Modello status

Elliotte Rusty Harold
Or any other projects besides Maven using Modello these days? Or are
we pretty much the sole dependents?

Context: I'm looking at some issues that seem to grow out of Modello's
code generation. The code there is fairly clean, but it's still a huge
additional layer of indirection that makes small changes far more work
to implement than they would be if the code Modello provides had been
written by hand and committed to the Maven repos.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold

Re: Modello status

rfscholte
Maven is indeed the main consumer of Modello, but there are more.
There are enough committers here in the team that can help with Modello.
I doubt that manual maintaining the generated code is possible (or preferred), Modello does ensure that readers/writers, model and XSDs stay in sync at all time.

I suggest to create the PRs for Modello, I still have some requirements that need to be implemented in Modello once focusing on Maven 5.

thanks,
Robert

On Thu, Dec 26, 2019 at 7:57 AM Robert Scholte <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Maven is indeed the main consumer of Modello, but there are more.
> There are enough committers here in the team that can help with Modello.
> I doubt that manual maintaining the generated code is possible (or preferred), Modello does ensure that readers/writers, model and XSDs stay in sync at all time.

The XSDs and the code are out of sync in at least two different ways
I'm aware of, and Modello is the proximate cause of at least one of
them:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-5986
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6036

I was exploring the possibility of fixing some issues with the
MavenXpp3Reader. One thing that surprised me is that Modello appears
to use string literals to create the generated code, not something
more easily edited such as Velocity templates.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold