Re: 3 ITs permanently fail on Linux / Maven Core

Re: 3 ITs permanently fail on Linux / Maven Core

Tibor Digana
Jenkins build is in progress and waiting for next available executor.
I think we will have the result today evening.
Shortly I skipped '.mavenrc' merging, see [1] and I expect successful
ITs(0553, 4747, 4590) and I expect newly failed IT (6720) which should be
orthogonal to our current problem.
For more information see the Jira [2].
[1]: https://builds.apache.org/job/maven-box/job/maven/job/master/
[2]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6725

On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 9:40 AM Tibor Digana <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> > So there must be a bug in our code then. I have analysed the code I
>> think
>> > the problem should be with spaces in the value of environment variable
>> > MAVEN_OPTS. There is no quotation marks around such environemnt variable
>> > when we have such rough element in String[] when we call
>> > Runtime.execute(cli, String[]).
>> >
>> > Here is the list of comments from Slack and the way how we got there:
>> >
>> > the `forkMode=auto` in profile `embedded` so it's okay. But I analyzed
>> > `MavenITmng4747JavaAgentUsedByPluginTest` and Line  53 `newVerifier(
>> > testDir.getAbsolutePath() )` and I got to `CommandLine` class from
>> > `maven-shared-utils:0.9`. Although forking is used if we use env vars in
>> > the IT but I got to `execute()` method and I was interested in `String[]
>> > environment = getEnvironmentVariables();` which finally is passed to
>> Java
>> > running forked process. Please tell me if this code is okay for you:
>> >     ```public String[] getEnvironmentVariables()
>> >     {
>> >         addSystemEnvironment();
>> >         String[] environmentVars = new String[envVars.size()];
>> >         int i = 0;
>> >         for ( String name : envVars.keySet() )
>> >         {
>> >             String value = envVars.get( name );
>> >             environmentVars[i] = name + "=" + value;
>> >             i++;
>> >         }
>> >         return environmentVars;
>> >     }```
>> > I do not see quotation marks. This is important if you use two or more
>> > systm properties in `MAVEN_OPTS=-Dk1=v1 -Dk2=v2` - there is a space!
>> > Next issue is that the env vars of the parent process are merged with
>> given
>> > vars for the child process in `addSystemEnvironment();`, Line 239.
>> >
>> > that's why maybe platform Linux does not understand the space and maybe
>> > Windows does not have a problem with it.
>> >
>> > merging env vars is strange because of JAVA_HOME, there are at least
>> two.
>> > One in CLI and second in env vars.
>> >
>> > I think we should use latest `maven-shared-utils` and check the code in
>> > shared utils. Maybe to fix shared utils and meanwhile use snapshot
>> version,
>> > maybe.

>> 11, 12
>> (8

>> https://builds.apache.org/job/maven-box/job/maven/job/maven-resolver-1.3.3
>> > >

>> https://builds.apache.org/job/maven-box/job/maven/job/maven-resolver-1.3.3
>> > >

>> https://builds.apache.org/job/maven-box/job/maven/job/maven-resolver-1.3.3

>> /home/jenkins/.m2/settings-security.xml (No

>> Failed

>> expected:</home/jenkins/jenkins-slave/workspace/ven-resolver-1.3.3-reset-h
>> > >
>> was:</home/jenkins/jenkins-slave/workspace/ven-resolver-1.3.3-reset-head-

>> .MavenITmng4747JavaAgentUsedByPluginTest.testit(Maven

Re: 3 ITs permanently fail on Linux / Maven Core

Hervé BOUTEMY
look at debug trace:
[ -f /home/jenkins/.mavenrc ]
+ . /home/jenkins/.mavenrc
+ MAVEN_OPTS=-Xmx1024m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m

there is no "global" and "local" env variables: there is a script (/home/
jenkins/.mavenrc) that defines MAVEN_OPTS env variable, then overrides previous
value that was set in our IT code

such script should define:
MAVEN_OPTS=-Xmx1024m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m ${MAVEN_OPTS}

this will solve issues of Maven core ITs requiring MAVEN_OPTS

I don't know for maven-archetype, I'm not working on it, and this thread is
not about it: I don't know why you're mixing everything and make simple things
complex

Le mardi 30 juillet 2019, 09:40:43 CEST Tibor Digana a écrit :

> [...]
> > > two.
> > > One in CLI and second in env vars.
> > >
> > > I think we should use latest `maven-shared-utils` and check the code in
> > > shared utils. Maybe to fix shared utils and meanwhile use snapshot
> >
> > version,
> >
> > > maybe.

> > 11, 12

> > (8

> > https://builds.apache.org/job/maven-box/job/maven/job/maven-resolver-1.3.3

> > https://builds.apache.org/job/maven-box/job/maven/job/maven-resolver-1.3.3

> > https://builds.apache.org/job/maven-box/job/maven/job/maven-resolver-1.3.3

> > (No

> > expected:</home/jenkins/jenkins-slave/workspace/ven-resolver-1.3.3-reset-h

> > was:</home/jenkins/jenkins-slave/workspace/ven-resolver-1.3.3-reset-head-

> > .MavenITmng4747JavaAgentUsedByPluginTest.testit(Maven

Re: 3 ITs permanently fail on Linux / Maven Core

ok Herve, thank You very much. I am watching the build . Perhaps we should
fix our code first and then report an issue to INFRA because maybe they
have a reason why they are providing their setup on their machines.