Purpose and Status of 'stage' Plugin

Brad Harper
Can anyone comment on the purpose [and status] of the 'stage' plugin?

Apart from the statement

   Its main use is for copying artifacts from a staging repository
   to the real repository.

at http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-stage-plugin/, there isn't
much explanation. I don't find many references to it in posts, nor
does it seem to be addressed by the upcoming "Maven: A Definitive
Guide" and older "Better Builds with Maven" texts.

Specifically, what is a 'staging repository' [vs. a 'real repository']?

Would the plugin be used to move all artifacts from one repo to
another, or does it move only specific artifacts/versions?

From content at
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-stage-plugin/usage.html,
the answer would appear to be the former ... but I don't see much
utility in that use case.

What am I missing? Thanks.

Brad

Re: Purpose and Status of 'stage' Plugin

Wayne Fay
(As I understand it...)

Before the Maven dev team pushes builds out to the general public,
they get pushed to a staging repo where they can be fully tested. Once
the tests are complete, the files need to be pushed from the staging
repo to the "real" public repo. This plugin makes the process easier
and reduces errors.

You can probably find more info about this plugin in the Maven Dev
list archives.

Wayne

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 1:38 PM, Harper, Brad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can anyone comment on the purpose [and status] of the 'stage' plugin?
>
> Apart from the statement
>
>   Its main use is for copying artifacts from a staging repository
>   to the real repository.
>
> at http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-stage-plugin/, there isn't
> much explanation. I don't find many references to it in posts, nor
> does it seem to be addressed by the upcoming "Maven: A Definitive
> Guide" and older "Better Builds with Maven" texts.
>
> Specifically, what is a 'staging repository' [vs. a 'real repository']?
>
> Would the plugin be used to move all artifacts from one repo to
> another, or does it move only specific artifacts/versions?
>
> From content at
> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-stage-plugin/usage.html,
> the answer would appear to be the former ... but I don't see much
> utility in that use case.
>
> What am I missing? Thanks.
>
> Brad

RE: Purpose and Status of 'stage' Plugin

mgainty

doesnt appear to work (properly)
Note: Although it looks like we are only copying version 2.0.3, we are in fact copying everything from the source URL to the target. This is due to a bug and will change in the future.

for now i would suggest using plain cp / (remote)rcp / (secure)scp

Martin
Disclaimer and confidentiality note

> Subject: Purpose and Status of 'stage' Plugin
> Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 15:38:51 -0500
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
>
> Can anyone comment on the purpose [and status] of the 'stage' plugin?
>
> Apart from the statement
>
>    Its main use is for copying artifacts from a staging repository
>    to the real repository.
>
> at http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-stage-plugin/, there isn't
> much explanation. I don't find many references to it in posts, nor
> does it seem to be addressed by the upcoming "Maven: A Definitive
> Guide" and older "Better Builds with Maven" texts.
>
> Specifically, what is a 'staging repository' [vs. a 'real repository']?
>
> Would the plugin be used to move all artifacts from one repo to
> another, or does it move only specific artifacts/versions?
>
> From content at
> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-stage-plugin/usage.html,
> the answer would appear to be the former ... but I don't see much
> utility in that use case.
>
> What am I missing? Thanks.
>
> Brad

Re: Purpose and Status of 'stage' Plugin

Dan Tran
At my company, at release time ( ie after we beat the heck out of
snapshot build), we cut a release, but deploy to a staging repo.
Then more ppl will test it. if approve, we use stage plugin to move
the "entire" staging repo to a officially one.

if not approve, we yank the staging repo, do some fix and cut another
release to staging.

The process repeats until everyone likes it.

Currently the stage plugin can only move source target thru http, to a
target repo using scp.

-D

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 1:47 PM, Wayne Fay <[hidden email]> wrote:

> (As I understand it...)
>
> Before the Maven dev team pushes builds out to the general public,
> they get pushed to a staging repo where they can be fully tested. Once
> the tests are complete, the files need to be pushed from the staging
> repo to the "real" public repo. This plugin makes the process easier
> and reduces errors.
>
> You can probably find more info about this plugin in the Maven Dev
> list archives.
>
> Wayne
>
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 1:38 PM, Harper, Brad <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Can anyone comment on the purpose [and status] of the 'stage' plugin?
>>
>> Apart from the statement
>>
>>   Its main use is for copying artifacts from a staging repository
>>   to the real repository.
>>
>> at http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-stage-plugin/, there isn't
>> much explanation. I don't find many references to it in posts, nor
>> does it seem to be addressed by the upcoming "Maven: A Definitive
>> Guide" and older "Better Builds with Maven" texts.
>>
>> Specifically, what is a 'staging repository' [vs. a 'real repository']?
>>
>> Would the plugin be used to move all artifacts from one repo to
>> another, or does it move only specific artifacts/versions?
>>
>> From content at
>> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-stage-plugin/usage.html,
>> the answer would appear to be the former ... but I don't see much
>> utility in that use case.
>>
>> What am I missing? Thanks.
>>
>> Brad

RE: Purpose and Status of 'stage' Plugin

Brad Harper
So it sounds like your 'staging' repo is for a semi-formal QA process,
like what we call User Acceptance Test [UAT] and the plugin is used to
promote the entire repository to a final/production repo.

But you promote the entire repo -- wouldn't it be better to have the
ability to promote at a finer-grained level? I.e. at the artifact level?

I'm looking to fit the maven repo deployment/release model into a scheme
where Apache continuum builds run  nightly and resulting artifacts are
deployed to a specific QA repository. Certain WAR artifacts are suitable
for testing and any arbitrary one may be deemed fit for UAT.

It would be ideal to be able to promote an artifact [without having to
rebuild it] and to redeploy it to a segregated repository. If approved
in UAT, it could be promoted to production status [again without having
to rebuild it]. QA and production folks would know that the artifact is
*exactly* what had been built and qualified originally.

Segregation is important, so we can demonstrate to auditors that a
process attempts to prevent non-qualified apps from entering a
production environment. Production staff can only pull artifacts from a
specific repo and artifacts can enter that repo only under controlled
conditions.

I was hoping that the staging plugin could help somewhat in this by
allowing us to move artifacts between repos.

Brad

there already a JIRA for that.

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 2:34 PM, Harper, Brad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So it sounds like your 'staging' repo is for a semi-formal QA process,
> like what we call User Acceptance Test [UAT] and the plugin is used to
> promote the entire repository to a final/production repo.
>
> But you promote the entire repo -- wouldn't it be better to have the
> ability to promote at a finer-grained level? I.e. at the artifact level?
>
> I'm looking to fit the maven repo deployment/release model into a scheme
> where Apache continuum builds run  nightly and resulting artifacts are
> deployed to a specific QA repository. Certain WAR artifacts are suitable
> for testing and any arbitrary one may be deemed fit for UAT.
>
> It would be ideal to be able to promote an artifact [without having to
> rebuild it] and to redeploy it to a segregated repository. If approved
> in UAT, it could be promoted to production status [again without having
> to rebuild it]. QA and production folks would know that the artifact is
> *exactly* what had been built and qualified originally.
>
> Segregation is important, so we can demonstrate to auditors that a
> process attempts to prevent non-qualified apps from entering a
> production environment. Production staff can only pull artifacts from a
> specific repo and artifacts can enter that repo only under controlled
> conditions.
>
> I was hoping that the staging plugin could help somewhat in this by
> allowing us to move artifacts between repos.
>
> Brad

mojo@codehaus also has a maven-wagon-plugin currently in the sandbox.
Give it a try and feedback

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 2:43 PM, Dan Tran <[hidden email]> wrote:

> there already a JIRA for that.
>

> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 2:34 PM, Harper, Brad <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> So it sounds like your 'staging' repo is for a semi-formal QA process,
>> like what we call User Acceptance Test [UAT] and the plugin is used to
>> promote the entire repository to a final/production repo.
>>
>> But you promote the entire repo -- wouldn't it be better to have the
>> ability to promote at a finer-grained level? I.e. at the artifact level?
>>
>> I'm looking to fit the maven repo deployment/release model into a scheme
>> where Apache continuum builds run  nightly and resulting artifacts are
>> deployed to a specific QA repository. Certain WAR artifacts are suitable
>> for testing and any arbitrary one may be deemed fit for UAT.
>>
>> It would be ideal to be able to promote an artifact [without having to
>> rebuild it] and to redeploy it to a segregated repository. If approved
>> in UAT, it could be promoted to production status [again without having
>> to rebuild it]. QA and production folks would know that the artifact is
>> *exactly* what had been built and qualified originally.
>>
>> Segregation is important, so we can demonstrate to auditors that a
>> process attempts to prevent non-qualified apps from entering a
>> production environment. Production staff can only pull artifacts from a
>> specific repo and artifacts can enter that repo only under controlled
>> conditions.
>>
>> I was hoping that the staging plugin could help somewhat in this by
>> allowing us to move artifacts between repos.
>>
>> Brad

I didn't see it on the mojo site listed under Sandbox plugins

   http://mojo.codehaus.org/plugins.html

Should it be added?

Site/docs aren't to be had, or so I'm assuming. I did find an entry in
the snapshot repo at

http://snapshots.repository.codehaus.org/org/codehaus/mojo/wagon-maven-p
lugin/

Thanks, I'll see if I can't build from source locally.

Brad

Would anyone happen to know the JIRA number for this issue?

Thanks.

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MSTAGE