Re: Are snapshots available in some Maven repo?

Re: Are snapshots available in some Maven repo?

Mickael Istria-2
Hi,

Eclipse m2e, as a consumer of Maven as a library, would love to see the
latest HEAD from master published automatically as SNAPSHOTs soon after
every change is made. This seems like a requirement to enable continuous
feedback from m2e to Maven.
Publishing some other branches or commits doesn't seem interesting to
Eclipse m2e at the moment.

Cheers,

Re: Are snapshots available in some Maven repo?

stephenconnolly
On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 at 09:11, Mickael Istria <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Eclipse m2e, as a consumer of Maven as a library, would love to see the
> latest HEAD from master published automatically as SNAPSHOTs soon after
> every change is made. This seems like a requirement to enable continuous
> feedback from m2e to Maven.
> Publishing some other branches or commits doesn't seem interesting to
> Eclipse m2e at the moment.

My point is that we need a clearly defined policy as to exactly what
branch(es) are automatically pushed and when.

That policy could be *one* of:
* "master" if there are SCM changes detected on Sunday at 00:00 UTC
* "master" if there are SCM changes detected at 00:00 UTC
* "master" as soon as SCM changes are detected
* "integration" as soon as SCM changes are detected
* etc

We just need to be crystal clear exactly what policy we are following.
Right now the policy we are following is:

* Manually from whatever branch is appropriate and only when there is a
request for them to be published.

There are good and valid reasons for any of these policies (or indeed other
alternative policies). The problems occur if you try to mix policy.

For example, if I as a developer know that snapshots could be published at
any time then I can choose between `always` and `never` as the update
policy depending on whether I want to focus on diagnosing issues on a
consistent base or discovering issues on shifting sand.

If I know that snapshots will only ever be published once a week then I can
leave the update policy at the default of daily because I'll need to
rebuild my mental context on the next week anyway and it's only the first
build on Monday's that will have the time kill.

So the thing that we need to do is decide if we want to change our policy,
if yes, then decide what we want to change it to *and* both implement it
consistently and publish it clearly.

Finally we have the ASF legal requirements that mean we need to clarify to
all that -SNAPSHOTs are not actually releases and are only made available
for validation prior to VOTE threads... because currently -SNAPSHOTs are
rare this is not a big issue... if we have the CI pushing -SNAPSHOTs at a
regular cadence the risk of *users* starting to use -SNAPSHOTs as releases
rises so we would need to find ways to mitigate such risks

> Cheers,

Re: Are snapshots available in some Maven repo?

Dan Tran
how about just deploy nightly snapshot of active 'main' branch ( ie master)?

-D

On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 9:03 AM Robert Scholte <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > rebuild my mental context on the next week anyway and it's only the first
> > build on Monday's that will have the time kill.
> >
> > So the thing that we need to do is decide if we want to change our
> > policy,
> > if yes, then decide what we want to change it to *and* both implement it
> > consistently and publish it clearly.
> >
> > Finally we have the ASF legal requirements that mean we need to clarify
> > all that -SNAPSHOTs are not actually releases and are only made available
> > for validation prior to VOTE threads... because currently -SNAPSHOTs are
> > rare this is not a big issue... if we have the CI pushing -SNAPSHOTs at a
> > regular cadence the risk of *users* starting to use -SNAPSHOTs as
> > releases
> > rises so we would need to find ways to mitigate such risks
> >

> >> Cheers,

Re: Are snapshots available in some Maven repo?

olamy
We already had this discussion so many times and it always turns to non
ended complicated discussion with very complicated cases which NEVER happen
here....
So the most important is: We must take it easy and avoid overthinking!.....
+1 for every night a master snapshot or every master changes.
but please keep it simple!!!!

Olivier Lamy

Re: Are snapshots available in some Maven repo?

stephenconnolly
I say if we are doing automatic snapshot deployment, master branch only and
either weekly or daily or on every commit... pick one for all our projects.

Other branches would just confuse things so keep them as manual deployment
and if doing that require the branch name included in the version number.

--
Sent from my phone