Re: Download links

Hervé BOUTEMY
found something that can explain: when using the real url starting with /
components/, the CGI script works [4]
But not when using the user-visible url (that uses .htaccess rewrite rules)
[5]

INFRA Jira issue opened: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-15513

[4] https://maven.apache.org/components/plugins/maven-jdeprscan-plugin/
download.cgi

[5] https://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-jdeprscan-plugin/download.cgi

Le samedi 18 novembre 2017, 01:18:27 CET Hervé BOUTEMY a écrit :

> ok, xdoc/download.xml.vm was missing for this new plugin: I added it and
> manually added a generated html result to svnpubsub location [1]
>
> this is not yet sufficient: I don't know why download.cgi script does not
> find download.html
>
> this is working on main Maven site [2] from its own svnpubsub location [3]
>
> any hint?
>
> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>
> [1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/production/maven/components/
> plugins/maven-jdeprscan-plugin/
>
> [2] http://maven.apache.org/download.cgi
>
> [3] https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/production/maven/content/
>
> Le vendredi 17 novembre 2017, 12:47:51 CET Hervé BOUTEMY a écrit :
> > the deeplink used to work: that's the objective of our
> > "resources/download.cgi + xdoc/download.xml.vm" pattern that was created
> > some years ago.
> > download.cgi is supposed to use standard ASF script that uses
> > download.html
> > as content
> >
> > I don't know why this does not work any more.
> >
> > I vaguely remember something a few years ago about executable bit, some
> > headache I had at that time to try to fix working with interested people
> > (ie. not many, but Sebb was probably one of the few). Perhaps it's time to
> > rework on it: I'll see tonight if I can find references on the analysis
> > already done at that time.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Hervé
> >
> > Le vendredi 17 novembre 2017, 12:27:49 CET Robert Scholte a écrit :
> > > This topic deserves a separate mailthread.
> > >
> > > Quoting Sebb on a different thread:
> > > "The download link points to the top-level of the ASF mirror system.
> > >
> > > This makes it very hard to use."
> > >
> > > AFAIK the ASF says there should be a download button for every released
> > > product.
> > > In case of Maven we're talking about a lot of projects, and downloads
> > > should be redirected via a mirror.
> > > I don't think it is possible to do a deeplink to a specific folder.
> > >
> > > Also, in case of Maven plugins and other dependencies (all excluding the
> > > Maven distribution itself) it is kind of strange to provide a download
> > > link when we could assume that they only want to have the
> > > plugin/dependency XML fragment.
> > >
> > > I agree that the link is kind of useless right now, but also the best we
> > > can do when providing a direct download link.
> > > If there's no way to do a deeplink, I'd prefer to remove it from the
> > > pages
> > > and announcements.
> > >
> > > thanks,
> > > Robert