Processing Pull Request

Michael Osipov
Hi,

does it take special permissions on Github to process pull requests?

Neither am I allowed to perform the merge from the website directly, nor
does it display the command line steps as described in the GH help.
Close is not available to me too.

I simply pulled (PL 14) into my local repo and then pushed, asfgit
processed but the PL is still on "merged" but not closed.

Is there any writeup how a PL should happen in the project?
Maven Git Convention [1] does not provide any valueable information.

Michael

[1] http://maven.apache.org/developers/conventions/git.html

Re: Processing Pull Request

Benson Margulies
You add special comments to a commit to close a PR. I only have my phone I
can't supply details.
On May 25, 2014 6:04 PM, "Michael Osipov" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> does it take special permissions on Github to process pull requests?
>
> Neither am I allowed to perform the merge from the website directly, nor
> does it display the command line steps as described in the GH help. Close
> is not available to me too.
>
> I simply pulled (PL 14) into my local repo and then pushed, asfgit
> processed but the PL is still on "merged" but not closed.
>
> Is there any writeup how a PL should happen in the project?
> Maven Git Convention [1] does not provide any valueable information.
>
> Michael
>
> [1] http://maven.apache.org/developers/conventions/git.html

Re: Processing Pull Request

Daniel  Kulp

On May 24, 2014, at 9:18 AM, Michael Osipov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> does it take special permissions on Github to process pull requests?
>
> Neither am I allowed to perform the merge from the website directly, nor does it display the command line steps as described in the GH help. Close is not available to me too.
>
> I simply pulled (PL 14) into my local repo and then pushed, asfgit processed but the PL is still on "merged" but not closed.
>
> Is there any writeup how a PL should happen in the project?
> Maven Git Convention [1] does not provide any valueable information.

If it doesn’t auto close for whatever reason (likely a rebase or something), then you would need to put a comment on the pull request like:

Can you verify that the functionality ha been merged correctly and close this if it has.

or similar to get the requestor to close it.

OR

Make a simple commit with:
This closes #14

in the log message and the asf bot will close it.

OR

File a request with INFRA to close it.

In general, if you pull a pull request and it ends up rebating or similar so the sha1 is different, then you should likely do a “git -a —amend” and edit the commit message to to add the “This closes #XX” line to the message before you push.

--
Daniel Kulp

Re: Processing Pull Request

michaelo
Am 2014-05-26 14:54, schrieb Daniel Kulp:

> On May 24, 2014, at 9:18 AM, Michael Osipov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> does it take special permissions on Github to process pull
>> requests?
>>
>> Neither am I allowed to perform the merge from the website
>> directly, nor does it display the command line steps as described
>> in the GH help. Close is not available to me too.
>>
>> I simply pulled (PL 14) into my local repo and then pushed, asfgit
>> processed but the PL is still on "merged" but not closed.
>>
>> Is there any writeup how a PL should happen in the project? Maven
>> Git Convention [1] does not provide any valueable information.
>

> If it doesn’t auto close for whatever reason (likely a rebase or
> something), then you would need to put a comment on the pull request
> like:
>
> Can you verify that the functionality ha been merged correctly and
> close this if it has.
>
> or similar to get the requestor to close it.
>
> OR
>
> Make a simple commit with: This closes #14
>
> in the log message and the asf bot will close it.
>
> OR
>
> File a request with INFRA to close it.
>
> In general, if you pull a pull request and it ends up rebating or
> similar so the sha1 is different, then you should likely do a “git -a
> —amend” and edit the commit message to to add the “This closes #XX”
> line to the message before you push.

Hi Daniel,

I have amended the last commit, see
https://github.com/apache/maven/pull/14#ref-commit-0499d1d.

But I have simply merged that PR manually and then pushed to
git.apache.org. Thus, I cannot have an additional commit w/o doing bogus.

There must be some better way to process PRs.

The best solution is to produce a commit like this [1] but I do not have
the knowledge how to perform this with git means. That's is why I have
for an improvements of the docs.

Michael

[1]
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven.git;a=commit;h=bef7fac6e3495dae57a44e6a5902afd89c74b196