NMaven Project Importer (pom generator)

12

Re: Questions regarding current state of C# build systems

James Carpenter-2
I posted a question on the maven developers mailing list on how to best support repository artifacts which are sensitive to changes in their filenames (read .NET assemblies).  I have gotten a very interesting response from Oleg Gusakov regarding some work he is doing with Mercury.  If Oleg implements the slight tweak I suggested (or some evolution of it), it is very likely Oleg will have done all the heavy lifting necessary to make proper storage of dlls trivial.

The thread subject is:  Requesting advice on how to best extend the maven repository format

The Mark Mail link below provides an easy way to review the thread:
http://markmail.org/search/?q=list%3Aorg.apache.maven.dev+Requesting+Advice+maven+repository#query:list%3Aorg.apache.maven.dev%20Requesting%20Advice%20maven%20repository+page:1+mid:5vqshhyownnk6yj7+state:results

This noisy chicken is quite excited at the hard work all the pigs are doing.

From: Shane Isbell <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Date: Wednesday, September 3, 2008, 5:50 PM

I did a 180 (a long and winding 180), finally coming to the conclusion that
not having versions in the filename doesn't buy us all that much, at least
in open development environments.

My preference is that all .NET artifacts going into public repository should
be signed with a strong name. If this is the case, it doesn't really matter
whether an artifact is compiled with the version in the filename or not.
0.16 does support using of system scope for referencing an assembly locally
on the file system so that assemblies external to Maven can still be used.

Shane

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 3:27 PM, Brett Porter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 04/09/2008, at 1:32 AM, James Carpenter wrote:
>
>  Where do I find the "long and winding discussions about the
repository
>> format"?  Is there a mailing list thread(s) on the maven dev list
I should
>> read?
>>

> Sorry, that's what I was referring to - it has come up a few times,
and I
> don't think it has ever been summarised in one place. I don't have
any

> direct pointers, but there would have been some on this list, dev@maven,
> and I believe some notes in the Maven wiki's.
>
> - Brett
>

> --
> Brett Porter
> [hidden email]
> http://blogs.exist.com/bporter/

Re: Questions regarding current state of C# build systems

Shane Isbell
Hi James,

You might also want to check out http://www.codeplex.com/byldan. It's a
Mavenish build system written in C# and is pretty fast. It's a project that
I started a while ago, but I haven't done any work on it within the last
year. It does the basics of compiling and testing with metadata and allows
writing of plugins. There are still a lot of missing components, but it may
be worth a look.

Shane

12