New logo?

1234 ... 7

New logo?

stephenconnolly
I have been playing with reworking our front page...

I think the fluido skin is a big improvement, I would like to switch to that...

Only problem I see is that our current logo(s) are very tied to the old look and feel...

So do we want to see about launching a logo competition. TomEE had good success with theirs.

Also I'm looking at going with the top-menu version of fluido skin rather than the left menu... I have a solution to the "hidden" nature... but you'll just have to wait until I sync up with Hervé to find a way to get it pushed to staging from a branch without blowing up the production site to see my trickery!

-Stephen

Re: New logo?

olamy
Maybe only me but I cannot see the image :-)

On 17 December 2013 09:35, Stephen Connolly <[hidden email]

--
Olivier Lamy
Ecetera: http://ecetera.com.au

Re: New logo?

stephenconnolly
bollix gmail

On 17 December 2013 00:11, Olivier Lamy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Maybe only me but I cannot see the image :-)
>

> On 17 December 2013 09:35, Stephen Connolly <
> [hidden email]
> > wrote:
>
> > I have been playing with reworking our front page...[image: Inline images
> > 1]
> >
> > I think the fluido skin is a big improvement, I would like to switch to
> > that...
> >
> > Only problem I see is that our current logo(s) are very tied to the old
> > look and feel...
> >
> > So do we want to see about launching a logo competition. TomEE had good
> > success with theirs.
> >
> > Also I'm looking at going with the top-menu version of fluido skin rather
> > than the left menu... I have a solution to the "hidden" nature... but
> > you'll just have to wait until I sync up with Hervé to find a way to get
> it
> > pushed to staging from a branch without blowing up the production site to
> > see my trickery!
> >
> > -Stephen
> >

> --
> Olivier Lamy
> Ecetera: http://ecetera.com.au
> http://twitter.com/olamy | http://linkedin.com/in/olamy

Re: New logo?

stephenconnolly
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w5eblhl4q0fzc6p/Screen%20Shot%202013-12-16%20at%2022.32.03.png

On 17 December 2013 00:16, Stephen Connolly <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> bollix gmail
>

> On 17 December 2013 00:11, Olivier Lamy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Maybe only me but I cannot see the image :-)
>>

>> On 17 December 2013 09:35, Stephen Connolly <
>> [hidden email]
>> > wrote:
>>
>> > I have been playing with reworking our front page...[image: Inline
>> images
>> > 1]
>> >
>> > I think the fluido skin is a big improvement, I would like to switch to
>> > that...
>> >
>> > Only problem I see is that our current logo(s) are very tied to the old
>> > look and feel...
>> >
>> > So do we want to see about launching a logo competition. TomEE had good
>> > success with theirs.
>> >
>> > Also I'm looking at going with the top-menu version of fluido skin
>> rather
>> > than the left menu... I have a solution to the "hidden" nature... but
>> > you'll just have to wait until I sync up with Hervé to find a way to
>> get it
>> > pushed to staging from a branch without blowing up the production site
>> > see my trickery!
>> >
>> > -Stephen
>> >

>> --
>> Olivier Lamy
>> Ecetera: http://ecetera.com.au
>> http://twitter.com/olamy | http://linkedin.com/in/olamy

Re: New logo?

Jeff Jensen
Looks good.  I like the left nav better tho!
I don't think the Maven logo in the upper right corner looks bad/out of
place, however, a new logo is fun to have!

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 6:17 PM, Stephen Connolly <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> https://www.dropbox.com/s/w5eblhl4q0fzc6p/Screen%20Shot%202013-12-16%20at%2022.32.03.png
>

> On 17 December 2013 00:16, Stephen Connolly <
> [hidden email]
> > wrote:
>
> > bollix gmail
> >

> > On 17 December 2013 00:11, Olivier Lamy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Maybe only me but I cannot see the image :-)
> >>

> >> On 17 December 2013 09:35, Stephen Connolly <
> >> [hidden email]

> >> images

> old

> good

> >> rather
> >> get it

> >> --
> >> Olivier Lamy
> >> Ecetera: http://ecetera.com.au
> >> http://twitter.com/olamy | http://linkedin.com/in/olamy

Re: New logo?

stephenconnolly
I came up with a silly logo just to kick things off:

http://oi41.tinypic.com/33bctw2.jpg

Here's how it looks with the fluido skin

http://i39.tinypic.com/1zoz3v9.jpg

And I am not suggesting that an Ant Eater standing on an Apache feather and
slurping down the internet is the logo we should run with... it is a Worst
option that should spur a better version

On 17 December 2013 00:38, Jeff Jensen <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Looks good.  I like the left nav better tho!
> I don't think the Maven logo in the upper right corner looks bad/out of
> place, however, a new logo is fun to have!
>

> On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 6:17 PM, Stephen Connolly <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>

> https://www.dropbox.com/s/w5eblhl4q0fzc6p/Screen%20Shot%202013-12-16%20at%2022.32.03.png
> >

> > On 17 December 2013 00:16, Stephen Connolly <
> > [hidden email]
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > bollix gmail

> > old

> > good

> but
> site

Re: New logo?

Tamás Cservenák
Don't want to stir too much here, but the
http://oi41.tinypic.com/33bctw2.jpg
is typographically incorrect (odd kerning and odd/different typeface).

Long time ago I made vector based Maven logo (for Proximity site) that I
thought I donated to Maven project...

That one could serve as a great starting point for experiments, just get
some vector drawing app (I used http://inkscape.org/en/ to draw it long
time ago).

If not in ASF SVN, you can still access it from here (maven-logo.svg)
https://github.com/cstamas/proximity1/tree/master/proximity-site-stuff/srcs

HTH,
~t~

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 12:24 PM, Stephen Connolly <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I came up with a silly logo just to kick things off:
>
> http://oi41.tinypic.com/33bctw2.jpg
>
> Here's how it looks with the fluido skin
>
> http://i39.tinypic.com/1zoz3v9.jpg
>
> And I am not suggesting that an Ant Eater standing on an Apache feather and
> slurping down the internet is the logo we should run with... it is a Worst
> option that should spur a better version
>

> On 17 December 2013 00:38, Jeff Jensen <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
>
> > Looks good.  I like the left nav better tho!
> > I don't think the Maven logo in the upper right corner looks bad/out of
> > place, however, a new logo is fun to have!
> >

> > On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 6:17 PM, Stephen Connolly <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> https://www.dropbox.com/s/w5eblhl4q0fzc6p/Screen%20Shot%202013-12-16%20at%2022.32.03.png
> > >

> > > On 17 December 2013 00:16, Stephen Connolly <
> > > [hidden email]

> switch

> the
> > > old

> > > good

> > but
> > site

Re: New logo?

stephenconnolly
Meh! I was just trying to get something that would stir objections... hence
the strange kerning!

On 17 December 2013 12:46, Tamás Cservenák <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Don't want to stir too much here, but the
> http://oi41.tinypic.com/33bctw2.jpg
> is typographically incorrect (odd kerning and odd/different typeface).
>
> Long time ago I made vector based Maven logo (for Proximity site) that I
> thought I donated to Maven project...
>
> That one could serve as a great starting point for experiments, just get
> some vector drawing app (I used http://inkscape.org/en/ to draw it long
> time ago).
>
> If not in ASF SVN, you can still access it from here (maven-logo.svg)
> https://github.com/cstamas/proximity1/tree/master/proximity-site-stuff/srcs
>

> HTH,
> ~t~
>

> On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 12:24 PM, Stephen Connolly <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I came up with a silly logo just to kick things off:
> >
> > http://oi41.tinypic.com/33bctw2.jpg
> >
> > Here's how it looks with the fluido skin
> >
> > http://i39.tinypic.com/1zoz3v9.jpg
> >
> > And I am not suggesting that an Ant Eater standing on an Apache feather
> and
> > slurping down the internet is the logo we should run with... it is a
> Worst
> > option that should spur a better version
> >

> > On 17 December 2013 00:38, Jeff Jensen <
> [hidden email]
> > >wrote:
> >
> > > Looks good.  I like the left nav better tho!
> > > I don't think the Maven logo in the upper right corner looks bad/out of
> > > place, however, a new logo is fun to have!
> > >

> > > On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 6:17 PM, Stephen Connolly <
> > > [hidden email]> wrote:
> > >

> https://www.dropbox.com/s/w5eblhl4q0fzc6p/Screen%20Shot%202013-12-16%20at%2022.32.03.png

> Inline

> > switch

> > the

> had

> skin
> nature...
> > > but
> way
> production
> > > site

Re: New logo?

stephenconnolly
the anteater sucking down the interwebs from apache using Tamás's text

http://people.apache.org/~stephenc/maven-logo-contest/maven.png

And a screenshot with it

http://people.apache.org/~stephenc/maven-logo-contest/screenshot.png

On 17 December 2013 13:38, Stephen Connolly <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Meh! I was just trying to get something that would stir objections...
> hence the strange kerning!
>

> On 17 December 2013 12:46, Tamás Cservenák <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Don't want to stir too much here, but the
>> http://oi41.tinypic.com/33bctw2.jpg
>> is typographically incorrect (odd kerning and odd/different typeface).
>>
>> Long time ago I made vector based Maven logo (for Proximity site) that I
>> thought I donated to Maven project...
>>
>> That one could serve as a great starting point for experiments, just get
>> some vector drawing app (I used http://inkscape.org/en/ to draw it long
>> time ago).
>>
>> If not in ASF SVN, you can still access it from here (maven-logo.svg)
>>
>> https://github.com/cstamas/proximity1/tree/master/proximity-site-stuff/srcs
>>

>> HTH,
>> ~t~
>>

>> On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 12:24 PM, Stephen Connolly <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > I came up with a silly logo just to kick things off:
>> >
>> > http://oi41.tinypic.com/33bctw2.jpg
>> >
>> > Here's how it looks with the fluido skin
>> >
>> > http://i39.tinypic.com/1zoz3v9.jpg
>> >
>> > And I am not suggesting that an Ant Eater standing on an Apache feather
>> and
>> > slurping down the internet is the logo we should run with... it is a
>> Worst
>> > option that should spur a better version
>> >

>> > On 17 December 2013 00:38, Jeff Jensen <
>> [hidden email]

>> of

>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/w5eblhl4q0fzc6p/Screen%20Shot%202013-12-16%20at%2022.32.03.png

>> Inline

>> > switch

>> > the

>> had

>> skin
>> nature...
>> way
>> production

Re: New logo?

Kristian Rosenvold-4
I'm speechless.

Kristian

2013/12/17 Stephen Connolly <[hidden email]>

> the anteater sucking down the interwebs from apache using Tamás's text
>
> http://people.apache.org/~stephenc/maven-logo-contest/maven.png
>
> And a screenshot with it
>
> http://people.apache.org/~stephenc/maven-logo-contest/screenshot.png
>

> On 17 December 2013 13:38, Stephen Connolly <
> [hidden email]
> > wrote:
>
> > Meh! I was just trying to get something that would stir objections...
> > hence the strange kerning!
> >

> > On 17 December 2013 12:46, Tamás Cservenák <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Don't want to stir too much here, but the
> >> http://oi41.tinypic.com/33bctw2.jpg
> >> is typographically incorrect (odd kerning and odd/different typeface).
> >>
> >> Long time ago I made vector based Maven logo (for Proximity site) that I
> >> thought I donated to Maven project...
> >>
> >> That one could serve as a great starting point for experiments, just get
> >> some vector drawing app (I used http://inkscape.org/en/ to draw it long
> >> time ago).
> >>
> >> If not in ASF SVN, you can still access it from here (maven-logo.svg)
> >>

> https://github.com/cstamas/proximity1/tree/master/proximity-site-stuff/srcs
> >>

> >> HTH,
> >> ~t~

> feather
> >> and
> >> Worst

> >> [hidden email]

> >> of

> https://www.dropbox.com/s/w5eblhl4q0fzc6p/Screen%20Shot%202013-12-16%20at%2022.32.03.png

> >> Inline

> TomEE
> >> had

> >> skin
> >> nature...
> >> way
> >> production

Re: New logo?

stephenconnolly
A better looking anteater...

http://people.apache.org/~stephenc/maven-logo-contest/maven-2.png

http://people.apache.org/~stephenc/maven-logo-contest/screenshot-2.png

I think that may exhaust the AntEater and downloading all the internet joke
as far as my artistic ability can take it.... though I may try to rework
the apache feather to fit better... and I could move off the tango colour
palette that I have as my default in inkscape (it's default so that I can
keep with the tango theme that Jenkins uses for icons)

On 17 December 2013 13:45, Kristian Rosenvold
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> I'm speechless.
>
> Kristian
>

> 2013/12/17 Stephen Connolly <[hidden email]>
>
> > the anteater sucking down the interwebs from apache using Tamás's text
> >
> > http://people.apache.org/~stephenc/maven-logo-contest/maven.png
> >
> > And a screenshot with it
> >
> > http://people.apache.org/~stephenc/maven-logo-contest/screenshot.png
> >

> > On 17 December 2013 13:38, Stephen Connolly <
> > [hidden email]
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > Meh! I was just trying to get something that would stir objections...
> > > hence the strange kerning!

> that I

> get
> long

> https://github.com/cstamas/proximity1/tree/master/proximity-site-stuff/srcs

> > feather

> bad/out

> https://www.dropbox.com/s/w5eblhl4q0fzc6p/Screen%20Shot%202013-12-16%20at%2022.32.03.png

> tied

> > TomEE

> fluido
> find a

Re: New logo?

stephenconnolly
A closer look at the anteater...

http://people.apache.org/~stephenc/maven-logo-contest/maven-2-big.png

On 17 December 2013 15:23, Stephen Connolly <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> A better looking anteater...
>
> http://people.apache.org/~stephenc/maven-logo-contest/maven-2.png
>
> http://people.apache.org/~stephenc/maven-logo-contest/screenshot-2.png
>
> I think that may exhaust the AntEater and downloading all the internet
> joke as far as my artistic ability can take it.... though I may try to
> rework the apache feather to fit better... and I could move off the tango
> colour palette that I have as my default in inkscape (it's default so that
> I can keep with the tango theme that Jenkins uses for icons)
>

> On 17 December 2013 13:45, Kristian Rosenvold <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I'm speechless.
>>
>> Kristian
>>

>> 2013/12/17 Stephen Connolly <[hidden email]>
>>
>> > the anteater sucking down the interwebs from apache using Tamás's text
>> >
>> > http://people.apache.org/~stephenc/maven-logo-contest/maven.png
>> >
>> > And a screenshot with it
>> >
>> > http://people.apache.org/~stephenc/maven-logo-contest/screenshot.png
>> >

>> > On 17 December 2013 13:38, Stephen Connolly <
>> > [hidden email]

>> typeface).

>> that I

>> get
>> long

>> https://github.com/cstamas/proximity1/tree/master/proximity-site-stuff/srcs

>> > feather

>> bad/out

>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/w5eblhl4q0fzc6p/Screen%20Shot%202013-12-16%20at%2022.32.03.png

>> page...[image:

>> like to

>> tied

>> > TomEE

>> fluido
>> find a

Re: New logo?

Paul Benedict
I think the picture of an AntEater can feed into the "which is better: ant
vs maven?" debate. I would opt not to possibly offend the Ant team.

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 9:23 AM, Stephen Connolly <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> A better looking anteater...
>
> http://people.apache.org/~stephenc/maven-logo-contest/maven-2.png
>
> http://people.apache.org/~stephenc/maven-logo-contest/screenshot-2.png
>
> I think that may exhaust the AntEater and downloading all the internet joke
> as far as my artistic ability can take it.... though I may try to rework
> the apache feather to fit better... and I could move off the tango colour
> palette that I have as my default in inkscape (it's default so that I can
> keep with the tango theme that Jenkins uses for icons)
>

> On 17 December 2013 13:45, Kristian Rosenvold
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
> > I'm speechless.
> >
> > Kristian
> >

> > 2013/12/17 Stephen Connolly <[hidden email]>
> >
> > > the anteater sucking down the interwebs from apache using Tamás's text
> > >
> > > http://people.apache.org/~stephenc/maven-logo-contest/maven.png
> > >
> > > And a screenshot with it
> > >
> > > http://people.apache.org/~stephenc/maven-logo-contest/screenshot.png
> > >

> > > On 17 December 2013 13:38, Stephen Connolly <
> > > [hidden email]

> typeface).

> > that I

> > get
> > long

> (maven-logo.svg)
> > > >>

> https://github.com/cstamas/proximity1/tree/master/proximity-site-stuff/srcs

> > > feather
> is a

> > bad/out

> https://www.dropbox.com/s/w5eblhl4q0fzc6p/Screen%20Shot%202013-12-16%20at%2022.32.03.png

> page...[image:

> like

> > tied

> > > TomEE

> > fluido
> > find a

Cheers,
Paul

Re: New logo?

stephenconnolly
Yes I know... this is not a serious suggestion...

To understand my logic...

When people cannot decide what restaurant to go to, the easy way to get a
suggestion is to point out that if no agreement can be found we will just
go to McDonalds... and not the good McDonalds either, but the dodgy one on
*that* street, the one Fred said to avoid...

Somebody must have a better suggestion (and the Anteater was the animal on
the front of the O'Reilly book, hence my picking it... it being the only
thing associated with Maven image wise)

On 17 December 2013 15:28, Paul Benedict <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think the picture of an AntEater can feed into the "which is better: ant
> vs maven?" debate. I would opt not to possibly offend the Ant team.
>

> On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 9:23 AM, Stephen Connolly <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > A better looking anteater...
> >
> > http://people.apache.org/~stephenc/maven-logo-contest/maven-2.png
> >
> > http://people.apache.org/~stephenc/maven-logo-contest/screenshot-2.png
> >
> > I think that may exhaust the AntEater and downloading all the internet
> joke
> > as far as my artistic ability can take it.... though I may try to rework
> > the apache feather to fit better... and I could move off the tango colour
> > palette that I have as my default in inkscape (it's default so that I can
> > keep with the tango theme that Jenkins uses for icons)
> >

> > On 17 December 2013 13:45, Kristian Rosenvold
> > <[hidden email]>wrote:
> >
> > > I'm speechless.
> > >
> > > Kristian

> text

> objections...

> > typeface).

> > > that I

> just
> > > get
> it
> > > long

> > (maven-logo.svg)
> > > > >>

> https://github.com/cstamas/proximity1/tree/master/proximity-site-stuff/srcs

> > is a

> > > bad/out

> https://www.dropbox.com/s/w5eblhl4q0fzc6p/Screen%20Shot%202013-12-16%20at%2022.32.03.png

> > page...[image:

> > like

> > > tied

> competition.

> > > fluido
> > > find a

> --
> Cheers,
> Paul

Re: New logo?

Tamás Cservenák
Ok, then let me try to find some imagery... hm, google for maven, mkay,
click Images.... WOW

http://screencast.com/t/tfc20w9RA

I'd rather go to Fred's McDonalds... :D

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 4:33 PM, Stephen Connolly <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes I know... this is not a serious suggestion...
>
> To understand my logic...
>
> When people cannot decide what restaurant to go to, the easy way to get a
> suggestion is to point out that if no agreement can be found we will just
> go to McDonalds... and not the good McDonalds either, but the dodgy one on
> *that* street, the one Fred said to avoid...
>
> Somebody must have a better suggestion (and the Anteater was the animal on
> the front of the O'Reilly book, hence my picking it... it being the only
> thing associated with Maven image wise)
>

> On 17 December 2013 15:28, Paul Benedict <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I think the picture of an AntEater can feed into the "which is better:
> ant
> > vs maven?" debate. I would opt not to possibly offend the Ant team.
> >

> > On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 9:23 AM, Stephen Connolly <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > A better looking anteater...
> > >
> > > http://people.apache.org/~stephenc/maven-logo-contest/maven-2.png
> > >
> > > http://people.apache.org/~stephenc/maven-logo-contest/screenshot-2.png
> > >
> > > I think that may exhaust the AntEater and downloading all the internet
> > joke
> > > as far as my artistic ability can take it.... though I may try to
> rework
> > > the apache feather to fit better... and I could move off the tango
> colour
> > > palette that I have as my default in inkscape (it's default so that I
> can
> > > keep with the tango theme that Jenkins uses for icons)

> > text

> http://people.apache.org/~stephenc/maven-logo-contest/screenshot.png

> > objections...

> > > typeface).

> site)

> > just
> > it

> > > (maven-logo.svg)
> > > > > >>

> https://github.com/cstamas/proximity1/tree/master/proximity-site-stuff/srcs

> Apache
> it
> > > is a

> https://www.dropbox.com/s/w5eblhl4q0fzc6p/Screen%20Shot%202013-12-16%20at%2022.32.03.png

> [hidden email]

> > > page...[image:

> > > like

> very

> > competition.

> of
> "hidden"
> the

> http://linkedin.com/in/olamy

> > --
> > Cheers,
> > Paul

Re: New logo?

stephenconnolly
well if we do with Fred's McDonalds, the Apache feather needs some better
integration with the globe as there is a shadow mismatch in my mashup!

On 17 December 2013 15:48, Tamás Cservenák <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok, then let me try to find some imagery... hm, google for maven, mkay,
> click Images.... WOW
>
> http://screencast.com/t/tfc20w9RA
>
> I'd rather go to Fred's McDonalds... :D
>

> On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 4:33 PM, Stephen Connolly <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Yes I know... this is not a serious suggestion...
> >
> > To understand my logic...
> >
> > When people cannot decide what restaurant to go to, the easy way to get a
> > suggestion is to point out that if no agreement can be found we will just
> > go to McDonalds... and not the good McDonalds either, but the dodgy one
> on
> > *that* street, the one Fred said to avoid...
> >
> > Somebody must have a better suggestion (and the Anteater was the animal
> on
> > the front of the O'Reilly book, hence my picking it... it being the only
> > thing associated with Maven image wise)
> >

> > On 17 December 2013 15:28, Paul Benedict <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > I think the picture of an AntEater can feed into the "which is better:
> > ant
> > > vs maven?" debate. I would opt not to possibly offend the Ant team.

> http://people.apache.org/~stephenc/maven-logo-contest/screenshot-2.png

> internet
> > > joke
> > rework
> > colour
> > can

> > > text

> > http://people.apache.org/~stephenc/maven-logo-contest/screenshot.png

> > > objections...

> [hidden email]>

> > site)

> experiments,
> > > just
> draw
> > > it

> https://github.com/cstamas/proximity1/tree/master/proximity-site-stuff/srcs

> > Apache
> > it

> looks

> https://www.dropbox.com/s/w5eblhl4q0fzc6p/Screen%20Shot%202013-12-16%20at%2022.32.03.png

> > [hidden email]

> would

> > very

> > > competition.

> > of
> > "hidden"
> > the

> > http://linkedin.com/in/olamy

> > > --
> > > Cheers,
> > > Paul

Re: New logo?

Even though the fluido skin looks great, it also has a lot of whitespace.
The current mainpage is already quite long, with fluido it'll only get
longer.
We might need to restructure the whole page. For instance, complements for
the page design of Gradle[1], I have my doubts about buildr[2]

Robert

[1] http://www.gradle.org/
[2] http://buildr.apache.org/

Op Tue, 17 Dec 2013 01:17:11 +0100 schreef Stephen Connolly
<[hidden email]>:

> https://www.dropbox.com/s/w5eblhl4q0fzc6p/Screen%20Shot%202013-12-16%20at%2022.32.03.png
>

> On 17 December 2013 00:16, Stephen Connolly
> <[hidden email]
>> wrote:
>
>> bollix gmail
>>

>> On 17 December 2013 00:11, Olivier Lamy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe only me but I cannot see the image :-)
>>>

>>> On 17 December 2013 09:35, Stephen Connolly <
>>> [hidden email]

>>> images

>>> old

>>> good

>>> rather
>>> get it
>>> site

>>> --
>>> Olivier Lamy
>>> Ecetera: http://ecetera.com.au
>>> http://twitter.com/olamy | http://linkedin.com/in/olamy

Re: New logo?

Lennart Jörelid
Actually, I would claim that the problem is not one of whitespace, but
rather one of usability.

Readability (in regards to typography) and clarity (in terms of knowing
where you are on the site
and what your text context is) are difficult tasks to master in general -
but I think that the Fluido
skin has done wonders to increase both for maven sites. Readability
properties, such as font size,
leading, kerning, text flow and spacing are notoriously difficult to
control properly in a browser.

The problem is that Maven-generated sites lack some mechanics, I feel, in
dealing with big volumes
of content - such as the volume on the Maven main site. In particular,
consider the case where we need
a big menu system - Fluido and maven site works well in this regard for
smaller sites, but lack proper
mechanics for creating and visualizing navigation structures for big sites
(such as maven.apache.org).

The Gradle site uses a main navigation bar on top of the pages, and a
detailed site structure closer
to the bottom. This works well if we can distill fewer than - say - 9 main
menu items. The maven site
currently sports 9 (the structure of which could perhaps be improved
somewhat) , but also shows all
2nd level menu items. Good for experienced users - and
confusing/overwhelming for newer users.

Fluido is an improvement - but perhaps we should organise the site after
scenarios ("what I am trying to do")
instead of data structures. How do you feel about reducing the top-level
menu structure to the following :

Overview
Downloads
Tutorial
Documentation
Community

+==============================+
| Bästa hälsningar,
| [sw. "Best regards"]
|
| Lennart Jörelid
| EAI Architect & Integrator
|
| jGuru Europe AB
| Mölnlycke - Kista
|
| Email: [hidden email]

Re: New logo?

stephenconnolly
I actually am working on restructuring the whole main site landing page.

I am going to integrate linked-in's hopscotch to give people a tour of the
site too, as some things are going to end up slightly hidden if we make it
a better landing page.

I want to switch to top-bar nav... But that really needs the intro to point
people to it.

Also want to integrate a feedback form so users can tell us what works and
doesn't.

A new logo will help me make the whole thing gel... So get logoing

Sent from my phone

Re: New logo?

Barrie Treloar
On 18 December 2013 07:27, Stephen Connolly
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am going to integrate linked-in's hopscotch to give people a tour of the

Nice!
Good to find these things.

1234 ... 7