Need advice to put my bootstrap template in Maven archetype web app

Need advice to put my bootstrap template in Maven archetype web app

Karen Goh
Hi,

I have been struggling for 2 days where to put my bootstrap template that comes with pre-build template which includes css, fonts etc. inside my maven web project without success.

The problem - jsp is not rendering the bootstrap layout.  It was rendering ok before I changed the project structure which meets the Maven project standard structure.

This is a 3rd party bootstrap template.

After reading up the maven project structure, I have tried to put it under src/main/resources, tried under src, tried moving around all parts of the directory but to no avail....

I also used the below structure to move my WebContent which included this template but it is still not working

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/15529184/where-to-place-twitter-bootstrap-files-in-a-maven-project

Here's my pom.xml :

https://ibb.co/fesnGV

https://ibb.co/m7GQ3A

Here's where my bootstrap ended now (still not working) - where I put the jsp files and WebContent separately.

https://ibb.co/fKArbV

Please tell me where should I put the bootstrap template.

Thank you & regards,
Karen

Re: Need advice to put my bootstrap template in Maven archetype web app

jieryn
https://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-war-plugin/usage.html

 Subject: Re: Need advice to put my bootstrap template in Maven archetype web app
 To: "Maven Users List" <[hidden email]>, [hidden email]
 Date: Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 8:31 PM

 https://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-war-plugin/usage.html

Hi Jieryn,

Just to clarify, so I have to place the WebContent folder which contents all my bootstrap css etc under the resources ?

I am confused cos the title is how to WAR plug in where is my question is more on the Maven structure directory usage for 3rd party bootstrap template.

 :

 > https://ibb.co/fesnGV
 >
 > https://ibb.co/m7GQ3A

 Here's where my bootstrap ended now (still not working)
 - where I put the jsp files and WebContent separately.

 > https://ibb.co/fKArbV
 >
 > Please tell me where
 should I put the bootstrap template.

 > Thank you & regards,
 > Karen

Re: Need advice to put my bootstrap template in Maven archetype web app

jieryn
You said you wanted to create a maven web project. Forgive me, I
interpret that to mean a web application.

I'm not familiar with any official or unofficial way to create a 3rd
party bootstrap project. I presume you mean http://getbootstrap.com/
Bootstrap. Finally, your use of Maven archetype in the original
subject may be confusing other folks that want to assist, because that
term means you are creating a Maven Archetype which can be used to
materialize example projects. This doesn't seem unfit with your
suggestion about creating a bootstrap template, either.

So really it's quite confusing what you're asking, perhaps you can try again.

 To: "Maven Users List" <[hidden email]>, "Karen Goh" <[hidden email]>
 Date: Thursday, November 1, 2018, 10:14 PM

 You said you wanted to create a
 maven web project. Forgive me, I
 interpret
 that to mean a web application.

It is indeed a web application.

Please see https://ibb.co/fKArbV

My question is where should I place the bootstrap files so that it will render in my jsp?

 I'm not familiar with any official or
 unofficial way to create a 3rd
 party
 bootstrap project. I presume you mean http://getbootstrap.com/
 Bootstrap. Finally, your use of Maven archetype
 in the original
 subject may be confusing
 other folks that want to assist, because that
 term means you are creating a Maven Archetype
 which can be used to
 materialize example
 projects. This doesn't seem unfit with your
 suggestion about creating a bootstrap template,
 either.

I did not ask how to create a 3rd party bootstrap.

 So really it's
 quite confusing what you're asking, perhaps you can try
 again.
 On Thu, Nov 1, 2018 at 12:55 AM Karen
 Goh <[hidden email]>

 > On Tue, 10/30/18, jieryn <[hidden email]>

 Re: Need advice to put my bootstrap template in Maven
 archetype web app
 >  To: "Maven
 Users List" <[hidden email]>,
 [hidden email]
 >  Date: Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 8:31
 PM

 >  https://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-war-plugin/usage.html
 >
 > Hi Jieryn,
 >
 > Just to clarify, so I
 have to place the WebContent folder which contents all my
 bootstrap css etc under the resources ?

 > I am confused cos the
 title is how to WAR plug in where is my question is more on
 the Maven structure directory usage for 3rd party bootstrap
 template.

 >  On
 >  Sun, Oct 28,
 2018 at 4:37 AM Karen Goh <[hidden email]>
 >  wrote:
 >  >
 >  > Hi,
 >  >
 >  > I have been

 struggling for 2 days where to put my bootstrap template
 >  that comes with pre-build template which
 includes css, fonts
 >  etc. inside my
 maven web project without success.

 >  > The problem - jsp is
 >  not rendering the bootstrap layout.  It
 was rendering ok
 >  before I changed the
 project structure which meets the Maven
 >  project standard structure.
 >  >
 >  > This is
 a 3rd party bootstrap template.

 >  > After reading up the
 >  maven project structure, I have tried to
 put it under
 >  src/main/resources,
 tried under src, tried moving around all
 >  parts of the directory but to no
 avail....
 >  >
 >
 > I also used the below
 >  structure
 to move my WebContent which included this template
 >  but it is still not working
 >  >
 >  > https://stackoverflow.com/questions/15529184/where-to-place-twitter-bootstrap-files-in-a-maven-project
 >  >
 >  >
 Here's my pom.xml
 >  :
 >  >
 >  > https://ibb.co/fesnGV
 >  >
 >  > https://ibb.co/m7GQ3A
 >  >
 >  >
 >  >
 >  Here's
 where my bootstrap ended now (still not working)
 >  - where I put the jsp files and
 WebContent separately.
 >  >
 >  > https://ibb.co/fKArbV
 >  >
 >  > Please
 tell me where
 >  should I put the
 bootstrap template.
 >  >
 >  > Thank you & regards,
 >  > Karen
 >
 >
 >  >
 >
 >
 >  >

Re: Need advice to put my bootstrap template in Maven archetype web app

Thomas Broyer-2
On Thu, Nov 1, 2018 at 5:55 AM Karen Goh <[hidden email]>

> On Tue, 10/30/18, jieryn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>  Subject: Re: Need advice to put my bootstrap template in Maven archetype
> web app
>  To: "Maven Users List" <[hidden email]>, [hidden email]
>  Date: Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 8:31 PM
>
>  https://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-war-plugin/usage.html
>
> Hi Jieryn,
>
> Just to clarify, so I have to place the WebContent folder which contents
> all my bootstrap css etc under the resources ?
>
> I am confused cos the title is how to WAR plug in where is my question is
> more on the Maven structure directory usage for 3rd party bootstrap
> template.

In Maven, everything is done by plugins, even the "standard" things.
Besides the things that are part of the Project Object Model (sources,
resources, output directory, test sources, test resources, test output
directory), the "standard layout" for Maven projects are actually simply
the default configurations for those plugins.
If you want to build a WAR file for a web app, you'll use
<packaging>war</packaging> in your POM, which will trigger the plugin
bindings for war packaging (
https://maven.apache.org/ref/3.6.0/maven-core/default-bindings.html#Plugin_bindings_for_war_packaging).
The maven-war-plugin is responsible for packaging the WAR file, and by
default will take the "web resources" from src/main/webapp.
In you case, you could either reconfigure the maven-war-plugin to use
WebContent as the warSourceDirectory, or move the content of you WebContent
folder into src/main/webapp (so you will have, for example, a
src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/web.xml file instead of WebContent/WEB-INF/web.xml)

See also
https://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-standard-directory-layout.html