Nexus stopped responding after accessing System Feeds

Nexus stopped responding after accessing System Feeds

Menke, Mikolaj
Hello,

I am running Nexus 2.6.2-01 and faced a problem. I was trying to access "System Feeds" but after clicking one of the items on the list Nexus stopped responding. There was no answer neither from the UI nor from any artifact URL. There was just this message in the log repeated a few times before I restarted Nexus:

WARN  [Timer-1] Task-User java.util.prefs - Couldn't flush user prefs: java.util.prefs.BackingStoreException: Couldn't get file lock.

What could cause this issue and how to avoid it in the future? Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,
Mikolaj Menke

Re: Nexus stopped responding after accessing System Feeds

Rich Seddon
That log line has nothing to do with the system feed issue.  But you should check to see if the user running nexus has permission to write to the java preference store (on Linux this is located in ~/.java/.userPrefs).

The most likely cause of the system feed issue is that the Lucene indexes have gotten too large.  Try scheduling a "purge timeline" task under "administration/scheduled tasks".

Rich

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 8:39 AM, Menke, Mikolaj <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I am running Nexus 2.6.2-01 and faced a problem. I was trying to access "System Feeds" but after clicking one of the items on the list Nexus stopped responding. There was no answer neither from the UI nor from any artifact URL. There was just this message in the log repeated a few times before I restarted Nexus:

WARN  [Timer-1] Task-User java.util.prefs - Couldn't flush user prefs: java.util.prefs.BackingStoreException: Couldn't get file lock.

What could cause this issue and how to avoid it in the future? Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,
Mikolaj Menke

RE: Nexus stopped responding after accessing System Feeds

Menke, Mikolaj

Hello,

The user running Nexus has proper permissions to “~/.java/.userPrefs” for sure. I think it was other problem. I forgot to mention that I received an alert from our monitoring system that there are too many open files on the Nexus server. Probably that was why Nexus could not write to the java preference store. Immediately after the Nexus restart the alert was cleared and there were no more messages in the log.

Regarding the Lucene indexes I have checked and the “timeline” catalog occupies 33GB. Probably I should purge the timeline as per your suggestion. I took a look at the Nexus documentation and it says that this kind of task should only be run when there is too much space occupied by the timelines which is my case. But I have concerns – is it safe to purge this data? Are there any risks? What data or capability will I lose?

Regards,

Mikolaj Menke

Re: Nexus stopped responding after accessing System Feeds

Rich Seddon
You should increase the number of file handles available for Nexus, see here for information on how to do this:

https://support.sonatype.com/entries/27331708

Running "purge timeline" removes old events from the system feeds.  There is no risk to running this.

You might also want to have a look here to see other tasks you should be running on a regular basis:

https://support.sonatype.com/entries/26829788

Regards,

Rich