Preparing for M2Eclipse 1.0 & no support for the maven-eclipse-plugin

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
20 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Preparing for M2Eclipse 1.0 & no support for the maven-eclipse-plugin

Jason van Zyl-2
Hi,

This is upfront warning for those who use the maven-eclipse-plugin with M2Eclipse in that in M2Eclipse if we detect files generated with the maven-eclipse-plugin we will not import those projects with M2Eclipse. Going forward with M2Eclipse 1.0, you either use M2Eclipse or you use the maven-eclipse-plugin. We have far to many support issues, and no one in M2Eclipse works on the maven-eclipse-plugin and therefore we cannot guarantee any level of interoperability. Our theme for 1.0 is that we will completely and fully support what we release as M2Eclipse 1.0 which will be a well defined set of features we test, have ITs for, have UI tests for, that run on our grid, and features where we have a clear idea of how they interact with 3rd party systems.

So again, if you use the maven-eclipse-plugin, like "mvn eclipse:m2eclipse" do not expect this to work when M2Eclipse 1.0 is released.

Thanks,

Jason

----------------------------------------------------------
Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
----------------------------------------------------------

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Preparing for M2Eclipse 1.0 & no support for the maven-eclipse-plugin

Kathryn Huxtable
How will you do this detection? -K

On Feb 21, 2010, at 8:48 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

Hi,

This is upfront warning for those who use the maven-eclipse-plugin with M2Eclipse in that in M2Eclipse if we detect files generated with the maven-eclipse-plugin we will not import those projects with M2Eclipse. Going forward with M2Eclipse 1.0, you either use M2Eclipse or you use the maven-eclipse-plugin. We have far to many support issues, and no one in M2Eclipse works on the maven-eclipse-plugin and therefore we cannot guarantee any level of interoperability. Our theme for 1.0 is that we will completely and fully support what we release as M2Eclipse 1.0 which will be a well defined set of features we test, have ITs for, have UI tests for, that run on our grid, and features where we have a clear idea of how they interact with 3rd party systems.

So again, if you use the maven-eclipse-plugin, like "mvn eclipse:m2eclipse" do not expect this to work when M2Eclipse 1.0 is released.

Thanks,

Jason

----------------------------------------------------------
Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
----------------------------------------------------------


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Preparing for M2Eclipse 1.0 & no support for the maven-eclipse-plugin

Jason van Zyl-2
I've changed the maven-eclipse-plugin so we can easily tell.

On Feb 21, 2010, at 10:30 AM, Kathryn Huxtable wrote:

How will you do this detection? -K

On Feb 21, 2010, at 8:48 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

Hi,

This is upfront warning for those who use the maven-eclipse-plugin with M2Eclipse in that in M2Eclipse if we detect files generated with the maven-eclipse-plugin we will not import those projects with M2Eclipse. Going forward with M2Eclipse 1.0, you either use M2Eclipse or you use the maven-eclipse-plugin. We have far to many support issues, and no one in M2Eclipse works on the maven-eclipse-plugin and therefore we cannot guarantee any level of interoperability. Our theme for 1.0 is that we will completely and fully support what we release as M2Eclipse 1.0 which will be a well defined set of features we test, have ITs for, have UI tests for, that run on our grid, and features where we have a clear idea of how they interact with 3rd party systems.

So again, if you use the maven-eclipse-plugin, like "mvn eclipse:m2eclipse" do not expect this to work when M2Eclipse 1.0 is released.

Thanks,

Jason

----------------------------------------------------------
Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
----------------------------------------------------------



Thanks,

Jason

----------------------------------------------------------
Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
----------------------------------------------------------

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Preparing for M2Eclipse 1.0 & no support for the maven-eclipse-plugin

Christoph Kutzinski
In reply to this post by Jason van Zyl-2
Will m2eclipse then support custom builders - like FindBugs or Checkstyle?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Preparing for M2Eclipse 1.0 & no support for the maven-eclipse-plugin

Jason van Zyl-2
It already does through the configurator mechanism. I believe someone has already written configurators for those.

But we won't support people altering the project files outside the API. You just get non-deterministic behavior, because when M2Eclipse updates the project configuration the only source of information we have is the POM. We honestly don't want to get into the business of trying to figure out what came from the POM and what someone hand bombed into the project files.

For Maven projects we support the model where the POM is the source of configuration when importing/updating projects.

Configurators are easy to write:


On Feb 21, 2010, at 1:16 PM, Christoph Kutzinski wrote:


Will m2eclipse then support custom builders - like FindBugs or Checkstyle?

--
View this message in context: http://old.nabble.com/Preparing-for-M2Eclipse-1.0---no-support-for-the-maven-eclipse-plugin-tp27676229p27676872.html
Sent from the Maven Eclipse - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

   http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email



Thanks,

Jason

----------------------------------------------------------
Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
----------------------------------------------------------

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Preparing for M2Eclipse 1.0 & no support for the maven-eclipse-plugin

Jason van Zyl-2
In reply to this post by Christoph Kutzinski
I'll make something in the wiki for the custom builders people are most interested in and we'll see if we can running examples quickly if they don't exist. These are relatively simple. I know there is one for checkstyle kicking around.

On Feb 21, 2010, at 1:16 PM, Christoph Kutzinski wrote:


Will m2eclipse then support custom builders - like FindBugs or Checkstyle?

--
View this message in context: http://old.nabble.com/Preparing-for-M2Eclipse-1.0---no-support-for-the-maven-eclipse-plugin-tp27676229p27676872.html
Sent from the Maven Eclipse - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

   http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email



Thanks,

Jason

----------------------------------------------------------
Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
----------------------------------------------------------

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Preparing for M2Eclipse 1.0 & no support for the maven-eclipse-plugin

Christoph Kutzinski
In reply to this post by Jason van Zyl-2
I'm not sure that I've completely understood the answer, so let me paraphrase my question:
Currently I can add something like
    <plugin>
                    <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
                    <artifactId>maven-eclipse-plugin</artifactId>
                    <configuration>
                        <additionalBuildcommands>
                            <buildcommand>com.atlassw.tools.eclipse.checkstyle.CheckstyleBuilder</buildcommand>
                            <buildcommand>edu.umd.cs.findbugs.plugin.eclipse.findbugsBuilder</buildcommand>
                        </additionalBuildcommands>
                        <additionalProjectnatures>
                            <projectnature>com.atlassw.tools.eclipse.checkstyle.CheckstyleNature</projectnature>
                            <projectnature>edu.umd.cs.findbugs.plugin.eclipse.findbugsNature</projectnature>
                        </additionalProjectnatures>
...

to my POM then use mvn eclipse:m2eclipse, import the projects in Eclipse and then Checkstyle and Findbugs is preconfigured in Eclipse.
Will this - or something similar - be possible with M2Eclipse 1.0?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Preparing for M2Eclipse 1.0 & no support for the maven-eclipse-plugin

Mohan KR
Hello Christoph,
  I will publish the configurators for checkstyle, pmd (and findbugs) here:
   
  http://code.google.com/p/m2e-extensions/

  Probably won't happen till this weekend (google project hosting for SVN is
really slow,
  wonder if there are any better ones out there).

  Cheers
  Mohan

-----Original Message-----
From: Christoph Kutzinski [mailto:[hidden email]]
Sent: Monday, February 22, 2010 12:02 PM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [m2eclipse-user] Preparing for M2Eclipse 1.0 & no support for
the maven-eclipse-plugin


I'm not sure that I've completely understood the answer, so let me
paraphrase
my question:
Currently I can add something like
    <plugin>
                    <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
                    <artifactId>maven-eclipse-plugin</artifactId>
                    <configuration>
                        <additionalBuildcommands>
                           
<buildcommand>com.atlassw.tools.eclipse.checkstyle.CheckstyleBuilder</buildc
ommand>
                           
<buildcommand>edu.umd.cs.findbugs.plugin.eclipse.findbugsBuilder</buildcomma
nd>
                        </additionalBuildcommands>
                        <additionalProjectnatures>
                           
<projectnature>com.atlassw.tools.eclipse.checkstyle.CheckstyleNature</projec
tnature>
                           
<projectnature>edu.umd.cs.findbugs.plugin.eclipse.findbugsNature</projectnat
ure>
                        </additionalProjectnatures>
...

to my POM then use mvn eclipse:m2eclipse, import the projects in Eclipse and
then Checkstyle and Findbugs is preconfigured in Eclipse.
Will this - or something similar - be possible with M2Eclipse 1.0?


--
View this message in context:
http://old.nabble.com/Preparing-for-M2Eclipse-1.0---no-support-for-the-maven
-eclipse-plugin-tp27676229p27691558.html
Sent from the Maven Eclipse - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email



---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Preparing for M2Eclipse 1.0 & no support for the maven-eclipse-plugin

Jason van Zyl-2
In reply to this post by Christoph Kutzinski
You will not be able to use "mvn eclipse:m2eclipse" as the maven-eclipse-plugin and the files it generates will not be supported. 

This is where we encourage writing configurators to add the natures and builders you want based on what it available in the POM.

Right now, we preserve external natures and builders but we would like to move towards using configurators.

On Feb 22, 2010, at 1:01 PM, Christoph Kutzinski wrote:


I'm not sure that I've completely understood the answer, so let me paraphrase
my question:
Currently I can add something like
   <plugin>
                   <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
                   <artifactId>maven-eclipse-plugin</artifactId>
                   <configuration>
                       <additionalBuildcommands>

<buildcommand>com.atlassw.tools.eclipse.checkstyle.CheckstyleBuilder</buildcommand>

<buildcommand>edu.umd.cs.findbugs.plugin.eclipse.findbugsBuilder</buildcommand>
                       </additionalBuildcommands>
                       <additionalProjectnatures>

<projectnature>com.atlassw.tools.eclipse.checkstyle.CheckstyleNature</projectnature>

<projectnature>edu.umd.cs.findbugs.plugin.eclipse.findbugsNature</projectnature>
                       </additionalProjectnatures>
...

to my POM then use mvn eclipse:m2eclipse, import the projects in Eclipse and
then Checkstyle and Findbugs is preconfigured in Eclipse.
Will this - or something similar - be possible with M2Eclipse 1.0?


--
View this message in context: http://old.nabble.com/Preparing-for-M2Eclipse-1.0---no-support-for-the-maven-eclipse-plugin-tp27676229p27691558.html
Sent from the Maven Eclipse - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

   http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email



Thanks,

Jason

----------------------------------------------------------
Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
----------------------------------------------------------

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Preparing for M2Eclipse 1.0 & no support for the maven-eclipse-plugin

Jason van Zyl-2
In reply to this post by Mohan KR
We will eventually build out configurators for standard Maven plugins.

If you want contribute yours then we're happy to house them. We just want to make sure what we distribute works well.

On Feb 22, 2010, at 2:15 PM, Mohan KR wrote:

Hello Christoph,
 I will publish the configurators for checkstyle, pmd (and findbugs) here:

 http://code.google.com/p/m2e-extensions/

 Probably won't happen till this weekend (google project hosting for SVN is
really slow,
 wonder if there are any better ones out there).

 Cheers
 Mohan

-----Original Message-----
From: Christoph Kutzinski [mailto:[hidden email]]
Sent: Monday, February 22, 2010 12:02 PM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [m2eclipse-user] Preparing for M2Eclipse 1.0 & no support for
the maven-eclipse-plugin


I'm not sure that I've completely understood the answer, so let me
paraphrase
my question:
Currently I can add something like
   <plugin>
                   <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
                   <artifactId>maven-eclipse-plugin</artifactId>
                   <configuration>
                       <additionalBuildcommands>

<buildcommand>com.atlassw.tools.eclipse.checkstyle.CheckstyleBuilder</buildc
ommand>

<buildcommand>edu.umd.cs.findbugs.plugin.eclipse.findbugsBuilder</buildcomma
nd>
                       </additionalBuildcommands>
                       <additionalProjectnatures>

<projectnature>com.atlassw.tools.eclipse.checkstyle.CheckstyleNature</projec
tnature>

<projectnature>edu.umd.cs.findbugs.plugin.eclipse.findbugsNature</projectnat
ure>
                       </additionalProjectnatures>
...

to my POM then use mvn eclipse:m2eclipse, import the projects in Eclipse and
then Checkstyle and Findbugs is preconfigured in Eclipse.
Will this - or something similar - be possible with M2Eclipse 1.0?


--
View this message in context:
http://old.nabble.com/Preparing-for-M2Eclipse-1.0---no-support-for-the-maven
-eclipse-plugin-tp27676229p27691558.html
Sent from the Maven Eclipse - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

   http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email



---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

   http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email



Thanks,

Jason

----------------------------------------------------------
Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
----------------------------------------------------------

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Preparing for M2Eclipse 1.0 & no support for the maven-eclipse-plugin

lukewpatterson
In reply to this post by Jason van Zyl-2
jvanzyl wrote
in M2Eclipse if we detect files generated with the maven-eclipse-plugin we will not import those projects with M2Eclipse.
What about the other aspects of M2Eclipse, besides "importing" and "managing".  Specifically, things like "run as Maven build" options?  For now, I can only use the "command launching" and "POM editor" aspects of M2Eclipse.  I can't fully migrate yet.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Preparing for M2Eclipse 1.0 & no support for the maven-eclipse-plugin

lukewpatterson
In reply to this post by Jason van Zyl-2
> jvanzyl wrote:
>>>
>>> in M2Eclipse if we detect files generated with the maven-eclipse-plugin we
>>> will not import those projects with M2Eclipse.
>
> What about the other aspects of M2Eclipse, besides "importing" and
> "managing".  Specifically, things like "run as Maven build" options?  
>
> I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Sorry, should have been more specific, I'm asking about:

"4.2. Running Maven Builds" http://www.sonatype.com/books/m2eclipse-book/reference/running-sect-running-maven-builds.html

and

"8.2. Using the Form-based POM Editor" http://www.sonatype.com/books/m2eclipse-book/reference/eclipse-sect-pom-form.html


Will M2Eclipse run its "maven-eclipse-plugin" detection/prevention algorithm when I try to use those features?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Preparing for M2Eclipse 1.0 & no support for the maven-eclipse-plugin

lukewpatterson
In reply to this post by lukewpatterson
On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 11:20 AM, Jason van Zyl <jason@sonatype.com> wrote:
> If the maven-eclipse-plugin is configured in your POM ... we will not operate on the project.

Thanks, that's good to know.  I'll have to find a way to still use M2Eclipse, cause I really like it, it will be hard to do if the detection algorithm is checking the POM instead of just the ide-specific artifacts.  Most of the rest of the company I'm at is using maven-eclipse-plugin, and often the configuration is baked into parent poms.

Currently, I use M2Eclipse when I can, when I check out projects I just don't run the eclipse:eclipse goal.  

Too bad there can't be less of a big-bang migration, but I definitely understand why it's the least painful way to go.

I still need to find a way to mimic the "pde" flag functionality in M2Eclipse.
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-eclipse-plugin/eclipse-mojo.html#pde
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Preparing for M2Eclipse 1.0 & no support for the maven-eclipse-plugin

lukewpatterson
In reply to this post by Jason van Zyl-2
Sorry if this is a repost for some, Nabble is only posting one-side of this conversation, and I wanted to make sure this was documented in case others find it useful.
(I'm suscribed to the list, I can see my replies to jvz on Nabble, but I don't see his replies to me, maybe Nabble is just messed up in general at the moment, e.g. something else weird is that when I click on the "Maven User List" Nabble link in http://maven.apache.org/mail-lists.html, it takes me to http://www.nabble.com/Chassis-Progress-td178.html#a178)


> jvanzyl wrote:
> in M2Eclipse if we detect files generated with the maven-eclipse-plugin
> we will not import those projects with M2Eclipse.


> lukewpatterson wrote:
> What about the other aspects of M2Eclipse, besides "importing" and
> "managing".  Specifically, things like "run as Maven build" options?


> jvanzyl wrote:
> I'm not sure what you're talking about.


> lukepatterson wrote:
> Sorry, should have been more specific, I'm asking about:
>
> "4.2. Running Maven Builds"
> http://www.sonatype.com/books/m2eclipse-book/reference/running-sect-running-maven-builds.html
>
> and
>
> "8.2. Using the Form-based POM Editor"
> http://www.sonatype.com/books/m2eclipse-book/reference/eclipse-sect-pom-form.html
>
> Will M2Eclipse run its "maven-eclipse-plugin" detection/prevention algorithm
> when I try to use those features?


> jvanzyl wrote:
> If the maven-eclipse-plugin is configured in your POM ... we will not
> operate on the project.


> lukewpatterson wrote:
> Thanks, that's good to know.  I'll have to find a way to still use
> M2Eclipse, cause I really like it, it will be hard to do if the detection
> algorithm is checking the POM instead of just the ide-specific artifacts.
> Most of the rest of the company I'm at is using maven-eclipse-plugin, and
> often the configuration is baked into parent poms.


> jvanzyl wrote:
> Yah, I consider that an Maven/Eclipse anti-pattern for sure.


> lukepatterson wrote:
> Currently, I use M2Eclipse when I can, when I check out projects I just
> don't run the eclipse:eclipse goal.  
>
> Too bad there can't be less of a big-bang migration, but I definitely
> understand why it's the least painful way to go.


> jvanzyl wrote:
> There's generally no reason to use the maven-eclipse-plugin. This
> is why were turning off support so that people are forced to tell us
> what's missing and we'll fix it.


> lukewpatterson wrote:
> I still need to find a way to mimic the "pde" flag functionality in
> M2Eclipse.
> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-eclipse-plugin/eclipse-mojo.html#pde


> jvanzyl wrote:
> Don't use that it's unsupported as stated by the author. Use Tycho, it already has full M2Eclipse and configuration support.
> http://tycho.sonatype.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Preparing for M2Eclipse 1.0 & no support for the maven-eclipse-plugin

Christoph Kutzinski
In reply to this post by lukewpatterson

lukewpatterson wrote
On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 11:20 AM, Jason van Zyl <jason@sonatype.com> wrote:
> If the maven-eclipse-plugin is configured in your POM ... we will not operate on the project.
So, only if I've have maven-eclipse-plugin configured in my POM - which doesn't mean that I've actually used mvn eclipse:eclipse - my project won't work with m2eclipse?
Sorry, but I don't think that this is a good way. I takes away a lot of choices. Some developers like to work with m2eclipse, some don't. When you do it as described, you take them the choice to work one way or another.

In my current project we have a quite big and complex Maven project which doesn't (didn't?) work well with m2eclipse, but worked quite okay with mvn eclipse:eclipse. So currently we have some developers - like me - which jump through some hoops to get it working with m2eclipse while most of the developers work with mvn eclipse:eclipse. If you do it as described, we would have to choose one way (which currently would be mvn eclipse:eclipse) and it would be much harder for the 'prototypers' to check if m2eclipse is ready to be used by everyone in the project.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Preparing for M2Eclipse 1.0 & no support for the maven-eclipse-plugin

lukewpatterson
Christoph Kutzinski wrote
In my current project we have a quite big and complex Maven project which doesn't (didn't?) work well with m2eclipse, but worked quite okay with mvn eclipse:eclipse. So currently we have some developers - like me - which jump through some hoops to get it working with m2eclipse while most of the developers work with mvn eclipse:eclipse. If you do it as described, we would have to choose one way (which currently would be mvn eclipse:eclipse) and it would be much harder for the 'prototypers' to check if m2eclipse is ready to be used by everyone in the project.
I guess I'm also one of the 'prototypers' you describe.  I wouldn't be able to convince the team to remove eclipse:eclipse configuration (we just have configuration, not lifecycle binding) until I've demonstrated I can use m2eclipse day-to-day and I wouldn't be able to demonstrate I can use m2eclipse day-to-day until eclipse:eclipse was removed.

Any discussion about removing eclipse:eclipse configuration would go something like this:

me: "let's remove all eclipse:eclipse configuration we'll all use m2eclipse, it's the way to go"
them: "does it work now? last time we tried it crippled our workspace and brought a lot of instability, brought everything a grinding halt while it did indexing and such in the background, we don't trust it"
me: "it's come a long way, and with m3 it will get even better"
them: "well, maybe we can give it another shot, it is at 1.0 now isn't it?"
me: "yeah, it was just released"
them: "ok, try it out for a few weeks and let us know if everything is going to work, then we'll consider switching everything over"
me: "well, you see, um... "

... and you see where I lose that argument
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Preparing for M2Eclipse 1.0 & no support for the maven-eclipse-plugin

Jason van Zyl-2
In reply to this post by Christoph Kutzinski

On Mar 2, 2010, at 5:36 PM, Christoph Kutzinski wrote:




lukewpatterson wrote:

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 11:20 AM, Jason van Zyl <[hidden email]>
wrote:
If the maven-eclipse-plugin is configured in your POM ... we will not
operate on the project.



So, only if I've have maven-eclipse-plugin configured in my POM - which
doesn't mean that I've actually used mvn eclipse:eclipse - my project won't
work with m2eclipse?

That is correct. 

Sorry, but I don't think that this is a good way.

Of course you don't because it affects you. But it also affects us.

I takes away a lot of
choices. Some developers like to work with m2eclipse, some don't.

I think we can compromise here and that if the maven-eclipse-plugin is in a profile we'll leave it alone because it won't affect M2Eclipse. The maven-eclipse-plugin configured with the default lifecycle causes performance problems in M2Eclipse when we shouldn't be affected by it at all. So I can alter the code to accept the project if it's not going to affect the project in the workspace.

When you
do it as described, you take them the choice to work one way or another.


Exactly. If you use the maven-eclipse-plugin they can support you. If you use M2Eclipse to import your projects then we are happy to support you. We cannot support both ways, it's just too costly for us. If within your organization you want to support both, then that burden is yours. We don't have anything to do with the maven-eclipse-plugin and so anything they might do is generally not in consultation with us and we don't want to be subject to their side effects. We also want expectations to be set correctly. By doing this we're telling you what we are committed to supporting.

In my current project we have a quite big and complex Maven project which
doesn't (didn't?) work well with m2eclipse, but worked quite okay with mvn
eclipse:eclipse. So currently we have some developers - like me - which jump
through some hoops to get it working with m2eclipse while most of the
developers work with mvn eclipse:eclipse. If you do it as described, we
would have to choose one way (which currently would be mvn eclipse:eclipse)
and it would be much harder for the 'prototypers' to check if m2eclipse is
ready to be used by everyone in the project.

That's fine. You have to get your work done and so do we. We are working hard to fix problems in M2Eclipse and if you don't want report bugs and help us work through that then I understand. That's a perfectly reasonable approach.

--
View this message in context: http://old.nabble.com/Preparing-for-M2Eclipse-1.0---no-support-for-the-maven-eclipse-plugin-tp27676229p27762128.html
Sent from the Maven Eclipse - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

   http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email



Thanks,

Jason

----------------------------------------------------------
Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
----------------------------------------------------------

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Preparing for M2Eclipse 1.0 & no support for the maven-eclipse-plugin

lukewpatterson
jvanzyl wrote
I think we can compromise here and that if the maven-eclipse-plugin is in a profile we'll leave it alone because it won't affect M2Eclipse.
That's really good news for people who, like me, really want to use M2Eclipse, but are working in an environment where a 1.x migration path is needed.

This new solution will allow maven-eclipse-plugin users to still "get by" while us M2Eclipse users entice with graphical dependency trees, rich pom editors, index lookups, and other goodness.  The requirement of adding a profile argument when running eclipse:eclipse is a helpful (and just painful enough) reminder that they should switch to M2Eclipse.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Preparing for M2Eclipse 1.0 & no support for the maven-eclipse-plugin

Jason van Zyl-2

On Mar 3, 2010, at 7:22 PM, lukewpatterson wrote:



jvanzyl wrote:

I think we can compromise here and that if the maven-eclipse-plugin is in
a profile we'll leave it alone because it won't affect M2Eclipse.


That's really good news for people who, like me, really want to use
M2Eclipse, but are working in an environment where a 1.x migration path is
needed.

This new solution will allow maven-eclipse-plugin users to still "get by"
while us M2Eclipse users entice with graphical dependency trees, rich pom
editors, index lookups, and other goodness.  The requirement of adding a
profile argument when running eclipse:eclipse is a helpful (and just painful
enough) reminder that they should switch to M2Eclipse.

We're not trying to screw anyone. We really just want to provide the best support of what is in our control and for what we know we can improve. Everyone email answered in response to a question which is a result of poor interactions with the maven-eclipse-plugin is not time well spent. We're going to make it all work, it's just not going to happen tomorrow.

--
View this message in context: http://old.nabble.com/Preparing-for-M2Eclipse-1.0---no-support-for-the-maven-eclipse-plugin-tp27676229p27773861.html
Sent from the Maven Eclipse - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

   http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email



Thanks,

Jason

----------------------------------------------------------
Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
----------------------------------------------------------

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Preparing for M2Eclipse 1.0 & no support for the maven-eclipse-plugin

Christoph Kutzinski
In reply to this post by Jason van Zyl-2
jvanzyl wrote
> I takes away a lot of
> choices. Some developers like to work with m2eclipse, some don't.

I think we can compromise here and that if the maven-eclipse-plugin is in a profile we'll leave it alone because it won't affect M2Eclipse. The maven-eclipse-plugin configured with the default lifecycle causes performance problems in M2Eclipse when we shouldn't be affected by it at all. So I can alter the code to accept the project if it's not going to affect the project in the workspace.
That sounds like a good compromise - actually we don't have maven-eclipse-plugin in the default lifecycle so it would work for us out-of-the-box. Thanks a lot!


jvanzyl wrote
> In my current project we have a quite big and complex Maven project which
> doesn't (didn't?) work well with m2eclipse, but worked quite okay with mvn
> eclipse:eclipse. So currently we have some developers - like me - which jump
> through some hoops to get it working with m2eclipse while most of the
> developers work with mvn eclipse:eclipse. If you do it as described, we
> would have to choose one way (which currently would be mvn eclipse:eclipse)
> and it would be much harder for the 'prototypers' to check if m2eclipse is
> ready to be used by everyone in the project.

That's fine. You have to get your work done and so do we. We are working hard to fix problems in M2Eclipse and if you don't want report bugs and help us work through that then I understand. That's a perfectly reasonable approach.
I really try to report bugs when I see them, but there's only so much time in the day and I've tasks for what I'm paid for and reporting bugs to OSS projects is unfortunately not one of them.
Also, I often barely get it working with m2eclipse, sometimes not knowing exactly what I had to do to get it that way, so it's very difficult to descibe exactly - let alone creating small testcases to reproduce - issues in m2eclipse.


Christoph