Plexus-Utils 3.1.0 Release

based on the current issue related to reading pom files etc.
(ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException)

I would like to make a new release of Plexus-Utils 3.1.0.....after that
people can simple replace the old version of plexus-utils-3.0.24 in
their maven installation with the new one until we made a new release of
Maven Core ....

If there are no objections I would like to start with the release at
Tuesday ?

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

Re: Plexus-Utils 3.1.0 Release

rfscholte
I'm not 100% sure if this will fix the issue.

There are 2 issues which both result in an ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException.

One has to do with a process instruction inside the plugin configuration
(fixed).
The other has to do with invalid XML.

It looks to me that most of the time the second issue is being hit.
Clearing the local repository and re-downloading the pom file is the cure.
(this is actually the best way to identify which of the 2 is being hit)

What I've seen is that sometime the content of the pom is duplicated, i.e.
<project>
</project>
<project>
</project>

I could imagine that this happens when a 2 threads download the same pom
at the same time and for some reason are appended.

Up until Maven 3.3.9 the XML stopped at the closing root-tag, not at the
document-end.

When the pom is not a valid XML, then IMHO the pom should be re-downloaded.

There are now a couple of issues:
- you cannot see which pom is causing the ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException
- you cannot simply switch to strict checksums at system level. You cannot
use MAVEN_OPTS in this case because --strict-checksum is a Maven argument,
not a JVM argument.

These issues need to be fixed in Maven.

So I would go for improving this in Maven, just updating plexus-utils will
give users false hope.

thanks,
Robert

On Sun, 02 Jul 2017 10:52:06 +0200, Karl Heinz Marbaise