PSA: You can't push POMs with child.inherit.append.path attributes to Maven Central yet

PSA: You can't push POMs with child.inherit.append.path attributes to Maven Central yet

Mark Raynsford-3
Hello!

Ran into a problem today whilst trying to push artifacts to Central
that happened to use the new MNG-5951 attributes.

See: http://blog.io7m.com/2018/11/01/you-cannot-put-that-there.xhtml
See: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-5951
See: https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/MVNCENTRAL-4085

Just letting everyone know that they'll run into this until Sonatype do
whatever updates are required.

--
Mark Raynsford | http://www.io7m.com

Re: PSA: You can't push POMs with child.inherit.append.path attributes to Maven Central yet

Ah, I forgot about Nexus staging checks...

I also forgot to merge MNG-6059 [1], which changes the attributes names for
more flexibility on scm urls.

Looks like Maven 3.6.0 is not fully ready for this feature, will require 3.6.1
to have a definitive solution: sorry for the mistakes, and eager to see more
user tests to detect such issues earlier in the future

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6059

On 01/11/18 23:55, Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Ah, I forgot about Nexus staging checks...
>
> I also forgot to merge MNG-6059 [1], which changes the attributes names for
> more flexibility on scm urls.
>
> Looks like Maven 3.6.0 is not fully ready for this feature, will require 3.6.1
> to have a definitive solution: sorry for the mistakes, and eager to see more
> user tests to detect such issues earlier in the future

Sounds like I should make another Core release within the next 4 Weeks
to fix this..

let us summarize that...

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

On 2018-11-01T23:55:43 +0100
Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Ah, I forgot about Nexus staging checks...

I did too. :)

Actually didn't occur to me that Nexus would be doing a full evaluation
of the POM. I had sort of assumed that they'd just be parsing it and
looking for the presence of elements (using an XPath tool or something
similar).

> I also forgot to merge MNG-6059 [1], which changes the attributes names for
> more flexibility on scm urls.
>
> Looks like Maven 3.6.0 is not fully ready for this feature, will require 3.6.1
> to have a definitive solution: sorry for the mistakes, and eager to see more
> user tests to detect such issues earlier in the future

It was slightly poor timing on my part. I was incredibly busy
throughout the entire 3.6.0 release and only had time to test one
plugin. I should be more available for 3.6.1.

--
Mark Raynsford | http://www.io7m.com

Re: PSA: You can't push POMs with child.inherit.append.path attributes to Maven Central yet

yes, sorry...

I already marked MNG-6059 as "fix for: 3.6.1"

I suppose we should fix also the compatibility issue with IntelliJ, since it
should not be complex on our side

Le vendredi 2 novembre 2018, 06:17:06 CET Karl Heinz Marbaise a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> On 01/11/18 23:55, Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Ah, I forgot about Nexus staging checks...
> >
> > I also forgot to merge MNG-6059 [1], which changes the attributes names
> > for
> > more flexibility on scm urls.
> >
> > Looks like Maven 3.6.0 is not fully ready for this feature, will require
> > 3.6.1 to have a definitive solution: sorry for the mistakes, and eager to
> > see more user tests to detect such issues earlier in the future
>
> Sounds like I should make another Core release within the next 4 Weeks
> to fix this..
>
> let us summarize that...
>
> Kind regards
> Karl Heinz Marbaise
>
> > Regards,
> >
> > Hervé
> >
> > [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6059
> >
> > Le jeudi 1 novembre 2018, 15:52:58 CET Mark Raynsford a écrit :
> >> Hello!
> >>
> >> Ran into a problem today whilst trying to push artifacts to Central
> >> that happened to use the new MNG-5951 attributes.
> >>
> >> See: http://blog.io7m.com/2018/11/01/you-cannot-put-that-there.xhtml
> >> See: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-5951
> >> See: https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/MVNCENTRAL-4085
> >>
> >> Just letting everyone know that they'll run into this until Sonatype do
> >> whatever updates are required.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Mark Raynsford | http://www.io7m.com

Re: PSA: You can't push POMs with child.inherit.append.path attributes to Maven Central yet

Karl Heinz Marbaise-3
Hi Hervé,

On 03/11/18 12:29, Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:
> yes, sorry...

No problem..

> I already marked MNG-6059 as "fix for: 3.6.1"
>
> I suppose we should fix also the compatibility issue with IntelliJ, since it
> should not be complex on our side

If its that simple we should do that...

But on the other hand if we change back to the previous state the IDE's
have to change another time?  But I'm not sure about that..

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>
> Le vendredi 2 novembre 2018, 06:17:06 CET Karl Heinz Marbaise a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 01/11/18 23:55, Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Ah, I forgot about Nexus staging checks...
>>>
>>> I also forgot to merge MNG-6059 [1], which changes the attributes names
>>> for
>>> more flexibility on scm urls.
>>>
>>> Looks like Maven 3.6.0 is not fully ready for this feature, will require
>>> 3.6.1 to have a definitive solution: sorry for the mistakes, and eager to
>>> see more user tests to detect such issues earlier in the future
>>
>> Sounds like I should make another Core release within the next 4 Weeks
>> to fix this..
>>
>> let us summarize that...
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Karl Heinz Marbaise
>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Hervé
>>>
>>> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6059

Re: PSA: You can't push POMs with child.inherit.append.path attributes to Maven Central yet

rfscholte
I could start experimenting with this specific issue.

Maven 3.6.0 has access to a FileTransformer, which can be used to make
remove this attribute and make its value explicit in the pom file.

Robert

Le samedi 3 novembre 2018, 12:36:30 CET Karl Heinz Marbaise a écrit :

> Hi Hervé,
>
> On 03/11/18 12:29, Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:
> > yes, sorry...
>
> No problem..
>
> > I already marked MNG-6059 as "fix for: 3.6.1"
> >
> > I suppose we should fix also the compatibility issue with IntelliJ, since
> > it should not be complex on our side
>
> If its that simple we should do that...
>
> But on the other hand if we change back to the previous state the IDE's
> have to change another time?  But I'm not sure about that..
IMHO, there are 2 points:
- for previous releases of the IDE, compatibility at Maven side is the only
solution: only future IDE versions can eventually protect themselves against
incompatibilities introduced at Maven level
- 3.6.1 will be released quickly, before 3.6.0 is widely deployed, and
eventually before updated IDE versions are deployed

it's like MNG-6059 implementation in 3.6.1+ that will replace MNG-5951 in
3.6.0 only: the 3.6.0 implementation will soon be forgotten...

> Kind regards
> Karl Heinz Marbaise
>
> > Regards,
> >
> > Hervé
> >
> > Le vendredi 2 novembre 2018, 06:17:06 CET Karl Heinz Marbaise a écrit :
> >> Hi,

> >> Sounds like I should make another Core release within the next 4 Weeks
> >> to fix this..
> >>
> >> let us summarize that...
> >>
> >> Kind regards
> >> Karl Heinz Marbaise

Re: PSA: You can't push POMs with child.inherit.append.path attributes to Maven Central yet

good idea, that's a good opportunity: let's try

Le samedi 3 novembre 2018, 13:01:34 CET Robert Scholte a écrit :

> I could start experimenting with this specific issue.
>
> Maven 3.6.0 has access to a FileTransformer, which can be used to make
> remove this attribute and make its value explicit in the pom file.
>
> Robert
>
> On Sat, 03 Nov 2018 12:36:30 +0100, Karl Heinz Marbaise
>
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi Hervé,
> >
> > On 03/11/18 12:29, Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:
> >> yes, sorry...
> >
> > No problem..
> >
> >>  I already marked MNG-6059 as "fix for: 3.6.1"
> >>  I suppose we should fix also the compatibility issue with IntelliJ,
> >>
> >> since it
> >> should not be complex on our side
> >
> > If its that simple we should do that...
> >
> > But on the other hand if we change back to the previous state the IDE's
> > have to change another time?  But I'm not sure about that..
> >
> > Kind regards
> > Karl Heinz Marbaise
> >
> >>  Regards,
> >>  Hervé

Re: PSA: You can't push POMs with child.inherit.append.path attributes to Maven Central yet

Dan Tran
looking forward to maven 3.6.1 with IDE fix which is blocking us from
moving forward

Thanks

-D

On Sun, Nov 4, 2018 at 3:33 AM Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]> wrote:

> good idea, that's a good opportunity: let's try
>
> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>
> Le samedi 3 novembre 2018, 13:01:34 CET Robert Scholte a écrit :
> > I could start experimenting with this specific issue.
> >
> > Maven 3.6.0 has access to a FileTransformer, which can be used to make
> > remove this attribute and make its value explicit in the pom file.
> >
> > Robert
> >
> > On Sat, 03 Nov 2018 12:36:30 +0100, Karl Heinz Marbaise
> >
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Hi Hervé,

> > > No problem..

> > > If its that simple we should do that...
> > >
> > > But on the other hand if we change back to the previous state the IDE's
> > > have to change another time?  But I'm not sure about that..
> > >
> > > Kind regards
> > > Karl Heinz Marbaise

> Weeks

> http://blog.io7m.com/2018/11/01/you-cannot-put-that-there.xhtml

> Sonatype

Re: PSA: You can't push POMs with child.inherit.append.path attributes to Maven Central yet

Hervé BOUTEMY
I want to fix it: how can I reproduce the issue?
I'm not an usual Idea user, need basic info to install it and reproduce the
issue...