Missing javax.servlet:jstl:1.2

Paul Gier
The artifacts for javax.servlet:jstl:1.2 seem to have disappeared from
central [1].  They still appear in the Sonatype search [2].  Does anyone
know what happened to these files?   Were they removed because of a bad
license or something?

[1]http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/javax/servlet/jstl/
[2]http://search.maven.org/#search|gav|1|g%3A%22javax.servlet%22%20AND%20a%3A%22jstl%22

Re: Missing javax.servlet:jstl:1.2

Paul Gier
It seems that the artifacts were moved to a different location:
https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/MVNCENTRAL-71

On 06/20/2011 10:41 AM, Paul Gier wrote:

> The artifacts for javax.servlet:jstl:1.2 seem to have disappeared from
> central [1].  They still appear in the Sonatype search [2].  Does anyone
> know what happened to these files?   Were they removed because of a bad
> license or something?
>
> [1]http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/javax/servlet/jstl/
> [2]http://search.maven.org/#search|gav|1|g%3A%22javax.servlet%22%20AND%20a%3A%22jstl%22

Re: Missing javax.servlet:jstl:1.2

Anders Hammar
I though artifacts were supposed to never change at central... This could
break people's builds.

/Anders

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 19:00, Paul Gier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It seems that the artifacts were moved to a different location:
> https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/MVNCENTRAL-71
>
> On 06/20/2011 10:41 AM, Paul Gier wrote:
> > The artifacts for javax.servlet:jstl:1.2 seem to have disappeared from
> > central [1].  They still appear in the Sonatype search [2].  Does anyone
> > know what happened to these files?   Were they removed because of a bad
> > license or something?
> >
> > [1]http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/javax/servlet/jstl/
> > [2]
> http://search.maven.org/#search|gav|1|g%3A%22javax.servlet%22%20AND%20a%3A%22jstl%22<http://search.maven.org/#search%7Cgav%7C1%7Cg%3A%22javax.servlet%22%20AND%20a%3A%22jstl%22>

Re: Missing javax.servlet:jstl:1.2

Mark Struberg
actually I think javax.jstl NEVER have been on maven.central.
It originally was hosted on java.net, but they killed parts of their maven repo while migrating from sun to oracle.

There is of course an ALv2 version of jstl:

http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/geronimo/bundles/jstl/1.2_1/

LieGrue,
strub

> On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 19:00, Paul Gier <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > It seems that the artifacts were moved to a different
> location:
> > https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/MVNCENTRAL-71
> >
> > On 06/20/2011 10:41 AM, Paul Gier wrote:
> > > The artifacts for javax.servlet:jstl:1.2 seem to
> have disappeared from
> > > central [1].  They still appear in the
> Sonatype search [2].  Does anyone
> > > know what happened to these
> files?   Were they removed because of a bad
> > > license or something?
> > >
> > > [1]http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/javax/servlet/jstl/
> > > [2]
> > http://search.maven.org/#search|gav|1|g%3A%22javax.servlet%22%20AND%20a%3A%22jstl%22<http://search.maven.org/#search%7Cgav%7C1%7Cg%3A%22javax.servlet%22%20AND%20a%3A%22jstl%22>

Re: Missing javax.servlet:jstl:1.2

Juven Xu-2
The old jstl 1.2 in central was wrong, so I deleted it and get help from
Oracle to deploy a correct version.

more info here: https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/MVNCENTRAL-71

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 1:42 AM, Mark Struberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> actually I think javax.jstl NEVER have been on maven.central.
> It originally was hosted on java.net, but they killed parts of their maven
> repo while migrating from sun to oracle.
>
> There is of course an ALv2 version of jstl:
>
> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/geronimo/bundles/jstl/1.2_1/
>
> LieGrue,
> strub

It was there before.  I still have the copy of the artifact and pom in
our Nexus proxy of central.  The change broke some of our builds, that's
how I found out about it.

On 06/20/2011 12:42 PM, Mark Struberg wrote:

> actually I think javax.jstl NEVER have been on maven.central.
> It originally was hosted on java.net, but they killed parts of their maven repo while migrating from sun to oracle.
>
> There is of course an ALv2 version of jstl:
>
> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/geronimo/bundles/jstl/1.2_1/
>
> LieGrue,
> strub

Yes, as I said, artifacts at central should never change as it will break
people's builds. I thought that was the policy.

/Anders

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 19:56, Paul Gier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It was there before.  I still have the copy of the artifact and pom in
> our Nexus proxy of central.  The change broke some of our builds, that's
> how I found out about it.
>
> On 06/20/2011 12:42 PM, Mark Struberg wrote:
> > actually I think javax.jstl NEVER have been on maven.central.
> > It originally was hosted on java.net, but they killed parts of their
> maven repo while migrating from sun to oracle.
> >
> > There is of course an ALv2 version of jstl:
> >
> > http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/geronimo/bundles/jstl/1.2_1/
> >
> > LieGrue,
> > strub

The way we've dealt with this type of thing in the JBoss repository is
we move it to a "deprecated" repository.  So if people need to keep
their builds working while migrating to the new GAV, they can add the
deprecated repo to a profile in their settings.  This process seems to
work ok for us.  Maybe we should have a similar setup with central?

On 06/22/2011 05:12 PM, Anders Hammar wrote:

> Yes, as I said, artifacts at central should never change as it will break
> people's builds. I thought that was the policy.
>
> /Anders
>
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 19:56, Paul Gier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> It was there before.  I still have the copy of the artifact and pom in
>> our Nexus proxy of central.  The change broke some of our builds, that's
>> how I found out about it.
>>
>> On 06/20/2011 12:42 PM, Mark Struberg wrote:
>>> actually I think javax.jstl NEVER have been on maven.central.
>>> It originally was hosted on java.net, but they killed parts of their
>> maven repo while migrating from sun to oracle.
>>>
>>> There is of course an ALv2 version of jstl:
>>>
>>> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/geronimo/bundles/jstl/1.2_1/
>>>
>>> LieGrue,
>>> strub

My position is that artifacts at central should never ever change. If
there's something wrong with one, a new version needs to be deployed.
A released artifact is immutable.

/Anders

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 16:11, Paul Gier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The way we've dealt with this type of thing in the JBoss repository is
> we move it to a "deprecated" repository.  So if people need to keep
> their builds working while migrating to the new GAV, they can add the
> deprecated repo to a profile in their settings.  This process seems to
> work ok for us.  Maybe we should have a similar setup with central?
>

> On 06/22/2011 05:12 PM, Anders Hammar wrote:
> > Yes, as I said, artifacts at central should never change as it will break
> > people's builds. I thought that was the policy.
> >
> > /Anders
> >
> > On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 19:56, Paul Gier <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> It was there before.  I still have the copy of the artifact and pom in
> >> our Nexus proxy of central.  The change broke some of our builds, that's
> >> how I found out about it.

> >> maven repo while migrating from sun to oracle.

jdcasey

On 6/23/11 10:17 AM, Anders Hammar wrote:
> My position is that artifacts at central should never ever change. If
> there's something wrong with one, a new version needs to be deployed.
> A released artifact is immutable.

There could always be exceptions to this, though, especially where
intellectual property claims are concerned.

I'm not sure what prompted the removal of jstl, and I tend to agree that
we need a _very_ good reason to remove this artifact from the central
repository. I'm only pointing out that there's simply no way to have
such an iron-clad policy as you describe.

> /Anders
>
> On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 16:11, Paul Gier<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> The way we've dealt with this type of thing in the JBoss repository is
>> we move it to a "deprecated" repository.  So if people need to keep
>> their builds working while migrating to the new GAV, they can add the
>> deprecated repo to a profile in their settings.  This process seems to
>> work ok for us.  Maybe we should have a similar setup with central?
>>

>> On 06/22/2011 05:12 PM, Anders Hammar wrote:
>>> Yes, as I said, artifacts at central should never change as it will break
>>> people's builds. I thought that was the policy.
>>>
>>> /Anders

John Casey
Developer, PMC Member - Apache Maven (http://maven.apache.org)
Blog: http://www.johnofalltrades.name/

Re: Missing javax.servlet:jstl:1.2

Jesse McConnell-2
could you put a redirect to the new artifact in?

--
jesse mcconnell
[hidden email]

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 09:26, John Casey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 6/23/11 10:17 AM, Anders Hammar wrote:
>>
>> My position is that artifacts at central should never ever change. If
>> there's something wrong with one, a new version needs to be deployed.
>> A released artifact is immutable.
>
> There could always be exceptions to this, though, especially where
> intellectual property claims are concerned.
>
> I'm not sure what prompted the removal of jstl, and I tend to agree that we
> need a _very_ good reason to remove this artifact from the central
> repository. I'm only pointing out that there's simply no way to have such an
> iron-clad policy as you describe.
>

>> /Anders
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 16:11, Paul Gier<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>>> The way we've dealt with this type of thing in the JBoss repository is
>>> we move it to a "deprecated" repository.  So if people need to keep
>>> their builds working while migrating to the new GAV, they can add the
>>> deprecated repo to a profile in their settings.  This process seems to
>>> work ok for us.  Maybe we should have a similar setup with central?

Brian Fox-2
I'll find out more about what happened here. In general things don't
get changed or removed once it hit's Central. There are sometimes
judgement calls that need to be made so it's not iron clad.

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 10:26 AM, John Casey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 6/23/11 10:17 AM, Anders Hammar wrote:
>>
>> My position is that artifacts at central should never ever change. If
>> there's something wrong with one, a new version needs to be deployed.
>> A released artifact is immutable.
>
> There could always be exceptions to this, though, especially where
> intellectual property claims are concerned.
>
> I'm not sure what prompted the removal of jstl, and I tend to agree that we
> need a _very_ good reason to remove this artifact from the central
> repository. I'm only pointing out that there's simply no way to have such an
> iron-clad policy as you describe.
>

>> /Anders
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 16:11, Paul Gier<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>>> The way we've dealt with this type of thing in the JBoss repository is
>>> we move it to a "deprecated" repository.  So if people need to keep
>>> their builds working while migrating to the new GAV, they can add the
>>> deprecated repo to a profile in their settings.  This process seems to
>>> work ok for us.  Maybe we should have a similar setup with central?

But of course. But if you read the jira ticket, you'll notice that the
reason for the change was that the old artifact was simply the wrong one.
But that does not validate removing it. It should have bean kept and the
correct one should have bean deployed with a patch version number (or
similar).

/Anders

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 16:26, John Casey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 6/23/11 10:17 AM, Anders Hammar wrote:
>
>> My position is that artifacts at central should never ever change. If
>> there's something wrong with one, a new version needs to be deployed.
>> A released artifact is immutable.
>>

> There could always be exceptions to this, though, especially where
> intellectual property claims are concerned.
>
> I'm not sure what prompted the removal of jstl, and I tend to agree that we
> need a _very_ good reason to remove this artifact from the central
> repository. I'm only pointing out that there's simply no way to have such an
> iron-clad policy as you describe.
>

>> /Anders
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 16:11, Paul Gier<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>>  The way we've dealt with this type of thing in the JBoss repository is
>>> we move it to a "deprecated" repository.  So if people need to keep
>>> their builds working while migrating to the new GAV, they can add the
>>> deprecated repo to a profile in their settings.  This process seems to
>>> work ok for us.  Maybe we should have a similar setup with central?

Aleksandar Kurtakov
On 07:56:25 PM Thursday, June 23, 2011 Anders Hammar wrote:
> But of course. But if you read the jira ticket, you'll notice that the
> reason for the change was that the old artifact was simply the wrong one.

Simply! So you're saying that keeping the wrong artifact is better than fixing
it with the proper one? I can't agree with this. So we should assume that
everyone should be informed that javax.servlet:jstl:1.2 is the wrong version.
This can not scale. Such problems should be properly fixed even if they break
few builds instead of making it hard for people doing development.

Alexander Kurtakov

> But that does not validate removing it. It should have bean kept and the
> correct one should have bean deployed with a patch version number (or
> similar).
>
> /Anders
>
> On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 16:26, John Casey <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 6/23/11 10:17 AM, Anders Hammar wrote:
> >> My position is that artifacts at central should never ever change. If
> >> there's something wrong with one, a new version needs to be deployed.
> >> A released artifact is immutable.
> >
> > There could always be exceptions to this, though, especially where
> > intellectual property claims are concerned.
> >
> > I'm not sure what prompted the removal of jstl, and I tend to agree that
> > we need a _very_ good reason to remove this artifact from the central
> > repository. I'm only pointing out that there's simply no way to have
> > such an iron-clad policy as you describe.
> >
> >> /Anders
> >>
> >> On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 16:11, Paul Gier<[hidden email]>  wrote:
> >>  The way we've dealt with this type of thing in the JBoss repository is

Why is this a better solution than putting in a relocation POM that
points to the corrected groupId:artifactId? Seems like you would never
ask for jstl 1.2 and be happy getting back jstl 1.1, so that's a problem
that needs a solution.

Perhaps the removal was only half of the solution, and what we really
need is a relocation POM pointing to the corrected coordinate.

On 6/23/11 12:41 PM, Anders Hammar wrote:

> But of course. But if you read the jira ticket, you'll notice that the
> reason for the change was that the old artifact was simply the wrong one.
> But that does not validate removing it. It should have bean kept and the
> correct one should have bean deployed with a patch version number (or
> similar).
>
> /Anders
>
> On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 16:26, John Casey<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>

>> On 6/23/11 10:17 AM, Anders Hammar wrote:
>>
>>> My position is that artifacts at central should never ever change. If
>>> there's something wrong with one, a new version needs to be deployed.
>>> A released artifact is immutable.
>>>

>> There could always be exceptions to this, though, especially where
>> intellectual property claims are concerned.
>>
>> I'm not sure what prompted the removal of jstl, and I tend to agree that we
>> need a _very_ good reason to remove this artifact from the central
>> repository. I'm only pointing out that there's simply no way to have such an
>> iron-clad policy as you describe.
>>

>>> /Anders
>>>
>>> On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 16:11, Paul Gier<[hidden email]>   wrote:
>>>
>>>   The way we've dealt with this type of thing in the JBoss repository is

I think it gets a bit more complicated. javax.jstl-1.2 was definitely available on the java.net m2 repo. Thus you had 2 artifacts with the same GAV but _different_ content. This has been a russian roulette so far depending if the java.net repo got sucked upfront or not.

We now track the origin, but what do we do if the md5 and sha1 from the one repo doesn't mach the one from another repo?

LieGrue,
strub

> [...]
> This could

> 19:00, Paul Gier<[hidden email]>

> that the artifacts were moved to a different

> javax.servlet:jstl:1.2 seem to

> They still appear in the

> [2].  Does anyone

> these
> >>>>>>>>>>

> files?   Were they removed because of a bad

> 22javax.servlet%22%20AND%20a%**3A%22jstl%22<http://search.maven.org/#search%7Cgav%7C1%7Cg%3A%22javax.servlet%22%20AND%20a%3A%22jstl%22>

> 22javax.servlet%22%20AND%20a%**3A%22jstl%22<http://search.maven.org/#search%7Cgav%7C1%7Cg%3A%22javax.servlet%22%20AND%20a%3A%22jstl%22>

> 22javax.servlet%22%20AND%20a%**3A%22jstl%22<http://search.maven.org/#search%7Cgav%7C1%7Cg%3A%22javax.servlet%22%20AND%20a%3A%22jstl%22>

> e-mail: [hidden email].**org<[hidden email]>
> commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

> e-mail: [hidden email].**org<[hidden email]>

I worry a lot about reproducibility and people's builds changing all of a
sudden. Changing a released artifact screws with people's builds.
A lot of Maven users use central with very little knowledge and they will
surely not understand what has happened. Also, the old artifact will stlll
stay in local repos which means that two people could get different output.
VERY bad!

A badly deployed artifact is too bad. Deploy a corrected one with a new
version and carry on. Or do we now say that releases with bugs could be
removed/replaced? (yes, I know I'm pushing it, but still...)

Just my position on the topic,
/Anders

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 19:04, John Casey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Why is this a better solution than putting in a relocation POM that points
> to the corrected groupId:artifactId? Seems like you would never ask for jstl
> 1.2 and be happy getting back jstl 1.1, so that's a problem that needs a
> solution.
>
> Perhaps the removal was only half of the solution, and what we really need
> is a relocation POM pointing to the corrected coordinate.
>

> On 6/23/11 12:41 PM, Anders Hammar wrote:
>
>> But of course. But if you read the jira ticket, you'll notice that the
>> reason for the change was that the old artifact was simply the wrong one.
>> But that does not validate removing it. It should have bean kept and the
>> correct one should have bean deployed with a patch version number (or
>> similar).
>>
>> /Anders
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 16:26, John Casey<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>

>>> On 6/23/11 10:17 AM, Anders Hammar wrote:
>>>
>>>  My position is that artifacts at central should never ever change. If
>>>>

>>> There could always be exceptions to this, though, especially where
>>> intellectual property claims are concerned.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure what prompted the removal of jstl, and I tend to agree that
>>> we
>>> need a _very_ good reason to remove this artifact from the central
>>> repository. I'm only pointing out that there's simply no way to have such
>>> an
>>> iron-clad policy as you describe.
>>>

>>>  /Anders

This problem resulted because java.net projects are being moved into
Central. There was a conflict between what they had and what's in
Central. The old artifact is being put back in place. People that want
to correct one will have to use the new gav.

The point about why this shouldn't be changed is that although someone
thinks they were using 1.2, they were in fact using 1.1 and apparently
happy doing so. Forcing them to suddenly have 1.2 would result in
breakage.