Question...concerning classifier

during my implementations i have come to the conclusion if someone sets
a classifier for the execution of a plugin...it would be useful to check
the validity of the classifier...

Based on that i started to search but unfortunately i didn't found a
definition etc. documentation how a valid classifier looks like or the
inverse what it does not allowed to be..

So does someone know of any kind of definition how a valid classifier
looks like? Some kind of reference ?

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

Re: Question...concerning classifier

Tibor Digana-2
Hm, classifiers in plugins, not really used at all. Dependencies yes. I
guess classifier is more overhead and evil than benefit.
I remember Maven docu talked about classifier jdk1.5 as an example and
maybe environment specifics, but I guess it was the only examples in the
tutorial.
Regarding valid characters in classifier - no idea if any exists.

On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 7:12 PM, Karl Heinz Marbaise <[hidden email]>

> during my implementations i have come to the conclusion if someone sets a
> classifier for the execution of a plugin...it would be useful to check the
> validity of the classifier...
>
> Based on that i started to search but unfortunately i didn't found a
> definition etc. documentation how a valid classifier looks like or the
> inverse what it does not allowed to be..
>
> So does someone know of any kind of definition how a valid classifier
> looks like? Some kind of reference ?
>
> Kind regards
> Karl Heinz Marbaise

Cheers
Tibor

Re: Question...concerning classifier

Karl Heinz Marbaise-3
Hi Tibor,

On 12/28/15 7:22 PM, Tibor Digana wrote:
> Hm, classifiers in plugins, not really used at all. Dependencies yes. I
> guess classifier is more overhead and evil than benefit.

If you build for several environments than you need classifiers (e.g.
with maven-assembly-plugin), maven-jar-plugin (test-jar, jar),
maven-deploy-plugin, maven-source-plugin, maven-javadoc-plugin..just
mention some examples.. etc...i wouldn't call it evil...

> I remember Maven docu talked about classifier jdk1.5 as an example and
> maybe environment specifics, but I guess it was the only examples in the
> tutorial.

Yes that's what i know of as well...

> Regarding valid characters in classifier - no idea if any exists.

Exactly that's what i'm searching for...

> On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 7:12 PM, Karl Heinz Marbaise <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     during my implementations i have come to the conclusion if someone
>     sets a classifier for the execution of a plugin...it would be useful
>     to check the validity of the classifier...
>
>     Based on that i started to search but unfortunately i didn't found a
>     definition etc. documentation how a valid classifier looks like or
>     the inverse what it does not allowed to be..
>
>     So does someone know of any kind of definition how a valid
>     classifier looks like? Some kind of reference ?
>
>     Kind regards
>     Karl Heinz Marbaise

Re: Question...concerning classifier

ChrisGWarp
That is pretty much what I'd come up with too. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad