Re: Consumer pom and relative disk paths for parent pom

Re: Consumer pom and relative disk paths for parent pom

Enrico Olivelli
Robert,
do we have news about this great feature ?

Enrico

Il giorno sab 30 nov 2019 alle ore 14:38 Enrico Olivelli <
[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> Good news
>
> Il giorno sab 30 nov 2019 alle ore 14:27 Robert Scholte <
> [hidden email]> ha scritto:
>
>> Hi Enrico,
>>
>> current implementation says groupId+artifact are required, but you can
>> either specify version or relativePath (or omit it, meaning ../pom.xml)
>> I've decided to keep G+A so MAven can verify the pom is pointing to the
>> right parent.
>> MNG-6656 has a demo attached which shows you the new valid pom structure.
>>

> This is the link for reference
>
> https://github.com/apache/maven/pull/286/files#diff-367b1a6eb386aada5bd28a0aaebe645bR36
>
> I am totally ok for keeping G+A, it sounds very sensible to me.
>
> Thank you so much, I missed that part of the change, or at least I forgot
> about it
>
> I am really sure I want this new feature in 3.7.0 !
>
> It looks like we are adding great stuff to Maven for this new major release
>
> Enrico
>

>> thanks,
>> Robert
>>
>> On 30-11-2019 13:39:12, Enrico Olivelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> when we move to the consumer pom we can leverage the disk layout of
>> projects inside the same repository while looking for the parent pom.
>>
>> Currently you can use the element to refer to the location
>> of a parent pom, AFAIK this is only an hint for Maven and for tools: you
>> must always copy all of the coordinates of the parent module because when
>> you publish your pom the consumer must be able to find such parent module
>> from remote repositories, without having the physical layout of the source
>> code.
>>
>> With the consumer pom with can let the build pom have only the
>> relativePath
>> element and then we will fill the consumer (deployed) pom with the
>> effective parent coordinates.
>>
>> This will simply a lot this part of Maven that is quite annoying for users
>>
>> Thoughts?
>> Enrico

Re: Consumer pom and relative disk paths for parent pom

rfscholte
next on my list

Robert

[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> Good news
>
> Il giorno sab 30 nov 2019 alle ore 14:27 Robert Scholte
> [hidden email]> ha scritto:
>
>> Hi Enrico,
>>
>> current implementation says groupId+artifact are required, but you can
>> either specify version or relativePath (or omit it, meaning ../pom.xml)
>> I've decided to keep G+A so MAven can verify the pom is pointing to the
>> right parent.
>> MNG-6656 has a demo attached which shows you the new valid pom structure.
>>

> This is the link for reference
>
> https://github.com/apache/maven/pull/286/files#diff-367b1a6eb386aada5bd28a0aaebe645bR36
>
> I am totally ok for keeping G+A, it sounds very sensible to me.
>
> Thank you so much, I missed that part of the change, or at least I forgot
> about it
>
> I am really sure I want this new feature in 3.7.0 !
>
> It looks like we are adding great stuff to Maven for this new major release
>
> Enrico
>

>> thanks,
>> Robert
>>
>> On 30-11-2019 13:39:12, Enrico Olivelli wrote:
>> Hi,
>> when we move to the consumer pom we can leverage the disk layout of
>> projects inside the same repository while looking for the parent pom.
>>
>> Currently you can use the element to refer to the location
>> of a parent pom, AFAIK this is only an hint for Maven and for tools: you
>> must always copy all of the coordinates of the parent module because when
>> you publish your pom the consumer must be able to find such parent module
>> from remote repositories, without having the physical layout of the source
>> code.
>>
>> With the consumer pom with can let the build pom have only the
>> relativePath
>> element and then we will fill the consumer (deployed) pom with the
>> effective parent coordinates.
>>
>> This will simply a lot this part of Maven that is quite annoying for users
>>
>> Thoughts?
>> Enrico

Re: Consumer pom and relative disk paths for parent pom

rfscholte
It looks like the branches[1][2] are ready for review, jenkins[3] is happy too.

Robert

[1] https://github.com/apache/maven/pull/286

[2] https://github.com/apache/maven-integration-testing/pull/66

[3] https://builds.apache.org/job/maven-box/job/maven/job/MNG-6656/

[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> Good news
>
> Il giorno sab 30 nov 2019 alle ore 14:27 Robert Scholte
> [hidden email]> ha scritto:
>
>> Hi Enrico,
>>
>> current implementation says groupId+artifact are required, but you can
>> either specify version or relativePath (or omit it, meaning ../pom.xml)
>> I've decided to keep G+A so MAven can verify the pom is pointing to the
>> right parent.
>> MNG-6656 has a demo attached which shows you the new valid pom structure.
>>

> This is the link for reference
>
> https://github.com/apache/maven/pull/286/files#diff-367b1a6eb386aada5bd28a0aaebe645bR36
>
> I am totally ok for keeping G+A, it sounds very sensible to me.
>
> Thank you so much, I missed that part of the change, or at least I forgot
> about it
>
> I am really sure I want this new feature in 3.7.0 !
>
> It looks like we are adding great stuff to Maven for this new major release
>
> Enrico
>

>> thanks,
>> Robert
>>
>> On 30-11-2019 13:39:12, Enrico Olivelli wrote:
>> Hi,
>> when we move to the consumer pom we can leverage the disk layout of
>> projects inside the same repository while looking for the parent pom.
>>
>> Currently you can use the element to refer to the location
>> of a parent pom, AFAIK this is only an hint for Maven and for tools: you
>> must always copy all of the coordinates of the parent module because when
>> you publish your pom the consumer must be able to find such parent module
>> from remote repositories, without having the physical layout of the source
>> code.
>>
>> With the consumer pom with can let the build pom have only the
>> relativePath
>> element and then we will fill the consumer (deployed) pom with the
>> effective parent coordinates.
>>
>> This will simply a lot this part of Maven that is quite annoying for users
>>
>> Thoughts?
>> Enrico

Re: Consumer pom and relative disk paths for parent pom

Enrico Olivelli
+1 from me (I have also approved on github)

We need more eyes on this patch.

Thanks Robert

Enrico