Multi-language projects

Smith, Thad
Hi,

I'm new to Maven and am looking at it to unify the build processes for
all of the internal products my group supports. We have several J2EE
projects that we're working on which makes Maven a good fit. But we also
have several non-Java projects and what's worse is that some of our J2EE
projects have other languages intertwined such as Perl and C and even
some proprietary languages.

I'm looking for two things...First, is anyone else out there using Maven
to successfully manage non-java projects like this? If so, do you have
any experiences/best practices that you can share?

Secondly, Are there any plugins out there to do Perl validation or C
compilation? My intuition is no since I can't find them on any of the
Maven plugin pages. I wanted to make sure before I go writing my own.

Regards,

Thad Smith
Senior Software Engineer
Electric Reliability Council of Texas

Re: Multi-language projects

baleineca
On 5/5/05, Smith, Thad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Secondly, Are there any plugins out there to do Perl validation or C
> compilation? My intuition is no since I can't find them on any of the
> Maven plugin pages. I wanted to make sure before I go writing my own.

Don't know about Perl, but for C, you can use maven 1.0.2 + maven
native plugin (http://maven.apache.org/reference/plugins/native/index.html)

Re: Multi-language projects

thomasvdv
I am not aware of any plugins for C but you could call <ant:exec/> from a
custom plugin to execute a compilation script for your language. Your
compilation scripts can be packaged within a plugin and executed on any
machine that has the a

On 5/5/05, Smith, Thad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to Maven and am looking at it to unify the build processes for
> all of the internal products my group supports. We have several J2EE
> projects that we're working on which makes Maven a good fit. But we also
> have several non-Java projects and what's worse is that some of our J2EE
> projects have other languages intertwined such as Perl and C and even
> some proprietary languages.
>
> I'm looking for two things...First, is anyone else out there using Maven
> to successfully manage non-java projects like this? If so, do you have
> any experiences/best practices that you can share?
>
> Secondly, Are there any plugins out there to do Perl validation or C
> compilation? My intuition is no since I can't find them on any of the
> Maven plugin pages. I wanted to make sure before I go writing my own.
>
> Regards,
>
> Thad Smith
> Senior Software Engineer
> Electric Reliability Council of Texas

Re: Multi-language projects

thomasvdv
ppropriate compiler.
  Cheers,
Thomas

 On 5/5/05, Thomas Van de Velde <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am not aware of any plugins for C but you could call <ant:exec/> from a
> custom plugin to execute a compilation script for your language. Your
> compilation scripts can be packaged within a plugin and executed on any
> machine that has the a
>
> On 5/5/05, Smith, Thad <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm new to Maven and am looking at it to unify the build processes for
> > all of the internal products my group supports. We have several J2EE
> > projects that we're working on which makes Maven a good fit. But we also
> > have several non-Java projects and what's worse is that some of our J2EE
> > projects have other languages intertwined such as Perl and C and even
> > some proprietary languages.
> >
> > I'm looking for two things...First, is anyone else out there using Maven
> > to successfully manage non-java projects like this? If so, do you have
> > any experiences/best practices that you can share?
> >
> > Secondly, Are there any plugins out there to do Perl validation or C
> > compilation? My intuition is no since I can't find them on any of the
> > Maven plugin pages. I wanted to make sure before I go writing my own.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Thad Smith
> > Senior Software Engineer
> > Electric Reliability Council of Texas

Re: Multi-language projects

Dan Tran
I have good success using maven-native-plugin, but

  1. it uses ant's cpp-tasks which is not in active development
  2. cpp-task does not support 'C', but there are uncommitted
      patches.  cpp-task is fairly straight forward to
      maintain yourself . (which can be bad)
  3. This plugin also not complete yet to handle diffirents native library
      formats (ie .dll. so. sl. a, etc)  but you can fixed it yourself

Overall, despite of all those above, it is well worth the switch to achieve
unify and predictable build system.

-D

On 5/5/05, baleineca <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5/5/05, Smith, Thad <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Secondly, Are there any plugins out there to do Perl validation or C
> > compilation? My intuition is no since I can't find them on any of the
> > Maven plugin pages. I wanted to make sure before I go writing my own.
>
> Don't know about Perl, but for C, you can use maven 1.0.2 + maven
> native plugin (http://maven.apache.org/reference/plugins/native/index.html)

RE: Multi-language projects

Donszelmann, Mark
Hi

we started with the native plugin for C and C++ and extended it for Fortran and
use cross-platform libraries (nar files) and include packages.

Have a look at:

http://java.freehep.org/freehep-nar-plugin

for maven 1.0.2 for now.

Regards
Mark Donszelmann

RE: Multi-language projects

Smith, Thad
Thanks, Easy enough...

Does anyone know if there is a way to read the output from an
<ant:exec/> task (which could be multi-line) to determine if the
compilation was in fact successful? If not, I'll probably need to write
an ant task to do this.

Thad Smith

I am not aware of any plugins for C but you could call <ant:exec/> from
custom plugin to execute a compilation script for your language. Your
compilation scripts can be packaged within a plugin and executed on any
machine that has the a

On 5/5/05, Smith, Thad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to Maven and am looking at it to unify the build processes for
> all of the internal products my group supports. We have several J2EE
> projects that we're working on which makes Maven a good fit. But we
also
> have several non-Java projects and what's worse is that some of our
J2EE
> projects have other languages intertwined such as Perl and C and even
> some proprietary languages.
>
> I'm looking for two things...First, is anyone else out there using
Maven

> to successfully manage non-java projects like this? If so, do you have
> any experiences/best practices that you can share?
>
> Secondly, Are there any plugins out there to do Perl validation or C
> compilation? My intuition is no since I can't find them on any of the
> Maven plugin pages. I wanted to make sure before I go writing my own.
>
> Regards,
>
> Thad Smith
> Senior Software Engineer
> Electric Reliability Council of Texas

Re: Multi-language projects

thomasvdv
Thad,
 You can use the following parameters:
 spawn=false
failonerror=true
 and a couple of others which are documented here:
 http://ant.apache.org/manual/CoreTasks/exec.html

 On 5/5/05, Smith, Thad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks, Easy enough...
>
> Does anyone know if there is a way to read the output from an
> <ant:exec/> task (which could be multi-line) to determine if the
> compilation was in fact successful? If not, I'll probably need to write
> an ant task to do this.
>
> Thad Smith

Perfect.

Thanks,

Thad

 and a couple of others which are documented here:
 http://ant.apache.org/manual/CoreTasks/exec.html

 On 5/5/05, Smith, Thad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks, Easy enough...
>
> Does anyone know if there is a way to read the output from an
> <ant:exec/> task (which could be multi-line) to determine if the
> compilation was in fact successful? If not, I'll probably need to
write

> an ant task to do this.
>
> Thad Smith

This looks great since we have to use Visual C++ (or at least the
Microsoft SDK) to compile our C code. I haven't found anything about
this in the documentation, but can your plugin be configured to produce
a dll?

Regards,

Thad Smith

RE: Multi-language projects

Donszelmann, Mark
If you set

[arch.[os.[linker.]freehep.nar.outtype to shared

it will produce a dll/so, but I have not tested this very well.

I also still need to decide what to do with the fact that
Linux/Unix can use the same name for .a and .so libs, since you
link with one or the other, while Windows cannot use the same
name for .lib/.dll since you always need to link to the .lib
(adapter for the .dll).

Is there any convention for this on Windows?

Regards,

Mark