Re: Draft of release notes for Maven 3.6.2

Re: Draft of release notes for Maven 3.6.2

rfscholte
The goal of release notes is that they are being read.
There should be a good balance of the amount of information, preventing
people to say TLDR;

A long list of 'MNG-NNNN John Doe' doesn't provide me useful information.
The list of 'MNG-NNNN A good JIRA title' is useful and visiting the
related Jira page will provide you the extra information, including the
actual reporter and contributors.

Summing up a list of names that helped on the release is a good way to
appreciate their help on this release.

Robert

On Sat, 31 Aug 2019 08:33:15 +0200, Tibor Digana <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> We should use authors of the issue/PR/idea.
> After the release we can ask WHY (practical goals) he wanted the feature
> more than how. The question for "HOW" has to be placed very early during
> the review, but too late after the PR has been merged.
> I expect that the reviewer developer has checked all the code, so there
> would not be questions about *how* it is done. If the reviewer does not
> understand the code and he admits the change, then it is question for him
> whenever a new trouble happens.
> So this is my opinion - listing the author(s) of the idea in every
> issue/PR.
>
> On Fri, Aug 30, 2019 at 10:40 PM Robert Scholte <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Not sure if the reader of the release notes is helped with a long list
>> of
>> reporters and contributers per issue.
>> I would expect that only a list of (unique) names is good enough.
>>
>> If there is someone that deserves extra credits, I'd say it is Stefan
>> Oehme for diving into the code, looking for memory leaks AND providing
>> patches to solve it.
>>
>> thanks for pushing this release!
>> Robert
>>
>> On Fri, 30 Aug 2019 22:02:31 +0200, Enrico Olivelli
>> <[hidden email]>
>>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi all,
>> > I have sent a draft of the release notes for 3.6.2
>> >
>> > this is the PR
>> > https://github.com/apache/maven-site/pull/99/files
>> >
>> > Feel free to add comments or push fixes directly to the branch.
>> >
>> > It still lacks a bit of formatting, but the content is ready
>> >
>> > Cheers
>> > Enrico

Re: Draft of release notes for Maven 3.6.2

Tibor Digana
For me and many users the Release Note like this are very hard to read and
hard to find what is needed.
Many times they go to google because it's easier to search than walking
through all versions of release notes.

We do not have a cumulative documentation with a list of features and we
often point to release notes whenever any uaser is asking about feature or
for a problem that he has in his build.

If it was only up to me, I would have the cumulative documentation(s) which
is in one folder, and another documents would be Jira Report generated by
"reporting" and this would include the author in the table - easy and
automated.
IMO it should be just like in the plugins - every feature fully documented
in src/site/../*.apt and pushed with the code and tests to master in one
commit.

Then the Release Notes would be a matter of command line "mvn site ...".

On Sat, Aug 31, 2019 at 10:45 AM Robert Scholte <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> The goal of release notes is that they are being read.
> There should be a good balance of the amount of information, preventing
> people to say TLDR;
>
> A long list of 'MNG-NNNN John Doe' doesn't provide me useful information.
> The list of 'MNG-NNNN A good JIRA title' is useful and visiting the
> related Jira page will provide you the extra information, including the
> actual reporter and contributors.
>
> Summing up a list of names that helped on the release is a good way to
> appreciate their help on this release.
>
> Robert
>

> On Sat, 31 Aug 2019 08:33:15 +0200, Tibor Digana <[hidden email]>
>
> wrote:
>
> > We should use authors of the issue/PR/idea.
> > After the release we can ask WHY (practical goals) he wanted the feature
> > more than how. The question for "HOW" has to be placed very early during
> > the review, but too late after the PR has been merged.
> > I expect that the reviewer developer has checked all the code, so there
> > would not be questions about *how* it is done. If the reviewer does not
> > understand the code and he admits the change, then it is question for him
> > whenever a new trouble happens.
> > So this is my opinion - listing the author(s) of the idea in every
> > issue/PR.
> >
> > On Fri, Aug 30, 2019 at 10:40 PM Robert Scholte <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Not sure if the reader of the release notes is helped with a long list
> >> of
> >> reporters and contributers per issue.
> >> I would expect that only a list of (unique) names is good enough.
> >>
> >> If there is someone that deserves extra credits, I'd say it is Stefan
> >> Oehme for diving into the code, looking for memory leaks AND providing
> >> patches to solve it.
> >>
> >> thanks for pushing this release!
> >> Robert
> >>
> >> On Fri, 30 Aug 2019 22:02:31 +0200, Enrico Olivelli
> >> <[hidden email]>

Re: Draft of release notes for Maven 3.6.2

Tibor Digana
We have contributors listed directly in the POM
https://github.com/apache/maven/blob/master/pom.xml#L120
If we started with this great idea to list contributors in POM, we should
continue with it and this is the same privilege for future contributurs as
well. They will be listed on the Maven sites which is a big Thx from us
ASF/Maven for them.
Enrico, you have hard time because you are doing it only by your hands. Why
not to ask the contributor to add himself to the POM while the pull-request
is open? This would simplify your work with the release and then the
release notes is more simple to do.

For instance in the JUnit4 group the author and contributor is writing the
release notes on Wiki. It is part of the normal work, otherwise it is
incomplete.
I was also asked by the comitter to describe the fix/feature on Wiki in
JUnit4. But there must be writtent rules and culture in the team to remind
the contributor to write the release notes.
You as committer cannot compete with a large number of contributors!
The contributors must understand that the work is not only about Java code,
it is also documentation of whatever manner.

Also we should ask a contributor whether he wants to be in the list, but we
cannot ignore the contributor in the list.
And what is the next fact, the list of contributors exists for some time.
We should continue in this tradition and we should pickup a new commiter
from this list. It is simple because we can see that some contributors are
more active than the others and we can see it based on the the number of
issues MNG-xxxxx. We will very hardly "decompile" the release notes and
find such statistics. We can do it only in JIRA.
But still "reporter" is important because without him the idea would not
exist and this is important for users, I mean the idea, but contributor
will be always in the development team or in the users which is the matter
of time when somebody writes the code. Contributors are important for
development and us in ASF but the reporter is relevant for users because he
is the architect of "business idea" - of course it is not the same as in
the enterprise. In the enterprise, the customer does not care who is
contributor ala developer, he cares about the work done for him.