Quantcast

[PRO] Important upload slowness when Smart Proxy is activated

[PRO] Important upload slowness when Smart Proxy is activated

Arnaud Héritier
Hi all,

  I wanted to try the recent Smart Proxy feature on my instance to update our slave in our Vietnamese office

  To begin I just activated the Smart Proxy on my publishing instance and I notice an important decrease of performances from my CI server (Jenkins) which is downloading/uploading a lot of artifacts.

  Few figures :
For build #143 there was many jobs in // but in the past I never had a so bad upload. On build #145 the job was alone and the upload is really bad too.

I tried this feature because I saw some perfs improvements in 2.8 but it seems that for now the impact of its usage is always too much important. Is it a known issue ? Could I help by providing more details to solve this problem ?

Cheers,

--
-----
Arnaud Héritier
Mail/GTalk: aheritier AT gmail DOT com
Twitter/Skype : aheritier

Re: [PRO] Important upload slowness when Smart Proxy is activated

Rich Seddon
There is only one case I can think of where having smart proxy active might do this.

1) You have "fetch new artifacts immediately" enabled on the proxy side
2) You are redeploying the exactly the same artifact in subsequent jobs
3) The network connection is slow

In this case the remote will immediately begin downloading the newly deployed artifact after a build.  While it is doing so it holds the read lock, which would prevent new writes of the file until after the download completes.

Anyhow, my guess is that this isn't the cause here, and we're going to need to do some digging.  It would be helpful if you could file a support ticket at https://support.sonatype.com, we're going to need to see your logs and possibly some of your configuration.

Regards,

Rich

Twitter/Skype : aheritier

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 10:16 PM, Rich Seddon <[hidden email]> wrote:
There is only one case I can think of where having smart proxy active might do this.

1) You have "fetch new artifacts immediately" enabled on the proxy side

It was my goal to test it but when I slow the slowness I stopped my investigations on the "slave" side, and deactivated the smart proxy I wanted to setup

2) You are redeploying the exactly the same artifact in subsequent jobs

Yes it shouldn't happen. Jenkins is building new SNAPSHOTs

3) The network connection is slow

Between Jenkins and my Nexus main server it shouldn't. Between the main nexus server and my proxy server in our VN office it will be for sure slow AND unstable AND with large artifacts . That's why I wanted to test 1/ the Smart Proxy feature 2/ with prefetch if possible (but I'm not sure it may be a good idea)

In this case the remote will immediately begin downloading the newly deployed artifact after a build.  While it is doing so it holds the read lock, which would prevent new writes of the file until after the download completes.

Couldn't it be a problem on metadata files r it is only for artifacts ? they are often read/write by builds and perhaps it could create an issue.

Anyhow, my guess is that this isn't the cause here, and we're going to need to do some digging.  It would be helpful if you could file a support ticket at https://support.sonatype.com, we're going to need to see your logs and possibly some of your configuration.

Ok no problem. I will fill a ticket tomorrow. Thanks