Quantcast

[PROPOSAL] move doxia-book and doxia-maven-plugin from Doxia base to Doxia Sitetools

[PROPOSAL] move doxia-book and doxia-maven-plugin from Doxia base to Doxia Sitetools

Hervé BOUTEMY
while working on the relations between components, I finally found why there
was something I didn't understand for a long time about Doxia suite structure:
Doxia base contains book support through a plugin, but Doxia base doesn't
contain documents support -- it's Doxia Sitetools.

So we have a circular dependency:
doxia-maven-plugin (from Doxia base) -> maven-doxia-tools -> Doxia-decoration-
model (from Doxia SiteTools) -> Doxia base (xhtml, fo and itext)

IMHO, doxia-book and doxia-maven-plugin should move to Doxia Sitetools [1].

This won't change the artifacts coordinate, so won't change anything for
users.
But this should help when explaining Doxia suite structure, which has been
difficult for a long time, and having a consequence on versioning decision:
should we keep base and Sitetools version at the same level or not?

Any objection? Did I miss something?

[1] http://maven.apache.org/doxia/doxia-sitetools/index.html

Re: [PROPOSAL] move doxia-book and doxia-maven-plugin from Doxia base to Doxia Sitetools

Lukas Theussl-4

I agree that they don't belong into core, but I rather thought of moving
them into doxia-tools instead. Not sure what is better.

OTOH, neither book nor maven-plugin have been maintained (AFAIK) since
they were moved out of the sandbox, and IMO they don't work too well. In
particular there are problems reported with Maven 3 (DOXIA-438) which I
haven't tested, but I wanted to suggest a long time ago to deprecate and
ultimately remove them.

Also the doxia-test-docs should move somewhere else.

-Lukas

Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:

> while working on the relations between components, I finally found why there
> was something I didn't understand for a long time about Doxia suite structure:
> Doxia base contains book support through a plugin, but Doxia base doesn't
> contain documents support -- it's Doxia Sitetools.
>
> So we have a circular dependency:
> doxia-maven-plugin (from Doxia base) ->  maven-doxia-tools ->  Doxia-decoration-
> model (from Doxia SiteTools) ->  Doxia base (xhtml, fo and itext)
>
> IMHO, doxia-book and doxia-maven-plugin should move to Doxia Sitetools [1].
>
> This won't change the artifacts coordinate, so won't change anything for
> users.
> But this should help when explaining Doxia suite structure, which has been
> difficult for a long time, and having a consequence on versioning decision:
> should we keep base and Sitetools version at the same level or not?
>

> Any objection? Did I miss something?
>
> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>

> [1] http://maven.apache.org/doxia/doxia-sitetools/index.html

Re: [PROPOSAL] move doxia-book and doxia-maven-plugin from Doxia base to Doxia Sitetools

Dennis Lundberg-2
On 2012-03-29 09:13, Lukas Theussl wrote:

> I agree that they don't belong into core, but I rather thought of moving
> them into doxia-tools instead. Not sure what is better.

This was my thought also.

> OTOH, neither book nor maven-plugin have been maintained (AFAIK) since
> they were moved out of the sandbox, and IMO they don't work too well. In
> particular there are problems reported with Maven 3 (DOXIA-438) which I
> haven't tested, but I wanted to suggest a long time ago to deprecate and
> ultimately remove them.

If agree that they should be moved, let's start with that. If the target
is doxia-tools then let's move them there, prior to the 1.3 release of
Doxia and Doxia Sitetools.

My feeling about Doxia Tools is that their sub projects shouldn't be
released all at the same time. They are individual projects and should
have their own release cycles, much like our shared components or plugins.

Also I'd like to move maven-doxia-tools from shared over to Doxia. Given
its description
"Assists in using Doxia for site generation and report creation."
I think that Sitetools would be a good home for it.

> Also the doxia-test-docs should move somewhere else.

What are those? They look like they could be the basis of an IT suite.
Perhaps it should be a completely separate project under the Doxia umbrella?

> -Lukas
>

> Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:
>> while working on the relations between components, I finally found why
>> there
>> was something I didn't understand for a long time about Doxia suite
>> structure:
>> Doxia base contains book support through a plugin, but Doxia base doesn't
>> contain documents support -- it's Doxia Sitetools.
>>
>> So we have a circular dependency:
>> doxia-maven-plugin (from Doxia base) ->  maven-doxia-tools ->
>> Doxia-decoration-
>> model (from Doxia SiteTools) ->  Doxia base (xhtml, fo and itext)
>>
>> IMHO, doxia-book and doxia-maven-plugin should move to Doxia Sitetools
>> [1].
>>
>> This won't change the artifacts coordinate, so won't change anything for
>> users.
>> But this should help when explaining Doxia suite structure, which has
>> been
>> difficult for a long time, and having a consequence on versioning
>> decision:
>> should we keep base and Sitetools version at the same level or not?
>>

>> Any objection? Did I miss something?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Hervé
>>

>> [1] http://maven.apache.org/doxia/doxia-sitetools/index.html

Dennis Lundberg

Dennis Lundberg wrote:

> On 2012-03-29 09:13, Lukas Theussl wrote:
>>
>> I agree that they don't belong into core, but I rather thought of moving
>> them into doxia-tools instead. Not sure what is better.
>
> This was my thought also.
>
>> OTOH, neither book nor maven-plugin have been maintained (AFAIK) since
>> they were moved out of the sandbox, and IMO they don't work too well. In
>> particular there are problems reported with Maven 3 (DOXIA-438) which I
>> haven't tested, but I wanted to suggest a long time ago to deprecate and
>> ultimately remove them.
>
> If agree that they should be moved, let's start with that. If the target
> is doxia-tools then let's move them there, prior to the 1.3 release of
> Doxia and Doxia Sitetools.
>
> My feeling about Doxia Tools is that their sub projects shouldn't be
> released all at the same time. They are individual projects and should
> have their own release cycles, much like our shared components or plugins.

I agree for doxia-tools. Doxia and doxia-sitetools are closer coupled
though, I think they should be released together. Maybe the
doxia-maven-plugin should go into sitetools, and the book into tools?

> Also I'd like to move maven-doxia-tools from shared over to Doxia. Given
> its description
> "Assists in using Doxia for site generation and report creation."

Don't know where you got that from, the current pom [1] says "A
collection of tools to help the integration of Doxia in Maven plugins."
I think we also talked about renaming it to 'doxia-integration-tools'
which sounds more descriptive.

[1]
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/maven/shared/trunk/maven-doxia-tools/pom.xml?revision=1214494&view=markup

> I think that Sitetools would be a good home for it.

Sounds reasonable.

>> Also the doxia-test-docs should move somewhere else.
>
> What are those? They look like they could be the basis of an IT suite.
> Perhaps it should be a completely separate project under the Doxia umbrella?

It's not a project actually, just a collection of test resources. They
were originally added to check the correctness of the XSDs, see this
mail thread:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/maven-doxia-dev/200812.mbox/%3C493D50DF.3040705%40udo.edu%3E

It's currently used by xdoc and fml modules, however, I'm not sure of
the usefulness, see eg my comment in
XdocValidatorTest#testValidateFiles. IMO the validation test would be
useful if it tested either a new xsd against the old test files, or some
new test files (created by a new doxia module) against the existing xsd.
But currently the test takes the old test files (from test-docs) and
validates it with the established xsds (fml-1.0-1, xdoc-2.2), so I don't
see the point.

Just some thoughts, unfortunately I don't have time right now to help
with any 'real' work...

-Lukas

>> -Lukas
>>

>> Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:
>>> while working on the relations between components, I finally found why
>>> there
>>> was something I didn't understand for a long time about Doxia suite
>>> structure:
>>> Doxia base contains book support through a plugin, but Doxia base doesn't
>>> contain documents support -- it's Doxia Sitetools.
>>>
>>> So we have a circular dependency:
>>> doxia-maven-plugin (from Doxia base) ->   maven-doxia-tools ->
>>> Doxia-decoration-
>>> model (from Doxia SiteTools) ->   Doxia base (xhtml, fo and itext)
>>>
>>> IMHO, doxia-book and doxia-maven-plugin should move to Doxia Sitetools
>>> [1].
>>>
>>> This won't change the artifacts coordinate, so won't change anything for
>>> users.
>>> But this should help when explaining Doxia suite structure, which has
>>> been
>>> difficult for a long time, and having a consequence on versioning
>>> decision:
>>> should we keep base and Sitetools version at the same level or not?
>>>

>>> Any objection? Did I miss something?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Hervé
>>>

>>> [1] http://maven.apache.org/doxia/doxia-sitetools/index.html

Re: [PROPOSAL] move doxia-book and doxia-maven-plugin from Doxia base to Doxia Sitetools

Hervé BOUTEMY
ok so:

1. doxia-book from Doxia to Doxia Sitetools,
  same artifact coordinates: org.apache.maven.doxia:doxia-book,
   1.2 is from Doxia tree, 1.3-SNAPSHOT will be from Doxia Sitetools

2. doxia-maven-plugin from Doxia to Doxia Tools,
  same artifact coordinates: org.apache.maven.doxia:doxia-maven-plugin
  1.2 is from Doxia tree, 1.3-SNAPSHOT will be from Doxia Tools

3. maven-doxia-tools from Maven Shared to Doxia Sitetools,
  changing artifact coordinates from org.apache.maven.shared:maven-doxia-tools
to org.apache.maven.doxia:maven-doxia-tools
Notice: the actual name in pom [1] is "Maven Doxia Integration Tools",
changing the artifactId to maven-doxia-integration-tools would be more
complete but IMHO somewhat verbose

doxia-test-docs is another story I still don't fully understand, it stays for
the moment in Doxia: we can have another look at it after previous changes

[1] http://maven.apache.org/shared/maven-doxia-tools/project-summary.html

Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:

> ok so:
>
> 1. doxia-book from Doxia to Doxia Sitetools,
>    same artifact coordinates: org.apache.maven.doxia:doxia-book,
>     1.2 is from Doxia tree, 1.3-SNAPSHOT will be from Doxia Sitetools
>
> 2. doxia-maven-plugin from Doxia to Doxia Tools,
>    same artifact coordinates: org.apache.maven.doxia:doxia-maven-plugin
>    1.2 is from Doxia tree, 1.3-SNAPSHOT will be from Doxia Tools

The other way round was it? doxia-book into Doxia Tools and
doxia-maven-plugin into Sitetools.

-Lukas

Le samedi 31 mars 2012 08:24:50 Lukas Theussl a écrit :
> The other way round was it? doxia-book into Doxia Tools and
> doxia-maven-plugin into Sitetools.
>
> -Lukas
no, Tools can depend on Sitetools, but not the other way

the other ways would be do move both modules to Tools or Sitetools
but not doxia-book to Tools and doxia-maven-plugin to Sitetools

Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:
> Le samedi 31 mars 2012 08:24:50 Lukas Theussl a écrit :
>> The other way round was it? doxia-book into Doxia Tools and
>> doxia-maven-plugin into Sitetools.
>>
>> -Lukas
> no, Tools can depend on Sitetools, but not the other way

Right, didn't think about the dependencies. I'd move both to Tools then,
that way they can have independent releases from doxia/sitetools.

-Lukas

> the other ways would be do move both modules to Tools or Sitetools
> but not doxia-book to Tools and doxia-maven-plugin to Sitetools
>
> Regards,
>
> Hervé

Re: [PROPOSAL] move doxia-book and doxia-maven-plugin from Doxia base to Doxia Sitetools

Dennis Lundberg-2
Hi guys

Here's an attempt to summarize this discussion and also add some of my
personal preference. This is how I want the directory structure, which
matches the inheritance structure, to be

doxia
+-- doxia-base (was doxia)
    +-- doxia-core
    +-- doxia-logging-api
    +-- doxia-modules
    +-- doxia-sink-api
    +-- doxia-test-docs (stays here for now)
+-- doxia-sitetools
    +-- doxia-decoration-model
    +-- doxia-doc-renderer
    +-- doxia-integration-tools (was shared/maven-doxia-tools)
    +-- doxia-linkcheck (moved here from doxia-tools)
    +-- doxia-site-renderer
+-- doxia-book-renderer (was doxia/doxia-book)
+-- doxia-book-maven-plugin (was doxia/doxia-maven-plugin)
+-- doxia-converter (moved here from doxia-tools)
+-- doxia-ide

a. Rebrand "Doxia" to "Doxia base" to differentiate it from Doxia - the
umbrella. We do not change the groupId.

b. doxia-test-docs stays where it is for now, until someone has the time
to look at it

c. shared/maven-doxia-tools moves to
doxia-sitetools/doxia-integration-tools. We should change the artifactId
and groupId now, because the current version of shared/maven-doxia-tools
is 1.4, but the new one will be 1.3.

d. In order to completely remove the psuedo-umbrella project doxia-tools
we move doxia-converter to the root and doxia-linkcheck to
doxia-sitetools. Another alternative is to move doxia-linkcheck to root.

e. doxia-book and doxia-maven-plugin work together, but should be
allowed to have independent release cycles, so they both move from doxia
to the root.
I also suggest changing their names to better reflect what they do.
doxia-book therefor becomes doxia-book-renderer and doxia-maven-plugin
becomes doxia-book-maven-plugin. This change should include changing the
artifactId for both of them.

Do we agree on this?

On 2012-03-31 08:55, Lukas Theussl wrote:

> Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:
>> Le samedi 31 mars 2012 08:24:50 Lukas Theussl a écrit :
>>> The other way round was it? doxia-book into Doxia Tools and
>>> doxia-maven-plugin into Sitetools.
>>>
>>> -Lukas
>> no, Tools can depend on Sitetools, but not the other way
>
> Right, didn't think about the dependencies. I'd move both to Tools then,
> that way they can have independent releases from doxia/sitetools.
>
> -Lukas
>

>> the other ways would be do move both modules to Tools or Sitetools
>> but not doxia-book to Tools and doxia-maven-plugin to Sitetools
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Hervé

Dennis Lundberg

Re: [PROPOSAL] move doxia-book and doxia-maven-plugin from Doxia base to Doxia Sitetools

Hervé BOUTEMY
I like the new ideas

minor changes I'd like:

- move doxia-linkcheck to root: it has nothing to do with sitetools, in fact
it has nothing to do with Doxia: look, it has no dependency on Doxia base,
it's just a general independant (useful) utility tool

- why not move doxia-book-renderer into doxia-sitetools, like doc & site
renderers? Just a thought, I don't have a strong position about this one, just
a thought I wanted to share

Dennis, I consider you lead the actual changes and I don't do anything unless
you tell me what I can do to help you without creating conflicts. Notice I'm
usually on IRC if you want to synchronize.

Regards

Hervé

Le samedi 31 mars 2012 09:59:56 Dennis Lundberg a écrit :

> Hi guys
>
> Here's an attempt to summarize this discussion and also add some of my
> personal preference. This is how I want the directory structure, which
> matches the inheritance structure, to be
>
> doxia
> +-- doxia-base (was doxia)
>     +-- doxia-core
>     +-- doxia-logging-api
>     +-- doxia-modules
>     +-- doxia-sink-api
>     +-- doxia-test-docs (stays here for now)
> +-- doxia-sitetools
>     +-- doxia-decoration-model
>     +-- doxia-doc-renderer
>     +-- doxia-integration-tools (was shared/maven-doxia-tools)
>     +-- doxia-linkcheck (moved here from doxia-tools)
>     +-- doxia-site-renderer
> +-- doxia-book-renderer (was doxia/doxia-book)
> +-- doxia-book-maven-plugin (was doxia/doxia-maven-plugin)
> +-- doxia-converter (moved here from doxia-tools)
> +-- doxia-ide
>
> a. Rebrand "Doxia" to "Doxia base" to differentiate it from Doxia - the
> umbrella. We do not change the groupId.
>
> b. doxia-test-docs stays where it is for now, until someone has the time
> to look at it
>
> c. shared/maven-doxia-tools moves to
> doxia-sitetools/doxia-integration-tools. We should change the artifactId
> and groupId now, because the current version of shared/maven-doxia-tools
> is 1.4, but the new one will be 1.3.
>
> d. In order to completely remove the psuedo-umbrella project doxia-tools
> we move doxia-converter to the root and doxia-linkcheck to
> doxia-sitetools. Another alternative is to move doxia-linkcheck to root.
>
> e. doxia-book and doxia-maven-plugin work together, but should be
> allowed to have independent release cycles, so they both move from doxia
> to the root.
> I also suggest changing their names to better reflect what they do.
> doxia-book therefor becomes doxia-book-renderer and doxia-maven-plugin
> becomes doxia-book-maven-plugin. This change should include changing the
> artifactId for both of them.
>
> Do we agree on this?
>
> On 2012-03-31 08:55, Lukas Theussl wrote:
> > Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:

> >> no, Tools can depend on Sitetools, but not the other way
> >
> > Right, didn't think about the dependencies. I'd move both to Tools then,
> > that way they can have independent releases from doxia/sitetools.
> >
> > -Lukas
> >
> >> the other ways would be do move both modules to Tools or Sitetools
> >> but not doxia-book to Tools and doxia-maven-plugin to Sitetools
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Hervé

Re: [PROPOSAL] move doxia-book and doxia-maven-plugin from Doxia base to Doxia Sitetools

Lukas Theussl-4

Why do you want to remove doxia-tools? I like the idea to have all the
independent apps collected in one folder.

Also, I think the original reason for maven-doxia-tools to go into
shared was to de-couple it from doxia, so it could be released
independently. I would prefer to leave it outside doxia/doxia-sitetools.

Here's my bid:

doxia
+-- doxia-base (was doxia)
     +-- doxia-core
     +-- doxia-logging-api
     +-- doxia-modules
     +-- doxia-sink-api
     +-- doxia-test-docs (stays here for now)
+-- doxia-sitetools
     +-- doxia-decoration-model
     +-- doxia-doc-renderer
     +-- doxia-site-renderer
+-- doxia-tools
     +-- doxia-book-renderer (was doxia/doxia-book)
     +-- doxia-book-maven-plugin (was doxia/doxia-maven-plugin)
     +-- doxia-converter
     +-- doxia-ide (moved here from root)
     +-- doxia-linkcheck
     +-- doxia-integration-tools (was shared/maven-doxia-tools)

Cheers,
-Lukas

On 2012-03-31 11:49, Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:
> I like the new ideas
>
> minor changes I'd like:
>
> - move doxia-linkcheck to root: it has nothing to do with sitetools, in fact
> it has nothing to do with Doxia: look, it has no dependency on Doxia base,
> it's just a general independant (useful) utility tool

Sure, that's fine with me.

> - why not move doxia-book-renderer into doxia-sitetools, like doc & site
> renderers? Just a thought, I don't have a strong position about this one, just
> a thought I wanted to share

Two reasons:

1. It has very little to do with the rest of the modules in doxia-sitetools.
2. It isn't stable yet as Lukas pointed out. Let's not put it under
another a production-grade umbrella. Instead move it somewhere else.

> Dennis, I consider you lead the actual changes and I don't do anything unless
> you tell me what I can do to help you without creating conflicts. Notice I'm
> usually on IRC if you want to synchronize.

Sure, I'll take the lead once we sort out the remaining minor
differences. And I'll ping you about the stuff I need help with.

> Regards
>
> Hervé
>
> Le samedi 31 mars 2012 09:59:56 Dennis Lundberg a écrit :
>> Hi guys
>>
>> Here's an attempt to summarize this discussion and also add some of my
>> personal preference. This is how I want the directory structure, which
>> matches the inheritance structure, to be
>>
>> doxia
>> +-- doxia-base (was doxia)
>>     +-- doxia-core
>>     +-- doxia-logging-api
>>     +-- doxia-modules
>>     +-- doxia-sink-api
>>     +-- doxia-test-docs (stays here for now)
>> +-- doxia-sitetools
>>     +-- doxia-decoration-model
>>     +-- doxia-doc-renderer
>>     +-- doxia-integration-tools (was shared/maven-doxia-tools)
>>     +-- doxia-linkcheck (moved here from doxia-tools)
>>     +-- doxia-site-renderer
>> +-- doxia-book-renderer (was doxia/doxia-book)
>> +-- doxia-book-maven-plugin (was doxia/doxia-maven-plugin)
>> +-- doxia-converter (moved here from doxia-tools)
>> +-- doxia-ide
>>
>> a. Rebrand "Doxia" to "Doxia base" to differentiate it from Doxia - the
>> umbrella. We do not change the groupId.
>>
>> b. doxia-test-docs stays where it is for now, until someone has the time
>> to look at it
>>
>> c. shared/maven-doxia-tools moves to
>> doxia-sitetools/doxia-integration-tools. We should change the artifactId
>> and groupId now, because the current version of shared/maven-doxia-tools
>> is 1.4, but the new one will be 1.3.
>>
>> d. In order to completely remove the psuedo-umbrella project doxia-tools
>> we move doxia-converter to the root and doxia-linkcheck to
>> doxia-sitetools. Another alternative is to move doxia-linkcheck to root.
>>
>> e. doxia-book and doxia-maven-plugin work together, but should be
>> allowed to have independent release cycles, so they both move from doxia
>> to the root.
>> I also suggest changing their names to better reflect what they do.
>> doxia-book therefor becomes doxia-book-renderer and doxia-maven-plugin
>> becomes doxia-book-maven-plugin. This change should include changing the
>> artifactId for both of them.
>>
>> Do we agree on this?

>>> Right, didn't think about the dependencies. I'd move both to Tools then,
>>> that way they can have independent releases from doxia/sitetools.
>>>
>>> -Lukas

Dennis Lundberg

On 2012-03-31 14:31, Lukas Theussl wrote:

> Why do you want to remove doxia-tools? I like the idea to have all the
> independent apps collected in one folder.

There are two problems as I see it:

1. It looks like an umbrella for releasing several modules at once, but
in reality the modules each have their individual release cycles.

2. We have some troubling naming conflicts. We have:
- doxia-sitetools
- doxia-tools
- maven-doxia-tools
Removing doxia-tools would make this at least a little better.

Do you see any problem moving them to the root? They'd all just inherit
from the maven-parent pom, instead of from the doxia-tools pom. That
means one less pom to maintain.

> Also, I think the original reason for maven-doxia-tools to go into
> shared was to de-couple it from doxia, so it could be released
> independently. I would prefer to leave it outside doxia/doxia-sitetools.

That's fine with me, although I would prefer to put it at the root for
the reasons I explained above.

> Here's my bid:
>
> doxia
> +-- doxia-base (was doxia)
>     +-- doxia-core
>     +-- doxia-logging-api
>     +-- doxia-modules
>     +-- doxia-sink-api
>     +-- doxia-test-docs (stays here for now)
> +-- doxia-sitetools
>     +-- doxia-decoration-model
>     +-- doxia-doc-renderer
>     +-- doxia-site-renderer
> +-- doxia-tools
>     +-- doxia-book-renderer (was doxia/doxia-book)
>     +-- doxia-book-maven-plugin (was doxia/doxia-maven-plugin)
>     +-- doxia-converter
>     +-- doxia-ide (moved here from root)
>     +-- doxia-linkcheck
>     +-- doxia-integration-tools (was shared/maven-doxia-tools)

The only thing we seem to not agree on, is whether to keep the
doxia-tools directory or not. Apart from that I'm fine with your bid.

> Cheers,
> -Lukas
>

> Dennis Lundberg wrote:
>> Hi guys
>>
>> Here's an attempt to summarize this discussion and also add some of my
>> personal preference. This is how I want the directory structure, which
>> matches the inheritance structure, to be
>>
>> doxia
>> +-- doxia-base (was doxia)
>>      +-- doxia-core
>>      +-- doxia-logging-api
>>      +-- doxia-modules
>>      +-- doxia-sink-api
>>      +-- doxia-test-docs (stays here for now)
>> +-- doxia-sitetools
>>      +-- doxia-decoration-model
>>      +-- doxia-doc-renderer
>>      +-- doxia-integration-tools (was shared/maven-doxia-tools)
>>      +-- doxia-linkcheck (moved here from doxia-tools)
>>      +-- doxia-site-renderer
>> +-- doxia-book-renderer (was doxia/doxia-book)
>> +-- doxia-book-maven-plugin (was doxia/doxia-maven-plugin)
>> +-- doxia-converter (moved here from doxia-tools)
>> +-- doxia-ide
>>
>> a. Rebrand "Doxia" to "Doxia base" to differentiate it from Doxia - the
>> umbrella. We do not change the groupId.
>>
>> b. doxia-test-docs stays where it is for now, until someone has the time
>> to look at it
>>
>> c. shared/maven-doxia-tools moves to
>> doxia-sitetools/doxia-integration-tools. We should change the artifactId
>> and groupId now, because the current version of shared/maven-doxia-tools
>> is 1.4, but the new one will be 1.3.
>>
>> d. In order to completely remove the psuedo-umbrella project doxia-tools
>> we move doxia-converter to the root and doxia-linkcheck to
>> doxia-sitetools. Another alternative is to move doxia-linkcheck to root.
>>
>> e. doxia-book and doxia-maven-plugin work together, but should be
>> allowed to have independent release cycles, so they both move from doxia
>> to the root.
>> I also suggest changing their names to better reflect what they do.
>> doxia-book therefor becomes doxia-book-renderer and doxia-maven-plugin
>> becomes doxia-book-maven-plugin. This change should include changing the
>> artifactId for both of them.
>>
>> Do we agree on this?

>>> Right, didn't think about the dependencies. I'd move both to Tools then,
>>> that way they can have independent releases from doxia/sitetools.
>>>
>>> -Lukas

Dennis Lundberg

Le samedi 31 mars 2012 15:54:31 Dennis Lundberg a écrit :
> > - why not move doxia-book-renderer into doxia-sitetools, like doc & site
> > renderers? Just a thought, I don't have a strong position about this
> > one, just a thought I wanted to share
>
> Two reasons:
>
> 1. It has very little to do with the rest of the modules in doxia-sitetools.
> 2. It isn't stable yet as Lukas pointed out. Let's not put it under another
> a production-grade umbrella. Instead move it somewhere else.

ok for me

Le samedi 31 mars 2012 16:09:44 Dennis Lundberg a écrit :

> > Here's my bid:
> >
> > doxia
> > +-- doxia-base (was doxia)
> >
> >     +-- doxia-core
> >     +-- doxia-logging-api
> >     +-- doxia-modules
> >     +-- doxia-sink-api
> >     +-- doxia-test-docs (stays here for now)
> >
> > +-- doxia-sitetools
> >
> >     +-- doxia-decoration-model
> >     +-- doxia-doc-renderer
> >     +-- doxia-site-renderer
> >
> > +-- doxia-tools
> >
> >     +-- doxia-book-renderer (was doxia/doxia-book)
> >     +-- doxia-book-maven-plugin (was doxia/doxia-maven-plugin)
> >     +-- doxia-converter
> >     +-- doxia-ide (moved here from root)
> >     +-- doxia-linkcheck
> >     +-- doxia-integration-tools (was shared/maven-doxia-tools)
>
> The only thing we seem to not agree on, is whether to keep the
> doxia-tools directory or not. Apart from that I'm fine with your bid.
in this version, doxia-tools can be not the parent module for one single
release cycle, but a simple directory from the site (like /plugins/ for maven)

doxia-ide, for example, with its main compoentn doxia-eclipse, won't be
released as part as a unique doxia-tools release

So with Lukas directory structure, and the doxia-tools nature change to a
simple directory, each sub-diretory having its own release cycle, I think wa
can have the best of everyone ideas

On 2012-03-31 16:46, Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:

> Le samedi 31 mars 2012 16:09:44 Dennis Lundberg a écrit :
>>> Here's my bid:
>>>
>>> doxia
>>> +-- doxia-base (was doxia)
>>>
>>>     +-- doxia-core
>>>     +-- doxia-logging-api
>>>     +-- doxia-modules
>>>     +-- doxia-sink-api
>>>     +-- doxia-test-docs (stays here for now)
>>>
>>> +-- doxia-sitetools
>>>
>>>     +-- doxia-decoration-model
>>>     +-- doxia-doc-renderer
>>>     +-- doxia-site-renderer
>>>
>>> +-- doxia-tools
>>>
>>>     +-- doxia-book-renderer (was doxia/doxia-book)
>>>     +-- doxia-book-maven-plugin (was doxia/doxia-maven-plugin)
>>>     +-- doxia-converter
>>>     +-- doxia-ide (moved here from root)
>>>     +-- doxia-linkcheck
>>>     +-- doxia-integration-tools (was shared/maven-doxia-tools)
>>
>> The only thing we seem to not agree on, is whether to keep the
>> doxia-tools directory or not. Apart from that I'm fine with your bid.
> in this version, doxia-tools can be not the parent module for one single
> release cycle, but a simple directory from the site (like /plugins/ for maven)
>
> doxia-ide, for example, with its main compoentn doxia-eclipse, won't be
> released as part as a unique doxia-tools release
>
> So with Lukas directory structure, and the doxia-tools nature change to a
> simple directory, each sub-diretory having its own release cycle, I think wa
> can have the best of everyone ideas

So, we keep the doxia-tools directory, but remove the parent pom.xml
that is in that directory?

Works for me. That means that there won't be an artifact named
doxia-tools any more, which was my main driver, and we can gradually
remove it from the site.

--
Dennis Lundberg

Dennis Lundberg wrote:
> On 2012-03-31 14:31, Lukas Theussl wrote:
>>
>> Why do you want to remove doxia-tools? I like the idea to have all the
>> independent apps collected in one folder.
>
> There are two problems as I see it:
>
> 1. It looks like an umbrella for releasing several modules at once, but
> in reality the modules each have their individual release cycles.

The doxia-tools pom should be just an aggregator, not a parent pom. I'd
just like a separate directory for these independent projects, as they
are not at the same level of importance as the other root projects.

> 2. We have some troubling naming conflicts. We have:
> - doxia-sitetools
> - doxia-tools
> - maven-doxia-tools
> Removing doxia-tools would make this at least a little better.

I agree. We could call it something else, say doxia-apps?

-Lukas

On 2012-03-31 17:13, Lukas Theussl wrote:

> Dennis Lundberg wrote:
>> On 2012-03-31 14:31, Lukas Theussl wrote:
>>>
>>> Why do you want to remove doxia-tools? I like the idea to have all the
>>> independent apps collected in one folder.
>>
>> There are two problems as I see it:
>>
>> 1. It looks like an umbrella for releasing several modules at once, but
>> in reality the modules each have their individual release cycles.
>

> The doxia-tools pom should be just an aggregator, not a parent pom. I'd
> just like a separate directory for these independent projects, as they
> are not at the same level of importance as the other root projects.

Do we need an aggregator pom in doxia-tools, or can we use the one that
is in doxia-trunks?

>> 2. We have some troubling naming conflicts. We have:
>> - doxia-sitetools
>> - doxia-tools
>> - maven-doxia-tools
>> Removing doxia-tools would make this at least a little better.
>>

> I agree. We could call it something else, say doxia-apps?

We can discuss the name some more, but we don't need to decide right
now, since we are not planning any release from doxia-tools just yet.

Since we are now in agreement about the directory structure, I'll start
moving things to their new homes.

> -Lukas
>

>> Do you see any problem moving them to the root? They'd all just inherit
>> from the maven-parent pom, instead of from the doxia-tools pom. That
>> means one less pom to maintain.
>>
>>> Also, I think the original reason for maven-doxia-tools to go into
>>> shared was to de-couple it from doxia, so it could be released
>>> independently. I would prefer to leave it outside doxia/doxia-sitetools.
>>
>> That's fine with me, although I would prefer to put it at the root for
>> the reasons I explained above.
>>
>>> Here's my bid:
>>>
>>> doxia
>>> +-- doxia-base (was doxia)
>>>      +-- doxia-core
>>>      +-- doxia-logging-api
>>>      +-- doxia-modules
>>>      +-- doxia-sink-api
>>>      +-- doxia-test-docs (stays here for now)
>>> +-- doxia-sitetools
>>>      +-- doxia-decoration-model
>>>      +-- doxia-doc-renderer
>>>      +-- doxia-site-renderer
>>> +-- doxia-tools
>>>      +-- doxia-book-renderer (was doxia/doxia-book)
>>>      +-- doxia-book-maven-plugin (was doxia/doxia-maven-plugin)
>>>      +-- doxia-converter
>>>      +-- doxia-ide (moved here from root)
>>>      +-- doxia-linkcheck
>>>      +-- doxia-integration-tools (was shared/maven-doxia-tools)
>>
>> The only thing we seem to not agree on, is whether to keep the
>> doxia-tools directory or not. Apart from that I'm fine with your bid.
>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> -Lukas

Dennis Lundberg

Le samedi 31 mars 2012 18:34:32 Dennis Lundberg a écrit :

> On 2012-03-31 17:13, Lukas Theussl wrote:
> >>
> >> There are two problems as I see it:
> >>
> >> 1. It looks like an umbrella for releasing several modules at once,
> >> but
> >> in reality the modules each have their individual release cycles.
> >
> > The doxia-tools pom should be just an aggregator, not a parent pom. I'd
> > just like a separate directory for these independent projects, as they
> > are not at the same level of importance as the other root projects.
>
> Do we need an aggregator pom in doxia-tools, or can we use the one that
> is in doxia-trunks?

IMHO, like /plugins/ in Maven:

- /tools/ (not /doxia-tools/, because it is redundant and let think it's more
than a directory)

- it contains an aggregator pom, just to be able to build all the tools in one
mvn comand

- does it need a parent pom (in /tools/doxia-tools/)? useful to share scm
configuration.

On 2012-03-31 19:31, Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:

> Le samedi 31 mars 2012 18:34:32 Dennis Lundberg a écrit :

>>> The doxia-tools pom should be just an aggregator, not a parent pom. I'd
>>> just like a separate directory for these independent projects, as they
>>> are not at the same level of importance as the other root projects.
>>
>> Do we need an aggregator pom in doxia-tools, or can we use the one that
>> is in doxia-trunks?
>
> IMHO, like /plugins/ in Maven:
>
> - /tools/ (not /doxia-tools/, because it is redundant and let think it's more
> than a directory)

I like "tools".

> - it contains an aggregator pom, just to be able to build all the tools in one
> mvn comand
>
> - does it need a parent pom (in /tools/doxia-tools/)? useful to share scm
> configuration.

The SCM URLs will be wrong if they are inherited from such a parent. It
unfortunately only works when the parent pom is in a directory directly
above.

We do need to figure out how to do with parents for the components
currently under doxia-tools though, as we will need to release
doxia-integration-tools in a not too distant future.

We could make them inherit from maven-parent but that looses some info,
like mailing lists, compared to using the current doxia-tools parent.

Perhaps we need a maven-doxia/pom.xml parent at the top level, that all
doxia components can inherit from, similar to maven-plugins and
maven-shared-components.

I've completed all the moves, except from doxia-ide. Would you mind
doing that move Hervé? If we really need to move it, that is. Is seems
to have moved away from doxia-tools once before. I don't know the
history there, perhaps you do?

--
Dennis Lundberg