Quantcast

Not finding artifact in local repo

Chris-10
I'm getting the following error. Maven claims it can't find a jar file
which does in fact exist in my local .m2/repository directory:

Build errors for myapp;
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: Failed to
execute goal on project myapp-core: Could not resolve dependencies for
project com.myapp:myapp-core:jar:0.1-SNAPSHOT: Could not find artifact
com.somethirdpartyapp:somethirdpartyartifact:jar:2.6.1 in central
(http://repo1.maven.org/maven2)

The third party jar that it's looking for does not exist in maven
central; it's a proprietary app. But it does exist in the proper place
in my local repo, with the right version number and everything (I've
triple checked).

Why isn't maven finding it locally? It's finding a ton of other jar
files without a problem.

My settings.xml is empty, if that's relevant.

Re: Not finding artifact in local repo

Benjamin Bentmann
Chris wrote:

> The third party jar that it's looking for does not exist in maven
> central; it's a proprietary app. But it does exist in the proper place
> in my local repo, with the right version number and everything (I've
> triple checked).
> [...]
> My settings.xml is empty, if that's relevant.

Could be
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/Maven+3.x+Compatibility+Notes#Maven3.xCompatibilityNotes-ResolutionfromLocalRepository

Benjamin

On 3/15/2011 5:39 PM, Benjamin Bentmann wrote:

> Chris wrote:
>
>> The third party jar that it's looking for does not exist in maven
>> central; it's a proprietary app. But it does exist in the proper place
>> in my local repo, with the right version number and everything (I've
>> triple checked).
>> [...]
>> My settings.xml is empty, if that's relevant.
>
> Could be
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/Maven+3.x+Compatibility+Notes#Maven3.xCompatibilityNotes-ResolutionfromLocalRepository

Thank you. That was the problem. I had had a setting.xml that pointed to
an internal repo at my company, and then cleared it out. Maven puts a
file named _maven.repositories in with the jar file in the local repo
that keeps track of where the jar came from. If the remote repo isn't
available, the build fails. Deleting _maven.repositories solved the problem.

This seems like an extrordinarily bad design. If a remote system goes
down, you can't do a build? If you have an internal repo at work, and
you take your laptop home, you can't do a build?

Re: Not finding artifact in local repo

twilliamson32
I'm curious if the _maven.repositories checking can be turned off.  We've
had some struggles with synchronization between remote repositories,
internal repositories and local repositories.   Seems like we should be
able to turn this off if we need to.

Does anyone know if that's possible?   (I googled, but got no helpful
results)

Tom Williamson
Senior Developer
O'Reilly/CSK Auto
645 E Missouri Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85012
(602) 631-7477

From:   Chris <[hidden email]>
To:     [hidden email]
Date:   03/16/2011 08:36 AM
Subject:        Re: Not finding artifact in local repo

On 3/15/2011 5:39 PM, Benjamin Bentmann wrote:

> Chris wrote:
>
>> The third party jar that it's looking for does not exist in maven
>> central; it's a proprietary app. But it does exist in the proper place
>> in my local repo, with the right version number and everything (I've
>> triple checked).
>> [...]
>> My settings.xml is empty, if that's relevant.
>
> Could be

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/Maven+3.x+Compatibility+Notes#Maven3.xCompatibilityNotes-ResolutionfromLocalRepository

Thank you. That was the problem. I had had a setting.xml that pointed to
an internal repo at my company, and then cleared it out. Maven puts a
file named _maven.repositories in with the jar file in the local repo
that keeps track of where the jar came from. If the remote repo isn't
available, the build fails. Deleting _maven.repositories solved the
problem.

This seems like an extrordinarily bad design. If a remote system goes
down, you can't do a build? If you have an internal repo at work, and
you take your laptop home, you can't do a build?

believed to be clean (mailgw2:B98541E6FF.689BE).

This communication and any attachments are confidential, protected by
Communications Privacy Act 18 USCS § 2510, solely for the use of the
intended recipient, and may contain legally privileged material. If you
are not the intended recipient, please return or destroy it immediately.
Thank you.

RE: Not finding artifact in local repo

Heix, Andreas
Hi Tom,

for the local maven build you could just add a "-o" or "-offline" as a parameter.
This stops communication with all remote repositories.

Hope this helps.
Andreas

From:   Chris <[hidden email]>
To:     [hidden email]