Querying Maven Central Index by Class Name

Querying Maven Central Index by Class Name

Tomo Suzuki
Hi Maven users,

Does anybody know how to query class names in Maven Central Index
(nexus-maven-repository-index.gz) [1] to get Maven artifacts that
contain the class?

I'm exploring ways to find Maven artifacts by a class name. For
example, I want to find which versions of Guava had class
"com.google.common.util.concurrent.MoreExecutors" with
"sameThreadExecutor" method. More background is in my GitHub issue
[2].

I found Central Index page [1] explaining
nexus-maven-repository-index.gz and use of "luke".
The Maven Indexer's documentation [3] says I should be able to find
"classnames" field, but I could not find the field when I opened it in
luke [4]. Even if helps looking up class name, it might not provide
method information. Does anybody know how to use the index?

[1]: https://maven.apache.org/repository/central-index.html
[2]: https://github.com/GoogleCloudPlatform/cloud-opensource-java/issues/1095
[3]: https://maven.apache.org/maven-indexer-archives/maven-indexer-LATEST/indexer-core/
[4]: https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/28604/73096813-b67dfe80-3eb3-11ea-82e4-dec1f9ca7519.png

Tomo

Re: Querying Maven Central Index by Class Name

Anthony Whitford
You may have some luck with this:  https://oss.sonatype.org/ <https://oss.sonatype.org/>
You can search artifacts for a class name, for example.
Try searching for:  com.google.common.util.concurrent.MoreExecutors
Sadly, it doesn’t return results for:  com.google.common.util.concurrent.MoreExecutors$SameThreadExecutorService
However, you can use the Archive Browser to drill into an archive and see the MoreExecutors$SameThreadExecutorService class.

If you have Artifactory, that also has a feature where you can search artifacts for classes.

This site can also be a useful resource:  https://mvnrepository.com/ <https://mvnrepository.com/>

I am not aware of any tool that will index methods.

> On Jan 24, 2020, at 11:32 AM, Tomo Suzuki <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Maven users,
>
> Does anybody know how to query class names in Maven Central Index
> (nexus-maven-repository-index.gz) [1] to get Maven artifacts that
> contain the class?
>
> I'm exploring ways to find Maven artifacts by a class name. For
> example, I want to find which versions of Guava had class
> "com.google.common.util.concurrent.MoreExecutors" with
> "sameThreadExecutor" method. More background is in my GitHub issue
> [2].
>
> I found Central Index page [1] explaining
> nexus-maven-repository-index.gz and use of "luke".
> The Maven Indexer's documentation [3] says I should be able to find
> "classnames" field, but I could not find the field when I opened it in
> luke [4]. Even if helps looking up class name, it might not provide
> method information. Does anybody know how to use the index?
>
> [1]: https://maven.apache.org/repository/central-index.html
> [2]: https://github.com/GoogleCloudPlatform/cloud-opensource-java/issues/1095
> [3]: https://maven.apache.org/maven-indexer-archives/maven-indexer-LATEST/indexer-core/
> [4]: https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/28604/73096813-b67dfe80-3eb3-11ea-82e4-dec1f9ca7519.png

> Tomo

Re: Querying Maven Central Index by Class Name

Tomo Suzuki
Anthony and Robert,

Thank you for information. They both seem better than querying
nexus-maven-repository-index.gz by myself.

Regards,
Tomo

On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 15:38 Robert Scholte <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Try
> https://search.maven.org/search?q=fc:com.google.common.util.concurrent.MoreExecutors
>

> On https://search.maven.org/ you can click on Advanced options to see
> all  possibilities
>
> Robert
> On 24-1-2020 20:33:21, Tomo Suzuki <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Maven users,
>
> Does anybody know how to query class names in Maven Central Index
> (nexus-maven-repository-index.gz) [1] to get Maven artifacts that
> contain the class?
>
> I'm exploring ways to find Maven artifacts by a class name. For
> example, I want to find which versions of Guava had class
> "com.google.common.util.concurrent.MoreExecutors" with
> "sameThreadExecutor" method. More background is in my GitHub issue
> [2].
>
> I found Central Index page [1] explaining
> nexus-maven-repository-index.gz and use of "luke".
> The Maven Indexer's documentation [3] says I should be able to find
> "classnames" field, but I could not find the field when I opened it in
> luke [4]. Even if helps looking up class name, it might not provide
> method information. Does anybody know how to use the index?
>
> [1]: https://maven.apache.org/repository/central-index.html
> [2]:
> https://github.com/GoogleCloudPlatform/cloud-opensource-java/issues/1095
> [3]:
> https://maven.apache.org/maven-indexer-archives/maven-indexer-LATEST/indexer-core/
> [4]:
> https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/28604/73096813-b67dfe80-3eb3-11ea-82e4-dec1f9ca7519.png

> Tomo

Tomo

Re: Querying Maven Central Index by Class Name

Tamás Cservenák
Not to mention that the indexes published by central does NOT have class
names available.

On Sat, Jan 25, 2020 at 5:25 PM Tomo Suzuki <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Anthony and Robert,
>
> Thank you for information. They both seem better than querying
> nexus-maven-repository-index.gz by myself.
>
> Regards,
> Tomo
>
> On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 15:38 Robert Scholte <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Try
> >
> https://search.maven.org/search?q=fc:com.google.common.util.concurrent.MoreExecutors
> >

> > On https://search.maven.org/ you can click on Advanced options to see
> > all  possibilities
> >
> > Robert
> > On 24-1-2020 20:33:21, Tomo Suzuki <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi Maven users,
> >
> > Does anybody know how to query class names in Maven Central Index
> > (nexus-maven-repository-index.gz) [1] to get Maven artifacts that
> > contain the class?
> >
> > I'm exploring ways to find Maven artifacts by a class name. For
> > example, I want to find which versions of Guava had class
> > "com.google.common.util.concurrent.MoreExecutors" with
> > "sameThreadExecutor" method. More background is in my GitHub issue
> > [2].
> >
> > I found Central Index page [1] explaining
> > nexus-maven-repository-index.gz and use of "luke".
> > The Maven Indexer's documentation [3] says I should be able to find
> > "classnames" field, but I could not find the field when I opened it in
> > luke [4]. Even if helps looking up class name, it might not provide
> > method information. Does anybody know how to use the index?
> >
> > [1]: https://maven.apache.org/repository/central-index.html
> > [2]:
> > https://github.com/GoogleCloudPlatform/cloud-opensource-java/issues/1095
> > [3]:
> >
> https://maven.apache.org/maven-indexer-archives/maven-indexer-LATEST/indexer-core/
> > [4]:
> >
> https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/28604/73096813-b67dfe80-3eb3-11ea-82e4-dec1f9ca7519.png
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Tomo

> > --
> Regards,
> Tomo

Re: Querying Maven Central Index by Class Name

Tomo Suzuki
>  indexes published by central does NOT have class names available

Thank you for clarification!

On Sat, Jan 25, 2020 at 11:35 AM Tamás Cservenák <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Not to mention that the indexes published by central does NOT have class
> names available.

> On Sat, Jan 25, 2020 at 5:25 PM Tomo Suzuki <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Anthony and Robert,
> >
> > Thank you for information. They both seem better than querying
> > nexus-maven-repository-index.gz by myself.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Tomo
> >
> > On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 15:38 Robert Scholte <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Try
> > >
> > https://search.maven.org/search?q=fc:com.google.common.util.concurrent.MoreExecutors
> > >

> > > On https://search.maven.org/ you can click on Advanced options to see
> > > all  possibilities
> > >
> > > Robert
> > > On 24-1-2020 20:33:21, Tomo Suzuki <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Hi Maven users,
> > >
> > > Does anybody know how to query class names in Maven Central Index
> > > (nexus-maven-repository-index.gz) [1] to get Maven artifacts that
> > > contain the class?
> > >
> > > I'm exploring ways to find Maven artifacts by a class name. For
> > > example, I want to find which versions of Guava had class
> > > "com.google.common.util.concurrent.MoreExecutors" with
> > > "sameThreadExecutor" method. More background is in my GitHub issue
> > > [2].
> > >
> > > I found Central Index page [1] explaining
> > > nexus-maven-repository-index.gz and use of "luke".
> > > The Maven Indexer's documentation [3] says I should be able to find
> > > "classnames" field, but I could not find the field when I opened it in
> > > luke [4]. Even if helps looking up class name, it might not provide
> > > method information. Does anybody know how to use the index?
> > >
> > > [1]: https://maven.apache.org/repository/central-index.html
> > > [2]:
> > > https://github.com/GoogleCloudPlatform/cloud-opensource-java/issues/1095
> > > [3]: