Re: Enable Travis on Maven Scripting Plugin

Re: Enable Travis on Maven Scripting Plugin

stephenconnolly
+1 from me

Sent from my phone

On Fri 4 Jan 2019 at 22:00, Tibor Digana <[hidden email]> wrote:

> @Stephen Connolly <[hidden email]>
>  After such a big investment, especially made on your side, in Jenkins
> plugin you developed you do not want to support the GitHub PRs and you just
> let be to go with TravisCI just like that? I do not think so!

I want to add GitHub support to ASF Jenkins too, but PR verification should
be layers. No harm in having one layer provided by Travis/Codeship/etc and
the second layer by Jenkins.

The other point is even if I add PR support to the ASF Jenkins, it’s not
going to be automatic build for non-committers (which is the group of PRs
that need the CI feedback most, and with least delay... ie before they walk
away) as we simply do not have throw-away infra for building PRs that could
contain bitcoin miners triggered by a unit test, etc.

Now if infra wants to set up a dedicated “safe space” for untrusted PRs to
be built... super... but until that happens, we’ll need something like
Travis to take that risk for us.

Sent from my phone

Re: Enable Travis on Maven Scripting Plugin

olamy
On Sat, 5 Jan 2019 at 12:39, Tibor Digana <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Manfred, did you see my comment on Slack?
> Shortly, let's have dedicated machines just only for Maven project with
> Infra support and one person from our team with Infra permissions just on
> these machines. There are 6 Windows machine. So 4 Win/Ubuntu for us.
> all: WDYT?

No way. Apache Infrastructure is a shared infrastructure. There are NO
dedicated machine for any projects.
The infra budget is shared between project. I'm pretty sure you will never
convince infra of your idea...
If you have time to waste maybe you can try but ...... :)

> Cheers
> Tibor
>
> On Sat, Jan 5, 2019 at 12:11 AM Manfred Moser <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > I agree with Tibor. I would rather not have to deal with two different CI
> > systems...
> >
> > Manfred
> >
> > Tibor Digana wrote on 2019-01-04 14:00:
> >
> > > @Stephen Connolly <[hidden email]>
> > > After such a big investment, especially made on your side, in Jenkins
> > > plugin you developed you do not want to support the GitHub PRs and you
> > just
> > > let be to go with TravisCI just like that? I do not think so!

Olivier Lamy

Re: Enable Travis on Maven Scripting Plugin

Enrico Olivelli
It is not a special directory, we are using Je kins DSL, and there is a
'seed job' which parses these files and creates/updates the jobs.
This way committers without direct access to Jenkins can operate on
configuration and we can work with review then commit.
Therefore it is easy to reconstruct every job in case of disaster

Enrico

-- Enrico Olivelli

Re: Enable Travis on Maven Scripting Plugin

stephenconnolly
I believe my employer also offers free build services for OSS projects via
our CodeShip offering. If people are concerned about tying PR validation
exclusively to one vendor we should inspect the CloudBees CodeShip
capabilities (includes Docker build agents, which can be very nice...
though I confess I have not tried CodeShip yet, despite it being a product
of my employer)

I think CircleCI also provides some stuff in that line.

We could also investigate GitHub Actions for build validation... but
further down the road that may require getting Microsoft/GitHub to provide
CPU time donations.

On Sun 6 Jan 2019 at 20:04, Sylwester Lachiewicz <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> In Maven Resolver we have a sample Travis configuration, so someone can
> test with the forked repo.
> If we go with Travis CI I would be good to have a common configuration for
> all projects (ie to run run-it etc and have .travis.yml excluded from RAT).
> I saw in one Apache project (don't remember now name) where they have a
> separate script to merge PR but prerequisite was to PR from forked repo has
> successful Travis build.
> This way we do not use "our" Apache accounts to run builds and developers
> are free to configure anything (and be responsible) in its own Travis
> accounts.
>
> BR
> Sylwester
>
> pt., 4 sty 2019 o 19:21 Enrico Olivelli <[hidden email]> napisał(a):
>
> > Hi,
> > I would like to try out Travis on this small plugin:
> > https://github.com/apache/maven-scripting-plugin
> >
> > I have pushed a minimal configuration file
> > I need to ask to Infra, but I need approval from the community and
> PMCs...
> >
> > Can I proceed ?
> >
> > Enrico

Sent from my phone

Re: Enable Travis on Maven Scripting Plugin

Manfred Moser-4
Fair enough. If its just for outside contributor PRs I am agree with not owning the risk ;-)

Stephen Connolly wrote on 2019-01-04 16:06:

> On Fri 4 Jan 2019 at 22:00, Tibor Digana <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> @Stephen Connolly <[hidden email]>
>>  After such a big investment, especially made on your side, in Jenkins
>> plugin you developed you do not want to support the GitHub PRs and you just
>> let be to go with TravisCI just like that? I do not think so!
>

> I want to add GitHub support to ASF Jenkins too, but PR verification should
> be layers. No harm in having one layer provided by Travis/Codeship/etc and
> the second layer by Jenkins.
>
> The other point is even if I add PR support to the ASF Jenkins, it’s not
> going to be automatic build for non-committers (which is the group of PRs
> that need the CI feedback most, and with least delay... ie before they walk
> away) as we simply do not have throw-away infra for building PRs that could
> contain bitcoin miners triggered by a unit test, etc.
>
> Now if infra wants to set up a dedicated “safe space” for untrusted PRs to
> be built... super... but until that happens, we’ll need something like
> Travis to take that risk for us.

>> On Fri, Jan 4, 2019 at 7:22 PM Stephen Connolly <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > +1 from me

>> > PMCs...

>> > Sent from my phone
>> >

> --
> Sent from my phone

Re: Enable Travis on Maven Scripting Plugin

Enrico Olivelli
ping