> dedicated machine for any projects.

I guess you mean physical machines here, don't you?
I don't think physical machines are what matters, but having an infra that
can provide some isolated and dedicated VMs/Containers to projects would be
nice and probably would ease maintenance and innovation by making
everything less risky.
It's the current setup of build infra at Eclipse.org (
https://medium.com/@mikael.barbero/scaling-up-the-continuous-integration-infrastructure-for-eclipse-foundations-projects-6fd60d4dc41d
), and it really seems to be profitable to both project developers and
infra team compared to previous approaches (multi-projects CI with shared
slaves, project-specific CIs with shared slaves, project dedicated CI and
slaves...).

But anyway, if Travis can run a pass of build+tests that would catch a good
ratio of errors and report them to contributors automatically, it could be
far enough.
With my (low) understanding of the build infra at Apache, it seems to me
that enabling Travis is by far the action that would bring the most
immediate and biggest ROI here; much more than trying a revolution at
Apache build infra.

Cheers,

Re: Enable Travis on Maven Scripting Plugin

interesting

I suppose this is enabled by the content of .test-infra/jenkins directory [1]
even if I don't really understand the content and how we could add something
like this in our configuration

[1] https://github.com/apache/bookkeeper/tree/master/.test-infra/jenkins

Le samedi 5 janvier 2019, 12:34:30 CET Enrico Olivelli a écrit :

> Travis up and running on Maven Scripting Plugin
> this is the first build with integration tests
>
> mvn verify -Prun-its
> https://travis-ci.org/apache/maven-scripting-plugin/builds/475666300
>
> This is how the PR looks like:
> https://github.com/apache/maven-scripting-plugin/pull/2
>
> I think it is a great step forward for contributors
+1
such a basic setup is sufficient for 90% of our plugins, which have basic "mvn
-Prun-its verify" requirement

is it just about the addition of the .travis.yml on any git repository?

wrote:

> >> +1
> >>
> >> Enrico, you wrote
> >> "I see the same setup in Zookeeper and Bookkeeper and github pr plugin
> >> works like a charm (and I partecipated in setting it up)"
> >>
> >> but you never gave any pointer, any demo of what Zookeeper and Bookkeeper
> >> do with PRs (or I overlooked the email: that may happen...)
> >> can you show us, please?
> >
> > Sure, this is an example of PR on BookKeeper, there are up to 10 checks
> > triggered by github, one on travis which validates the build, without
> > tests, on every supported java version, then you have many ASF jenkins
> > jobs for tests and integration tests Bookkeeper tests are huge and so we
> > split the test suite in 5 parts, so that it is easier to restart a single
> > job and not to re run the full suite (we still have some flakes)
> >
> > https://github.com/apache/bookkeeper/pull/1572
> >
> > If you create a PR you will see that the user has the ability to 'skip'
> > some jobs, maybe because his change is only about the website or about
> > some specific parts. In Bookkeeper we have very strict review-then-commit
> > rules so every one uses PRs in his every day activity on BK.
> >
> > On Zookeeper we have a single precommit job which builds PRs and now we
> > are also enabling Travis this month (the project is migrating from Ant to
> > Maven and so Travis will be easy to use and most usable for non
> > committers)
> >
> > In both of the two projects we have configured the 'trigger phrase' and we
> > have whitelisted the apache committers github group for such trigger.
> >
> > Currently all of the jobs are triggered even at PR creation and at
> > close/reopen, this can be dangerous. We can skip this for Maven and
> > enable only the trigger phrase. As already said this is not possible with
> > current maven-box plugin
> >
> > Enrico
> >
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Hervé

> > --
> >

> > -- Enrico Olivelli

Re: Enable Travis on Maven Scripting Plugin

Vladimir Sitnikov
Enrico> limited to linux and osx, not windows.

Windows can be tested via AppVeyor.
The configuration is the same: one adds appveyor.yml (e.g.
https://github.com/apache/calcite/blob/master/appveyor.yml ) and asks
Infra team to enable AppVeyo-GitHub integration.

Vladimir

Re: Enable Travis on Maven Scripting Plugin

Enrico Olivelli
Il dom 6 gen 2019, 21:04 Sylwester Lachiewicz <[hidden email]> ha
scritto:

> In Maven Resolver we have a sample Travis configuration, so someone can
> test with the forked repo.
> If we go with Travis CI I would be good to have a common configuration for
> all projects (ie to run run-it etc and have .travis.yml excluded from RAT).

You don't need to skip that file, see the one I put in
maven-scripting-plugin, you can add the license header

I saw in one Apache project (don't remember now name) where they have a
> separate script to merge PR but prerequisite was to PR from forked repo has
> successful Travis build.

See Calcite and Bookkeeper for instance

This way we do not use "our" Apache accounts to run builds and developers
> are free to configure anything (and be responsible) in its own Travis
> accounts.

Enrico

> BR
> Sylwester
>
> pt., 4 sty 2019 o 19:21 Enrico Olivelli <[hidden email]> napisał(a):
>
> > Hi,
> > I would like to try out Travis on this small plugin:
> > https://github.com/apache/maven-scripting-plugin
> >
> > I have pushed a minimal configuration file
> > I need to ask to Infra, but I need approval from the community and
> PMCs...
> >
> > Can I proceed ?
> >
> > Enrico

-- Enrico Olivelli