Newbie question

Lance Semmens
I'm a Newbie to Maven and can't seem to get started.
I've used the windows installer and installed maven.
I'm trying to run the quick test
(http://maven.apache.org/start/ten-minute-test.html)

Here's the errror
        Attempting to download log4j-1.2.8.jar.
        Error retrieving artifact from
[http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/log4j/jars/log4j-1.2.8.jar]:
java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect
        WARNING: Failed to download log4j-1.2.8.jar.
        The build cannot continue because of the following unsatisfied
dependency: log4j-1.2.8.jar

When I hit http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/log4j/jars/log4j-1.2.8.jar in a
browser, the connection works fine

Here's how i've installed maven:
The install told me to run the following:
(http://maven.apache.org/start/install.html)
%MAVEN_HOME%\bin\install_repo.bat %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%\.maven\repository

I've created the folder structures in the ten-minute-test in the folder
c:\sample-echo
I didn't know a value to use for %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH% so i'm using
c:\sample-echo
Therefore, i ran %MAVEN_HOME%\bin\install_repo.bat
c:\sample-echo\.maven\repository
I think I may have a bad value for %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%

RE: Newbie question

Lance Semmens
Thanks, i'll try this.
I've looked in the repository (created by install_repo.bat) and i have found
the file .maven\repository\log4j\jars\log4j-1.2.8.jar
Shouldn't maven use this instead of trying to download it?
I still think that I've created my repository incorrectly
Can anyone tell me what i should specify for %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH% in the
following statement?
install_repo.bat %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%\.maven\repository

Cheers,
Lance.

On 5/5/05, Lance Semmens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm a Newbie to Maven and can't seem to get started.
> I've used the windows installer and installed maven.
> I'm trying to run the quick test
> (http://maven.apache.org/start/ten-minute-test.html)
>
> Here's the errror
>         Attempting to download log4j-1.2.8.jar.
>         Error retrieving artifact from
> [http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/log4j/jars/log4j-1.2.8.jar]:
> java.net.ConnectException:      Connection timed out: connect
>         WARNING: Failed to download log4j-1.2.8.jar.
>         The build cannot continue because of the following unsatisfied
> dependency: log4j-1.2.8.jar
>
> When I hit http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/log4j/jars/log4j-1.2.8.jar in a
> browser, the connection works fine
>
> Here's how i've installed maven:
> The install told me to run the following:
> (http://maven.apache.org/start/install.html)
> %MAVEN_HOME%\bin\install_repo.bat %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%\.maven\repository
>
> I've created the folder structures in the ten-minute-test in the folder
> c:\sample-echo
> I didn't know a value to use for %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH% so i'm using
> c:\sample-echo
> Therefore, i ran %MAVEN_HOME%\bin\install_repo.bat
> c:\sample-echo\.maven\repository
> I think I may have a bad value for %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%

Re: Newbie question

Brett Porter
You probably need to configure a proxy:
http://maven.apache.org/reference/properties.html#Proxy_Properties

On 5/5/05, Lance Semmens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm a Newbie to Maven and can't seem to get started.
> I've used the windows installer and installed maven.
> I'm trying to run the quick test
> (http://maven.apache.org/start/ten-minute-test.html)
>
> Here's the errror
>         Attempting to download log4j-1.2.8.jar.
>         Error retrieving artifact from
> [http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/log4j/jars/log4j-1.2.8.jar]:
> java.net.ConnectException:      Connection timed out: connect
>         WARNING: Failed to download log4j-1.2.8.jar.
>         The build cannot continue because of the following unsatisfied
> dependency: log4j-1.2.8.jar
>
> When I hit http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/log4j/jars/log4j-1.2.8.jar in a
> browser, the connection works fine
>
> Here's how i've installed maven:
> The install told me to run the following:
> (http://maven.apache.org/start/install.html)
> %MAVEN_HOME%\bin\install_repo.bat %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%\.maven\repository
>
> I've created the folder structures in the ten-minute-test in the folder
> c:\sample-echo
> I didn't know a value to use for %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH% so i'm using
> c:\sample-echo
> Therefore, i ran %MAVEN_HOME%\bin\install_repo.bat
> c:\sample-echo\.maven\repository
> I think I may have a bad value for %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%

RE: Newbie question

vijayakumar.lakshmanan

I think if u give below mentioned property in u r
Build.properties then it will work

maven.proxy.host =
maven.proxy.port =
maven.proxy.username =
maven.proxy.password =

[...]

Confidentiality Notice

you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender at Wipro or [hidden email] immediately

Re: Newbie question

Brett Porter
exactly that (which ends up being c:\documents and settings\username -
try echo %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%).

Cheers,
Brett

On 5/5/05, Lance Semmens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks, i'll try this.
> I've looked in the repository (created by install_repo.bat) and i have found
> the file .maven\repository\log4j\jars\log4j-1.2.8.jar
> Shouldn't maven use this instead of trying to download it?
> I still think that I've created my repository incorrectly
> Can anyone tell me what i should specify for %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH% in the
> following statement?
> install_repo.bat %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%\.maven\repository
>
> Cheers,
> Lance.

thomasvdv
Hi Lance,
 When you fixed your proxy problem, Maven has automatically downloaded the
log4j library you've defined in project.xml from a central repository on the
Internet and copied it on your local hard drive. It only gets downloaded
once (unless you've defined a SNAPSHOT dependency which gets updated with
every build).
 I am not sure why you'd need to run the install_repo script. I've never
done this and it always worked fine. Brett?
 Thomas

 On 5/5/05, Brett Porter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> exactly that (which ends up being c:\documents and settings\username -
> try echo %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%).
>
> Cheers,
> Brett
>
> On 5/5/05, Lance Semmens <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Thanks, i'll try this.
> > I've looked in the repository (created by install_repo.bat) and i have
> found
> > the file .maven\repository\log4j\jars\log4j-1.2.8.jar
> > Shouldn't maven use this instead of trying to download it?
> > I still think that I've created my repository incorrectly
> > Can anyone tell me what i should specify for %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH% in
> the
> > following statement?
> > install_repo.bat %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%\.maven\repository
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Lance.

Re: Newbie question

Jamie Bisotti
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe there is no
requirement to run install_repo.  It just does an initial download of
some frequently used dependencies.  Basically, by running it after
installation, you pay an up front time cost as opposed to paying it
the first time you actually try to do something requiring one of the
often used dependencies.  From my experience, it isn't overly useful.

--
Jamie Bisotti
Software Engineer

Re: Newbie question

Brett Porter
On 5/6/05, Jamie Bisotti <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Someone correct me if I am wrong,

ok :)

Actually, install_repo copies the files from /lib into the local
repository. It saves you about 5 mb of downloads that you already
have.

It's not ideal, and certainly the long term goal is to eliminate /lib
and just use a repository.

Cheers,
Brett

Re: Newbie question

thomasvdv
In that case could this this not be removed from M1? I see little added
value.

 On 5/5/05, Brett Porter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5/6/05, Jamie Bisotti <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Someone correct me if I am wrong,
>
> ok :)
>
> Actually, install_repo copies the files from /lib into the local
> repository. It saves you about 5 mb of downloads that you already
> have.
>
> It's not ideal, and certainly the long term goal is to eliminate /lib
> and just use a repository.
>
> Cheers,
> Brett

Re: Newbie question

Brett Porter
On 5/6/05, Thomas Van de Velde <[hidden email]> wrote:
> In that case could this this not be removed from M1?  I see little added
> value.

It was strongly demanded before it existed as people had to download
files they already had. The docs contain a note:
"Note: This step is optional, but will save downloading several JARs a
second time."

- Brett

RE: Newbie question

Lance Semmens
D'oh.. I didn't even think to check if the environment variables were
already defined.

Cheers,
Lance.