Plan for releasing Maven core

stephenconnolly
Robert and I discussed on IRC...

Our plan is as follows:

1. Fix https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MRESOLVER-38
2. Check status on git-wip to gitbox migration, if maven-resolver will be
migrated during the vote, we will hold off releasing until after the
migration (so that the release artifacts point to the gitbox location)
3. Release maven resolver
4. Upgrade Maven core
5. Check status on git-wip to gitbox migration for maven-core and
maven-integration tests
6. Release.

I will be release manager for maven core, Robert will be release manager
for resolver.

Share and enjoy

-Stephen

Re: Plan for releasing Maven core

Manfred Moser-4
Awesome. On the resolver release can we make sure we release the ant task as well (maybe even the current version first since that has never been released yet..)

Manfred

Stephen Connolly wrote on 2018-01-27 09:52:

> Robert and I discussed on IRC...
>
> Our plan is as follows:
>
> 1. Fix https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MRESOLVER-38
> 2. Check status on git-wip to gitbox migration, if maven-resolver will be
> migrated during the vote, we will hold off releasing until after the
> migration (so that the release artifacts point to the gitbox location)
> 3. Release maven resolver
> 4. Upgrade Maven core
> 5. Check status on git-wip to gitbox migration for maven-core and
> maven-integration tests
> 6. Release.
>
> I will be release manager for maven core, Robert will be release manager
> for resolver.
>
> Share and enjoy
>
> -Stephen

Re: Plan for releasing Maven core

Manfred Moser-4
Sounds good.

Robert Scholte wrote on 2018-01-27 11:51:

> Sure, I can release a 1.1.1 for the ant-tasks as well.
>
> MRESOLVER-38 is a critical/blocking issue, you probably don't want to use
> it, so my suggestions is to forget the 1.1.0 ant-tasks
>
> thanks,
> Robert
>
> On Sat, 27 Jan 2018 19:56:49 +0100, Manfred Moser
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Awesome. On the resolver release can we make sure we release the ant
>> task as well (maybe even the current version first since that has never
>> been released yet..)
>>
>> Manfred
>>
>> Stephen Connolly wrote on 2018-01-27 09:52:
>>
>>> Robert and I discussed on IRC...
>>>
>>> Our plan is as follows:
>>>
>>> 1. Fix https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MRESOLVER-38
>>> 2. Check status on git-wip to gitbox migration, if maven-resolver will
>>> be
>>> migrated during the vote, we will hold off releasing until after the
>>> migration (so that the release artifacts point to the gitbox location)
>>> 3. Release maven resolver
>>> 4. Upgrade Maven core
>>> 5. Check status on git-wip to gitbox migration for maven-core and
>>> maven-integration tests
>>> 6. Release.
>>>
>>> I will be release manager for maven core, Robert will be release manager
>>> for resolver.
>>>
>>> Share and enjoy
>>>
>>> -Stephen

Re: Plan for releasing Maven core

there are 2 additional plugins updates available:
[INFO]   maven-checkstyle-plugin ............................. 2.17 -> 3.0.0
[INFO]   maven-pmd-plugin ....................................... 3.7 -> 3.8

do we upgrade or not? and is this only changing the version, or does it
require more config (IIRC, m-checkstyle-p has some big changes in 3.0.0)

This is the last question before Maven Parent 31 release

Le dimanche 28 janvier 2018, 10:46:06 CET Hervé BOUTEMY a écrit :

> one little additional opportunity:
> I'll launch maven-parent POM 31 soon, so perhaps update parents before
> releases. If not, please tell me and I'll upgrade Fuido skin to version 1.7
> with the edit button
>
> BTW, if anybody wants to see something in Maven parent POM 31, it's time to
> do it
>
> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>
> Le samedi 27 janvier 2018, 18:52:17 CET Stephen Connolly a écrit :
> > Robert and I discussed on IRC...
> >
> > Our plan is as follows:
> >
> > 1. Fix https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MRESOLVER-38
> > 2. Check status on git-wip to gitbox migration, if maven-resolver will be
> > migrated during the vote, we will hold off releasing until after the
> > migration (so that the release artifacts point to the gitbox location)
> > 3. Release maven resolver
> > 4. Upgrade Maven core
> > 5. Check status on git-wip to gitbox migration for maven-core and
> > maven-integration tests
> > 6. Release.
> >
> > I will be release manager for maven core, Robert will be release manager
> > for resolver.
> >
> > Share and enjoy
> >
> > -Stephen

Re: Plan for releasing Maven core

Sylwester Lachiewicz
Hi Heve,

for checkstyle plugin you must apply also configuration change - this was
described in release note for the plugin.
I’ve tested this change for maven build and works good.

Sylwester

On Wed, 31 Jan 2018 at 08:06, Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]> wrote:

> thank you Andreas: this was exactly the type of feedback I needed
>
> upgrade done: now need to have a look at maven-checkstyle-plugin
>
> I also added Twitter and Facebook buttons to the G+ as test: you can see
> the
> result on the LATEST page [1]
> feedback welcome: keep or remove some from parent POM?
>
> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>
> [1] http://maven.apache.org/pom-archives/maven-LATEST/
>
> Le mardi 30 janvier 2018, 09:16:55 CET Andreas Dangel a écrit :
> > Since yesterday, m-pmd-p 3.9.0 is available - however, this includes a
> > major upgrade of PMD to 6.0.1. While all custom rulesets keep working,
> > the users will see a couple of deprecation warnings (the rules have been
> > reorganized).
> >
> > I'd recommend to upgrade m-pmd-p from 3.7 -> 3.8 only.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Andreas
> >
> > Am 30.01.2018 um 07:29 schrieb Hervé BOUTEMY:
> > > there are 2 additional plugins updates available:
> > > [INFO]   maven-checkstyle-plugin ............................. 2.17 ->
> > > 3.0.0 [INFO]   maven-pmd-plugin .......................................
> > > 3.7 -> 3.8
> > >
> > > do we upgrade or not? and is this only changing the version, or does it
> > > require more config (IIRC, m-checkstyle-p has some big changes in
> 3.0.0)
> > >
> > > This is the last question before Maven Parent 31 release
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Hervé

> version

> time

> will
> location)

> manager

Re: Plan for releasing Maven core

stephenconnolly
I like the twitter one, it's not too obtrusive. The facebook one looks
"meh" and the G+ is similar, i.e. I do not know what the call to action is
(what am I liking)... but "Follow @ASFMavenProject" is clear (once you see
it)

Perhaps that is an expected thing for the facebook and G+ networks and
explains why I do not engage strongly with them. I know what I am doing
when I "Follow @ASFMavenProject"... but are the Facebook and G+ buttons
liking some group on those networks or publishing a link to this page?

On 31 January 2018 at 06:06, Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]> wrote:

> thank you Andreas: this was exactly the type of feedback I needed
>
> upgrade done: now need to have a look at maven-checkstyle-plugin
>
> I also added Twitter and Facebook buttons to the G+ as test: you can see
> the
> result on the LATEST page [1]
> feedback welcome: keep or remove some from parent POM?
>
> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>
> [1] http://maven.apache.org/pom-archives/maven-LATEST/
>
> Le mardi 30 janvier 2018, 09:16:55 CET Andreas Dangel a écrit :
> > Since yesterday, m-pmd-p 3.9.0 is available - however, this includes a
> > major upgrade of PMD to 6.0.1. While all custom rulesets keep working,
> > the users will see a couple of deprecation warnings (the rules have been
> > reorganized).
> >
> > I'd recommend to upgrade m-pmd-p from 3.7 -> 3.8 only.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Andreas
> >
> > Am 30.01.2018 um 07:29 schrieb Hervé BOUTEMY:
> > > there are 2 additional plugins updates available:
> > > [INFO]   maven-checkstyle-plugin ............................. 2.17 ->
> > > 3.0.0 [INFO]   maven-pmd-plugin ..............................
> > > 3.7 -> 3.8
> > >
> > > do we upgrade or not? and is this only changing the version, or does it
> > > require more config (IIRC, m-checkstyle-p has some big changes in
> 3.0.0)
> > >
> > > This is the last question before Maven Parent 31 release
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Hervé

> version

> time

> will
> location)

> manager

Re: Plan for releasing Maven core

Hervé BOUTEMY
I must confess that I don't understand G+ nor Facebook buttons result

any reason not to remove them?

Le mercredi 31 janvier 2018, 10:07:06 CET Stephen Connolly a écrit :

> I like the twitter one, it's not too obtrusive. The facebook one looks
> "meh" and the G+ is similar, i.e. I do not know what the call to action is
> (what am I liking)... but "Follow @ASFMavenProject" is clear (once you see
> it)
>
> Perhaps that is an expected thing for the facebook and G+ networks and
> explains why I do not engage strongly with them. I know what I am doing
> when I "Follow @ASFMavenProject"... but are the Facebook and G+ buttons
> liking some group on those networks or publishing a link to this page?
>
> On 31 January 2018 at 06:06, Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > thank you Andreas: this was exactly the type of feedback I needed
> >
> > upgrade done: now need to have a look at maven-checkstyle-plugin
> >
> > I also added Twitter and Facebook buttons to the G+ as test: you can see
> > the
> > result on the LATEST page [1]
> > feedback welcome: keep or remove some from parent POM?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Hervé
> >
> > [1] http://maven.apache.org/pom-archives/maven-LATEST/
> >
> > Le mardi 30 janvier 2018, 09:16:55 CET Andreas Dangel a écrit :
> > > Since yesterday, m-pmd-p 3.9.0 is available - however, this includes a
> > > major upgrade of PMD to 6.0.1. While all custom rulesets keep working,
> > > the users will see a couple of deprecation warnings (the rules have been
> > > reorganized).
> > >
> > > I'd recommend to upgrade m-pmd-p from 3.7 -> 3.8 only.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Andreas

> > 3.0.0)

> > version

> > time

> > will

> > location)

> > manager

Re: Plan for releasing Maven core

Hi Sylwester,

That's what I checked yesterday (or today very very early to be more precise
:) ) before doing the release

thanks

Hervé

: