[Mavenbook.org] What content would you like to see?

[Mavenbook.org] What content would you like to see?

Vincent Massol
Hi there,

Tim O'Brien and I have started a web site called http://www.mavenbook.org.

One of its goal is to advertise the "Maven: A Developer's Notebook" that we
have written for O'Reilly. However the other goal is to publish other
information about Maven. ATM we have 3 types of information there:

- News about the book and more generally news about Maven appearances Tim
and I will be giving. We are happy to broaden this for any presentation that
anyone may give about Maven. But we'll need your help for this so that we
know when it happens.

- Tips and tricks about Maven. Tim and I are regularly publishing but again
if you have a good tip that you'd like to post, contact me and I'll give you
direct access to the wiki (yes, it's a wiki under the hood. Cool, no? ;-)).

- Announcements. Maven releases and Maven plugings announcements

I'm curious to know if you find those 3 categories interesting or not. For
example, I'm not sure the announcements category is useful. What do you
think?

Also are there are any other category of information you'd like to see
there. The idea is not to duplicate the resources that you see on the main
maven web site. It's more oriented towards news than towards information or
resources (this should be added on the main maven site).

Thanks a lot
-Vincent

RE: [Mavenbook.org] What content would you like to see?

David Jackman
I think a "Maven Cookbook" could be interesting and helpful.  It seems
there are often questions to the mailing list about "How do I build it
this way" for different configurations and desired outcomes.  A Maven
Cookbook would be a good way to talk about approaches to these different
situations with their respective advantages and disadvantages.  It shows
how to put everything together with multiple plugins, rather then just
focusing on a single task and plugin (which is what most of the online
docs do).

..David..

Re: [Mavenbook.org] What content would you like to see?

Nicolas Chalumeau
Hi Vincent

2005/6/7, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>:
> Hi there,
>
> Tim O'Brien and I have started a web site called http://www.mavenbook.org.

I just take a quick look, it seems (and is) a good idea.

> One of its goal is to advertise the "Maven: A Developer's Notebook" that we
> have written for O'Reilly. However the other goal is to publish other
> information about Maven. ATM we have 3 types of information there:
>
> - News about the book and more generally news about Maven appearances Tim
> and I will be giving. We are happy to broaden this for any presentation that
> anyone may give about Maven. But we'll need your help for this so that we
> know when it happens.
>
> - Tips and tricks about Maven. Tim and I are regularly publishing but again
> if you have a good tip that you'd like to post, contact me and I'll give you
> direct access to the wiki (yes, it's a wiki under the hood. Cool, no? ;-)).

A really good thing but there's must be a good categorisation of the
tips. ie common error, plugin dev tips.But i don't think that specific
plugin tips should be here. The better tips is where to find the good
information source

> - Announcements. Maven releases and Maven plugings announcements
>
> I'm curious to know if you find those 3 categories interesting or not. For
> example, I'm not sure the announcements category is useful. What do you
> think?

I have the same point of view as you. More the official maven site IS
the good place for annoucement. A web page that list the last
version/annoucement of the plugin could be a good thing in the maven
site for people that are not on the mailling list.

> Also are there are any other category of information you'd like to see
> there. The idea is not to duplicate the resources that you see on the main
> maven web site. It's more oriented towards news than towards information or
> resources (this should be added on the main maven site).

A big propaganda page and feed back from compagny/user Things like :
- how to make my development director choose to use maven.
- What maven change in my every day job?
- How to make my developer use maven when they say that there's IDE
compile there java code and they don't need more?
- Why maven make that I code better ?

I have some responce of this question that i have used but having some
other point of view could be a good and interresting thing to read.

If you have write this book like the JUnit one I now this kind of
information can be found in this one but having them online could be a
good thing for the communauty

Nicolas

> Thanks a lot
> -Vincent

RE: [Mavenbook.org] What content would you like to see?

Vincent Massol
Hi David,

When you say "Maven Cookbook" you don't mean another book, right? :-) You
mean some recipes. Actually we have tips and tricks which are small-scale
recipes. The reason we don't publish full fledged recipes yet is because
it's harder to do so and takes more time. But it's a very good idea.

If you have some good recipes, feel free to contact me and I'll give you
access to publish them if you want (or I can publish them for you also).

Thanks
-Vincent

I was going to say "Maven in Action", but that sounded even more like
another book :)
I think most of the ideas could come right off the mailing list.
There's plenty of discussion here around interesting configurations and
the best way to get everything working for them.  You might be able to
contact the person who sent the original message and find out if they
are working now and how they like the solution.

When you say "Maven Cookbook" you don't mean another book, right? :-)
You mean some recipes. Actually we have tips and tricks which are
small-scale recipes. The reason we don't publish full fledged recipes
yet is because it's harder to do so and takes more time. But it's a very
good idea.

If you have some good recipes, feel free to contact me and I'll give you
access to publish them if you want (or I can publish them for you also).

Thanks
-Vincent

Brett Porter
I'd like to see the title of the RSS feed set to something other than
"Personal Wiki" :)

http://mavenbook.xwiki.com/xwiki/bin/view/Main/BlogRss?xpage=rdf

I'll see if we can add it to mavenblogs.com.

Cheers,
Brett

On 6/8/05, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Tim O'Brien and I have started a web site called http://www.mavenbook.org.
>
> One of its goal is to advertise the "Maven: A Developer's Notebook" that we
> have written for O'Reilly. However the other goal is to publish other
> information about Maven. ATM we have 3 types of information there:
>
> - News about the book and more generally news about Maven appearances Tim
> and I will be giving. We are happy to broaden this for any presentation that
> anyone may give about Maven. But we'll need your help for this so that we
> know when it happens.
>
> - Tips and tricks about Maven. Tim and I are regularly publishing but again
> if you have a good tip that you'd like to post, contact me and I'll give you
> direct access to the wiki (yes, it's a wiki under the hood. Cool, no? ;-)).
>
> - Announcements. Maven releases and Maven plugings announcements
>
> I'm curious to know if you find those 3 categories interesting or not. For
> example, I'm not sure the announcements category is useful. What do you
> think?
>
> Also are there are any other category of information you'd like to see
> there. The idea is not to duplicate the resources that you see on the main
> maven web site. It's more oriented towards news than towards information or
> resources (this should be added on the main maven site).
>
> Thanks a lot
> -Vincent

RE: [Mavenbook.org] What content would you like to see?

Vincent Massol

Good catch! Fixed!

> I'll see if we can add it to mavenblogs.com.

[snip]

Thanks
-Vincent

RE: [Mavenbook.org] What content would you like to see?

Vincent Massol
Hi Nicolas,

That will come when we have lots of them. ATM we have published 4 tips only
and are adding one every week (roughly).

> But i don't think that specific
> plugin tips should be here. The better tips is where to find the good
> information source

I do agree that plugin tips should find their way in the plugin
documentation in the end. That said, it can be a 2 step process:
- tips can be given about using a special feature of a plugin
- the information can then be fed in the plugin's documentation

Also, I think that a plugin's tip is good as it'll serve as evangelizing a
specific feature of a plugin that might not have been found otherwise (there
are few people that spend all their time reading all the reference
documentation). So highlighting a special plugin feature is a good thing.

For example, I've just posted tip#4 about adding the download menu on the
generated web site
(http://mavenbook.xwiki.com/xwiki/bin/view/Main/Tip4DownloadMenu). I think
it's a useful tip even though it's a plugin tip.

> I have the same point of view as you. More the official maven site IS
> the good place for annoucement. A web page that list the last
> version/annoucement of the plugin could be a good thing in the maven
> site for people that are not on the mailling list.

I have proposed a solution in an email to the maven dev list yesterday
(title: " RE: latest plugin releases on the maven download page "). Here it
is:

"
I think we should do the following:

- Have a CI for the Maven plugins web site so that it is published every few
hours
- If the site build fails, an email is sent to the maven dev mailing list
with the error
- Make sure the multichanges plugin gets built as part of the plugins site
(I've checked and it is actually still there in the report list, so it's
just a matter or running the site build)
- Improve the multichanges plugin to add a RSS feed.
- Advertise it

This will allow people to get a fresh list of the latest version of plugins.
This will allow them to get RSS notifications as soon as a new plugin is
released (and I'll stop what I've started on mavenbook.org, i.e. announcing
plugin releases).

WDYT?
"

[snip]

> A big propaganda page and feed back from compagny/user Things like :
> - how to make my development director choose to use maven.
> - What maven change in my every day job?
> - How to make my developer use maven when they say that there's IDE
> compile there java code and they don't need more?
> - Why maven make that I code better ?
>
> I have some responce of this question that i have used but having some
> other point of view could be a good and interresting thing to read.

Sounds more like a wiki you're asking here, no? I guess this could be an
interesting thing to do on the Maven wiki.

The Mavenbook.org web site is more oriented towards news. For all content
and resources, I believe the main maven web site (or associated wiki) is a
better place.

> If you have write this book like the JUnit one I now this kind of
> information can be found in this one but having them online could be a
> good thing for the communauty

Some of it is there yes, but not that much. It's more a hands-on book (how
to do things rather than why to do them). This is the format of the O'Reilly
Developer Notebook series.

Thanks
-Vincent

Re: [Mavenbook.org] What content would you like to see?

Jim Mochel
I believe this is for documenting Maven 1.x , correct ?

If so, I would suggest some sort of documentation about the different
scopes and namespaces of ANT Properties, Maven Properties. the POM
attributes,  and the Jelly variables. A lot of trial and error and walking
through 100s of mailing list emails went into discovering what worked in
getting a POM variable into a property or a Jelly variable anbd determing
which are visible to whom.

I consider the
http://wiki.astrogrid.org/bin/view/Astrogrid/UsefulMavenNotes note to have
saved me HOURs of walking through plugin source to make things happen so
most of those tricks

I would actually hope that you would forsake documenting 1.x for maven
2.0. My reasons really boil down to Maven 1.x feels like a proof of
concept and Maven 2 has already (in its Alpha version) eliminated almost
all of the workarounds I had to implement to  make 1.x work on my
projects. Please take that has kudo's for 2.0 rather than slamming 1.0

Jim Mochel

"Vincent Massol" <[hidden email]>
06/07/2005 01:40 PM
Please respond to
"Maven Users List"

"'Maven Users List'" <[hidden email]>
cc

[...]

;-)).

- Announcements. Maven releases and Maven plugings announcements

I'm curious to know if you find those 3 categories interesting or not. For
example, I'm not sure the announcements category is useful. What do you
think?

Also are there are any other category of information you'd like to see
there. The idea is not to duplicate the resources that you see on the main
maven web site. It's more oriented towards news than towards information
or
resources (this should be added on the main maven site).

Thanks a lot
-Vincent

RE: [Mavenbook.org] What content would you like to see?

Vincent Massol
Hi Jim,

Yes, I believe this is what we are doing with our "Tips" news.

> I would actually hope that you would forsake documenting 1.x for maven
> 2.0. My reasons really boil down to Maven 1.x feels like a proof of
> concept and Maven 2 has already (in its Alpha version) eliminated almost
> all of the workarounds I had to implement to  make 1.x work on my
> projects. Please take that has kudo's for 2.0 rather than slamming 1.0

Sure but Maven 2.0 is far from being ready to be used on a production
project while Maven 1.x is and is being used by thousands of people. They do
not have the same maturity.

But to reassure you the goal is not to be Maven 1.x centric. It just happens
that Tim and I have 4 years of experience of using Maven 1.x and thus our
tips come from that experience. As we progress in our learning of Maven 2.x,
we'll add tips about Maven 2 too.

I encourage you to help us out and add you m2 tips too! The more the funnier
:-)

[snip]

Thanks for the feedback
-Vincent

RE: [Mavenbook.org] What content would you like to see?

dhartford-2
Maybe some good 'how to use Maven to enable common development
practices' section:

*Why use CI?
*How to use CI in Maven:
--with CruiseControl
--with Anthill
--with XXXX

*Why use SCM?
*How to use SCM in Maven:
--with CVS
--with subversion
--with XXXXX

*Why use Unit Testing?
*How to use unit testing in Maven:
--with Junit
--with Cactus

*Why use Code Coverage?
*How to use code coverage in Maven:
--with Clover
--with Jcoverage
--with Emma

*When, Why, and How to use multiproject/reactor/etc?

And so on and so forth. Maybe this book should offer a pre-built
ready-to-roll project that uses different enablers to do the same thing,
ala: cruisecontrol-cvs-junit-clover suite and an
anthill-subversion-junit-emma suite.

One of the difficult things is that Maven is *so* powerful and flexible,
sometimes get lost on how to get the pieces to work together.

Couple of quick coppers,
-D

Re: [Mavenbook.org] What content would you like to see?

Graham King

Vincent Massol wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Tim O'Brien and I have started a web site called http://www.mavenbook.org.

  I don't know if the book will already include this, but I'd love to
see more Enterprise (big E!) maven tips / recipes / best practices.
  For example how do you setup your project when you need to be able to
deploy to a development site, a QA / testing site, and several live
sites. Should it be 3 projects ? Should you have some maven.xml
scripting to source the right properties and do site specific work ? Etc.

  Looking forward to the book.

  Graham.

RE: [Mavenbook.org] What content would you like to see?

Vincent Massol
Hi Darren,

Shouldn't all these questions rather be added to the maven.apache.org's web
site FAQ?

> And so on and so forth. Maybe this book should offer a pre-built
> ready-to-roll project that uses different enablers to do the same thing,
> ala: cruisecontrol-cvs-junit-clover suite and an
> anthill-subversion-junit-emma suite.

I guess I wasn't clear. The book is already written (it was finished in
April 2005). It's currently being printed and will be available in book
shops around the 20th of June.

You can browse the TOC here:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/mavenadn/index.html

The book covers continuous integration with Maven by demonstrating it with
CruiseControl. We use Subversion for our examples. The book's source code is
freely available under an Apache license at
http://mavenbook.xwiki.com/xwiki/bin/view/Main/Source

> One of the difficult things is that Maven is *so* powerful and flexible,
> sometimes get lost on how to get the pieces to work together.

I agree. I hope the book will be useful in that regards.

Thanks
-Vincent

RE: [Mavenbook.org] What content would you like to see?

Vincent Massol
Hi Graham,

You'll certainly see some enterprise maven tips/recipes in the book.
Unfortunately the Developer Notebook format is meant to be small and to the
point and we had to skip some of the content we would have liked to see in a
bigger book.

The build-by-environment strategy is something I have been working on for a
long time with Maven (since 2002 to be precise) and I have done several
presentations on the solution I am using (one project but source the right
properties/config files).

I guess you're right and that's something I could add as a tip on the
mavenbook.org site. Thanks for the idea.

>   Looking forward to the book.

Thanks!
-Vincent

Re: [Mavenbook.org] What content would you like to see?

Manos Batsis
On Thursday 09 June 2005 12:11, Graham King wrote:
>   I don't know if the book will already include this, but I'd love to
> see more Enterprise (big E!) maven tips / recipes / best practices.

... and a template J2EE project. I know there's no template project for
everyone's needs, but a sample EAR project that demonstates the use of
everything J2EE (for starters multiproject and (x|ejb|web|hibernate}doclet)
would save hours of time to many newcomers like me. The same template project
could be updated by the community to cover, well, everything related to a
J2EE project.

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Manos

RE: [Mavenbook.org] What content would you like to see?

Vincent Massol
Hi Emmanouil,

Isn't that something that the genapp plugin should provide?

There are already ejb, struts, web, etc templates in the genapp plugin. More
can be added.