Missing pom files in local repository - Nexus stopped serving pom.xml files

Missing pom files in local repository - Nexus stopped serving pom.xml files

Andreas Guther
Hi,

We are using Nexus beta-3.1 and the server was running fine for about 4
weeks since the last install.  Yesterday we started to encounter
problems with unresolved transient dependencies.  The builds did not
include transient dependencies.  We finally discovered that builds
starting yesterday at some point of time did not download the pom.xml
files into the local repositories.  We finally gave restarting Nexus a
shot and as it turned out after restarting Nexus and deleting the local
repository in the build account we got again complete entries in the
local repository, i.e. the pom files were downloaded again.

Is this a known problem, did someone else encounter this problem?  It is
a little bit worrisome that suddenly no pom files get downloaded though
I could access them via the download link on the Nexus Artifact Search
UI.

Andreas

RE: Missing pom files in local repository - Nexus stopped serving pom.xml files

Brian Fox
If they are coming from the download link, then most likely the problem was
with Maven itself. Sometimes there is metadata in the local repo that tells
maven the file it needs is there but the file itself is missing. If this
happens again, capture the logs from Maven and then only clear the local
repo before doing anything to Nexus.

RE: Missing pom files in local repository - Nexus stopped serving pom.xml files

Andreas Guther
Brian,

We had the problem in different build environments, two build boxes and
in at least four different developer environments.  I am hesitating
thinking this is Maven related.  I also deleted first local repos and
got the same incomplete downloads in different environments. Only after
restarting Nexus the problems was gone.  We started looking into this
yesterday afternoon and tried a lot before we turned our attention to
Nexus.

Andreas

RE: Missing pom files in local repository - Nexus stopped serving pom.xml files

Brian E. Fox
Hrm, ok. Was it just one file that was failing to be served, or more?
All just poms? If it happens again, I'd be curious to know what happens
when you try to load the file directly via the
/content/group/[groupId]/xxx path and from the
/content/repository/[repoid]/xxx paths.

Re: Missing pom files in local repository - Nexus stopped serving pom.xml files

Brian E. Fox
The other thing that would explain this is the Not Found Cache (NFC). If for
some reason the file wasn't able to be retrieved (a temporary connection
issue to the remote repo for example, or error on the remote repo), then the
artifact would end up in the NFC until the timeout expires (timeout is set
in the repo settings). The NFC can be cleared by clearing the cache's on the
repo (or subset of the repo).

If the artifact existed in the repo and somehow got into the NFC, then this
would be a bug and we'll try to reproduce this condition to check.

On 6/13/08 8:18 PM, "BRIAN FOX" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hrm, ok. Was it just one file that was failing to be served, or more?
> All just poms? If it happens again, I'd be curious to know what happens
> when you try to load the file directly via the
> /content/group/[groupId]/xxx path and from the
> /content/repository/[repoid]/xxx paths.

Thanks Brian!

That is helpful information.  We are suspecting a faulty connection to
one of our mirrored repository servers and that somehow fits with your
suggestions.

Andreas

The other thing that would explain this is the Not Found Cache (NFC). If
for
some reason the file wasn't able to be retrieved (a temporary connection
issue to the remote repo for example, or error on the remote repo), then
the
artifact would end up in the NFC until the timeout expires (timeout is
set
in the repo settings). The NFC can be cleared by clearing the cache's on
the
repo (or subset of the repo).

If the artifact existed in the repo and somehow got into the NFC, then
this
would be a bug and we'll try to reproduce this condition to check.

On 6/13/08 8:18 PM, "BRIAN FOX" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hrm, ok. Was it just one file that was failing to be served, or more?
> All just poms? If it happens again, I'd be curious to know what
happens
> when you try to load the file directly via the
> /content/group/[groupId]/xxx path and from the
> /content/repository/[repoid]/xxx paths.

Just to add:

The files definitely exist on the repository server. I did not look at
the timeout settings but we are using the default values.  However, the
problem was actual over a time range of almost 24 hours.  I would expect
that the timeout is shorter.

Andreas