Quantcast

[PROPOSAL] Merge the Doxia site into the Maven site

[PROPOSAL] Merge the Doxia site into the Maven site

Dennis Lundberg-2
Hi

When I saw some of the commits by Hervé on the CMS integration it hit
me: Why do we have a separate site module for the Doxia site?

Unless there are any difficult technical hurdles standing in the way,
why don't we just merge it into the regular Maven site?

I had a quick look at the POM and the only odd things in there is a
configuration snippet for doxia-maven-plugin that is injected into the
generated site somewhere, as well as creating some output files (RTF and
PDF) from a Doxia book example which are then copied to the generated
site using maven-antrun-plugin.

There's also a JIRA report in the Doxia site, which in my opinion is
wrong since Doxia is not one project anymore but rather an umbrella like
Plugins or Shared. So the solution would be to remove the report from
the site and add it to the project sites of Doxia, Doxia Site Tools and
Doxia Tools.

Thoughts?

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: [PROPOSAL] Merge the Doxia site into the Maven site

Hervé BOUTEMY
The Doxia site expert is Vincent Siveton: I hope he can express his opinion

Doxia (base + sitetools + tools) deserves IMHO the dedicated menus from the
actual Doxia site [1] to let people understand: it can/should be improved, but
if we merge the Doxia site with regular Maven site, we loose this dedicated
menu: I don't think this will help.
But you're right with the JIRA report being inappropriate: Doxia site doesn't
cover only Doxia base, which is [2].
I'm sure that this menu could be made more explicit to help people understand
the relation between Doxia site and each 3 components: removing the JIRA
configuration is the first step.

Since infra hasn't problems with having a few number of sub-sites being
treated as dedicated CMS site, I don't see any problem with maintaining Doxia
site.

To sum up:
- +1 to JIRA configuration removel from Doxia site
- -1 to merging into Maven regular site

[1] http://maven.apache.org/doxia/index.html

[2] http://maven.apache.org/doxia/doxia/index.html

Le lundi 26 mars 2012 22:13:17 Dennis Lundberg a écrit :

> Hi
>
> When I saw some of the commits by Hervé on the CMS integration it hit
> me: Why do we have a separate site module for the Doxia site?
>
> Unless there are any difficult technical hurdles standing in the way,
> why don't we just merge it into the regular Maven site?
>
> I had a quick look at the POM and the only odd things in there is a
> configuration snippet for doxia-maven-plugin that is injected into the
> generated site somewhere, as well as creating some output files (RTF and
> PDF) from a Doxia book example which are then copied to the generated
> site using maven-antrun-plugin.
>
> There's also a JIRA report in the Doxia site, which in my opinion is
> wrong since Doxia is not one project anymore but rather an umbrella like
> Plugins or Shared. So the solution would be to remove the report from
> the site and add it to the project sites of Doxia, Doxia Site Tools and
> Doxia Tools.
>
> Thoughts?

Re: [PROPOSAL] Merge the Doxia site into the Maven site

Hervé BOUTEMY
notice that I tried to commit improvements based on previous thoughts and
found in index.apt.vm the following link: {{{./jira-report.html}Release Notes
for ${doxiaVersion}}}

And since the Jira report isn't available in Doxia "base" site, if you simply
remove the actual JIRA report from Doxia site, we're stuck: we need to add the
report to Doxia "base" and publish it (either manually for 1.2 or wait for
1.3)

Regards

Hervé

Le mercredi 28 mars 2012 07:11:00 Hervé BOUTEMY a écrit :

> The Doxia site expert is Vincent Siveton: I hope he can express his opinion
>
> Doxia (base + sitetools + tools) deserves IMHO the dedicated menus from the
> actual Doxia site [1] to let people understand: it can/should be improved,
> but if we merge the Doxia site with regular Maven site, we loose this
> dedicated menu: I don't think this will help.
> But you're right with the JIRA report being inappropriate: Doxia site
> doesn't cover only Doxia base, which is [2].
> I'm sure that this menu could be made more explicit to help people
> understand the relation between Doxia site and each 3 components: removing
> the JIRA configuration is the first step.
>
> Since infra hasn't problems with having a few number of sub-sites being
> treated as dedicated CMS site, I don't see any problem with maintaining
> Doxia site.
>

> To sum up:
> - +1 to JIRA configuration removel from Doxia site
> - -1 to merging into Maven regular site
>
> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>
> [1] http://maven.apache.org/doxia/index.html
>
> [2] http://maven.apache.org/doxia/doxia/index.html
>
> Le lundi 26 mars 2012 22:13:17 Dennis Lundberg a écrit :
> > Hi
> >
> > When I saw some of the commits by Hervé on the CMS integration it hit
> > me: Why do we have a separate site module for the Doxia site?
> >
> > Unless there are any difficult technical hurdles standing in the way,
> > why don't we just merge it into the regular Maven site?
> >
> > I had a quick look at the POM and the only odd things in there is a
> > configuration snippet for doxia-maven-plugin that is injected into the
> > generated site somewhere, as well as creating some output files (RTF and
> > PDF) from a Doxia book example which are then copied to the generated
> > site using maven-antrun-plugin.
> >
> > There's also a JIRA report in the Doxia site, which in my opinion is
> > wrong since Doxia is not one project anymore but rather an umbrella like
> > Plugins or Shared. So the solution would be to remove the report from
> > the site and add it to the project sites of Doxia, Doxia Site Tools and
> > Doxia Tools.
> >
> > Thoughts?

Re: [PROPOSAL] Merge the Doxia site into the Maven site

Lukas Theussl-4

The JIRA report should go into the doxia sub-site (and corresponding
doxia-sitetools, etc), then you link to that from the base site for each
sub-project. WDYT?

-Lukas

On 2012-03-28 08:35, Lukas Theussl wrote:

> The JIRA report should go into the doxia sub-site (and corresponding
> doxia-sitetools, etc), then you link to that from the base site for each
> sub-project. WDYT?

Yup, that sounds like a good plan.

> -Lukas
>

> Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:
>> notice that I tried to commit improvements based on previous thoughts and
>> found in index.apt.vm the following link:
>> {{{./jira-report.html}Release Notes
>> for ${doxiaVersion}}}
>>
>> And since the Jira report isn't available in Doxia "base" site, if you
>> simply
>> remove the actual JIRA report from Doxia site, we're stuck: we need to
>> add the
>> report to Doxia "base" and publish it (either manually for 1.2 or wait
>> for
>> 1.3)
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Hervé
>>
>> Le mercredi 28 mars 2012 07:11:00 Hervé BOUTEMY a écrit :
>>> The Doxia site expert is Vincent Siveton: I hope he can express his
>>> opinion
>>>
>>> Doxia (base + sitetools + tools) deserves IMHO the dedicated menus
>>> from the
>>> actual Doxia site [1] to let people understand: it can/should be
>>> improved,
>>> but if we merge the Doxia site with regular Maven site, we loose this
>>> dedicated menu: I don't think this will help.
>>> But you're right with the JIRA report being inappropriate: Doxia site
>>> doesn't cover only Doxia base, which is [2].
>>> I'm sure that this menu could be made more explicit to help people
>>> understand the relation between Doxia site and each 3 components:
>>> removing
>>> the JIRA configuration is the first step.
>>>
>>> Since infra hasn't problems with having a few number of sub-sites being
>>> treated as dedicated CMS site, I don't see any problem with maintaining
>>> Doxia site.
>>>

>>> To sum up:
>>> - +1 to JIRA configuration removel from Doxia site
>>> - -1 to merging into Maven regular site
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Hervé
>>>
>>> [1] http://maven.apache.org/doxia/index.html
>>>
>>> [2] http://maven.apache.org/doxia/doxia/index.html

Dennis Lundberg

Re: [PROPOSAL] Merge the Doxia site into the Maven site

Dennis Lundberg-2
Hi

Ah, I hadn't thought about the menu. You are right.

On 2012-03-28 07:11, Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:

> The Doxia site expert is Vincent Siveton: I hope he can express his opinion
>
> Doxia (base + sitetools + tools) deserves IMHO the dedicated menus from the
> actual Doxia site [1] to let people understand: it can/should be improved, but
> if we merge the Doxia site with regular Maven site, we loose this dedicated
> menu: I don't think this will help.
> But you're right with the JIRA report being inappropriate: Doxia site doesn't
> cover only Doxia base, which is [2].
> I'm sure that this menu could be made more explicit to help people understand
> the relation between Doxia site and each 3 components: removing the JIRA
> configuration is the first step.
>
> Since infra hasn't problems with having a few number of sub-sites being
> treated as dedicated CMS site, I don't see any problem with maintaining Doxia
> site.
>

> To sum up:
> - +1 to JIRA configuration removel from Doxia site
> - -1 to merging into Maven regular site
>
> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>
> [1] http://maven.apache.org/doxia/index.html
>
> [2] http://maven.apache.org/doxia/doxia/index.html
>
> Le lundi 26 mars 2012 22:13:17 Dennis Lundberg a écrit :
>> Hi
>>
>> When I saw some of the commits by Hervé on the CMS integration it hit
>> me: Why do we have a separate site module for the Doxia site?
>>
>> Unless there are any difficult technical hurdles standing in the way,
>> why don't we just merge it into the regular Maven site?
>>
>> I had a quick look at the POM and the only odd things in there is a
>> configuration snippet for doxia-maven-plugin that is injected into the
>> generated site somewhere, as well as creating some output files (RTF and
>> PDF) from a Doxia book example which are then copied to the generated
>> site using maven-antrun-plugin.
>>
>> There's also a JIRA report in the Doxia site, which in my opinion is
>> wrong since Doxia is not one project anymore but rather an umbrella like
>> Plugins or Shared. So the solution would be to remove the report from
>> the site and add it to the project sites of Doxia, Doxia Site Tools and
>> Doxia Tools.
>>
>> Thoughts?

Dennis Lundberg

Re: [PROPOSAL] Merge the Doxia site into the Maven site

yes, that's what I meant
my point is that it is then published only on release: either we wait for next
release, or we copy the actual report by hand as if it was generated during
the 1.2 release

Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:
> yes, that's what I meant
> my point is that it is then published only on release: either we wait for next
> release, or we copy the actual report by hand as if it was generated during
> the 1.2 release

I don't get the point: the jira report is always generated for a given
release (not the current development version) as configured in the
report, so it can always be re-generated.

Cheers,
-Lukas

Le jeudi 29 mars 2012 08:11:58 Lukas Theussl a écrit :
> Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:
> > yes, that's what I meant
> > my point is that it is then published only on release: either we wait
> > for next release, or we copy the actual report by hand as if it was
> > generated during the 1.2 release
>
> I don't get the point: the jira report is always generated for a given
> release (not the current development version) as configured in the
> report, so it can always be re-generated.
true, we're ok on that :)
but the 1.2 release site was generated on 29/4/2011, and is available at 2
urls: latest [1] and 1.2 [2]
a real Jira report integration to this release would mean republishing the
whole site twice, with actual date which is not really the date of the
release.
Then IMHO we have 2 options:
- add the report to 1.2 release site by hacking and publishing the new report
only by hand (with wrong date, but who cares for just one page, or even the
date can be hacked by hand)
- wait for the future 1.3 release, which will contain the report configuration
directly when it is released (no hack)

I'm ok with both options, it's just a question of choice.

[1] http://maven.apache.org/doxia/doxia/index.html

[2] http://maven.apache.org/doxia/doxia-1.2/index.html