Proposal to deprecate Maven 3.0.x

Tibor Digana
Some users still use Maven 3.0.5 and they require a support for
compatibility reasons between nowadays Maven plugins and the Maven
3.0.x.

We have a couple of reasons to deprecate this version (JSR-330,
Components injection, Logger) and we have discussed this issue in
https://github.com/apache/maven-surefire/pull/274

Let's discuss it.

Cheers
Tibor17

Re: Proposal to deprecate Maven 3.0.x

Manfred Moser-4
+100

I would deprecate everything before the maven-resolver import back to the project while you are at it. Not sure exact version but 3.1x would definitely on that list as well. Maybe also 3.2x

Manfred

Tibor Digana wrote on 2020-04-15 13:39 (GMT -07:00):

> Some users still use Maven 3.0.5 and they require a support for
> compatibility reasons between nowadays Maven plugins and the Maven
> 3.0.x.
>
> We have a couple of reasons to deprecate this version (JSR-330,
> Components injection, Logger) and we have discussed this issue in
> https://github.com/apache/maven-surefire/pull/274
>
> Let's discuss it.
>
> Cheers
> Tibor17

Re: Proposal to deprecate Maven 3.0.x

Enrico Olivelli
+1

Enrico

Il Gio 16 Apr 2020, 07:39 Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]> ha
scritto:

> +1
>
> Le jeu. 16 avr. 2020 à 03:31, Olivier Lamy <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> > +1
> > Good idea Manfred!
> >
> > On Thu, 16 Apr 2020 at 08:22, Manfred Moser <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > +100
> > >
> > > I would deprecate everything before the maven-resolver import back to
> the
> > > project while you are at it. Not sure exact version but 3.1x would
> > > definitely on that list as well. Maybe also 3.2x
> > >
> > > Manfred

> > --
> > Olivier Lamy
> > http://twitter.com/olamy | http://linkedin.com/in/olamy

Re: Proposal to deprecate Maven 3.0.x

yes 3.0.X line mark deprecated.

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise
On 15.04.20 22:39, Tibor Digana wrote:

> Some users still use Maven 3.0.5 and they require a support for
> compatibility reasons between nowadays Maven plugins and the Maven
> 3.0.x.
>
> We have a couple of reasons to deprecate this version (JSR-330,
> Components injection, Logger) and we have discussed this issue in
> https://github.com/apache/maven-surefire/pull/274
>
> Let's discuss it.
>
> Cheers
> Tibor17

Re: Proposal to deprecate Maven 3.0.x

Tibor Digana
The Eclipse Aether looks like a strong argument.
If any user would open an issue to provide a fix on the top of Eclipse
Aether then we say 'no' already today in 3.7.0.
So the user has to switch to 3.5.0+ which would end up for him as the
same as deprecating 3.0.x - 3.3.x.
I know that it is a big extend, i understand that but this is
currently the outcome of my analysis.

I don't know what you think about this view.

On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 8:52 AM Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 to deprecate 3.0.x
>
> TLDR; no need to deprecate Eclipse Aether, which would mean deprecating also
> 3.1.x, 3.2.x and 3.3.x
>
> details:
> "deprecate everything before the maven-resolver import" would mean deprecating
> up to 3.3.x [1]
>
> Given that maven-resolver has exactly the same API as Eclipse Aether (in
> org.eclipse.aether java package) but just a change in Maven coordinates (that
> are all filtered by Maven core class loading, then not really an issue), I'm
> not convinced this is absolutely necessary to go to that extend
>
> what is really useful is to deprecate anything that is not in
> org.eclipse.aether Java package, because it is a nightmare in terms of Java
> code compatibility: this means deprecating 3.0.x only [2], given the switch to
> Eclipse Aether has been done in 3.1.0 [3]
> And, for the record, the switch to Maven Artifact Resolver has been done in
> 3.5.0 [4]
>
> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>
> [1] https://maven.apache.org/ref/3.3.9/dependency-management.html
>
> [2] https://maven.apache.org/ref/3.0.5/dependency-management.html
>
> [3] https://maven.apache.org/ref/3.1.0/dependency-management.html
>
> [4] https://maven.apache.org/ref/3.5.0-alpha-1/dependency-management.html
>
> Le jeudi 16 avril 2020, 00:22:20 CEST Manfred Moser a écrit :
> > +100
> >
> > I would deprecate everything before the maven-resolver import back to the
> > project while you are at it. Not sure exact version but 3.1x would
> > definitely on that list as well. Maybe also 3.2x
> >
> > Manfred
> >
> > Tibor Digana wrote on 2020-04-15 13:39 (GMT -07:00):
> > > Some users still use Maven 3.0.5 and they require a support for
> > > compatibility reasons between nowadays Maven plugins and the Maven
> > > 3.0.x.
> > >
> > > We have a couple of reasons to deprecate this version (JSR-330,
> > > Components injection, Logger) and we have discussed this issue in
> > > https://github.com/apache/maven-surefire/pull/274
> > >
> > > Let's discuss it.
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > > Tibor17

Cheers
Tibor

Re: Proposal to deprecate Maven 3.0.x

Hervé BOUTEMY
we're back at defining what our community support on every Maven parts means

to me, support for Maven core releases not only means that we would release
security bugfix if security issues were found (very low probability), but more
that we do *extra efforts on plugins to be checked for compatibility*

Maven 3.0.x costs efforts for plugins compatibility, because of the old very
specific API
starting with 3.1.x, API is org.eclipse.aether.*: AFAIK, no complexity to have
plugins compatibility

that's why "deprecating Maven 3.0.x" to me is a reasonable choice (lower
community efforts with minimal users impact) that will concretely mean "produce
plugins with Maven 3.1 as minimum", cleaning old code and tests for 3.0.x
compatibility