Maven site filter properties with a period

Maven site filter properties with a period

Alex O'Ree
I have some pom defined properties that I'm trying to inject into a maven
site markdown file. The file is named "test.md.vm" and it's referenced in
the site descriptor.

 <properties>
>         <testProject.property>This property is used to test PDF .vm
> project injection. If you can read this in the PDF output, it's
> working.</testProject.property>
>         <testProjectProperty>This property is used to test PDF .vm project
> injection. If you can read this in the PDF output, it's
> working.</testProjectProperty>
>     </properties>

And in the test markdown file has this

### User defined properties in the parent pom
> testProject.property = ${testProject.property}
> testProjectProperty = ${testProjectProperty}

I've noticed that pom defined properties containing a period do not resolve
for some reason. Properties without the dot work just fine.

Output:

testProject.property = ${testProject.property}
> testProjectProperty = This property is used to test PDF .vm project
> injection. If you can read this in the PDF output, it’s working.

Am I missing something or this is a plexus configuration injection related
thing? This also affects the pdf plugin too

Re: Maven site filter properties with a period

Chas Honton

Re: Maven site filter properties with a period

there is some doc about this:
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-site-plugin/examples/creating-content.html#Filtering

Le lundi 16 octobre 2017, 20:22:04 CEST Alex O'Ree a écrit :

> I have some pom defined properties that I'm trying to inject into a maven
> site markdown file. The file is named "test.md.vm" and it's referenced in
> the site descriptor.
>
>  <properties>
>
> >         <testProject.property>This property is used to test PDF .vm
> >
> > project injection. If you can read this in the PDF output, it's
> > working.</testProject.property>
> >
> >         <testProjectProperty>This property is used to test PDF .vm project
> >
> > injection. If you can read this in the PDF output, it's
> > working.</testProjectProperty>
> >
> >     </properties>
>
> And in the test markdown file has this
>
> ### User defined properties in the parent pom
>
> > testProject.property = ${testProject.property}
> > testProjectProperty = ${testProjectProperty}
>
> I've noticed that pom defined properties containing a period do not resolve
> for some reason. Properties without the dot work just fine.
>

> Output:
>
> testProject.property = ${testProject.property}
>
> > testProjectProperty = This property is used to test PDF .vm project
> > injection. If you can read this in the PDF output, it’s working.
>
> Am I missing something or this is a plexus configuration injection related
> thing? This also affects the pdf plugin too

Re: Maven site filter properties with a period

Alex O'Ree-2
Thanks, that confirms it. Now i can find out this why is failing, i'm be set

https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/MSITE/issues/MSITE-799

On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 1:34 PM, Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> there is some doc about this:
> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-site-plugin/
> examples/creating-content.html#Filtering
>
> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>
> Le lundi 16 octobre 2017, 20:22:04 CEST Alex O'Ree a écrit :
> > I have some pom defined properties that I'm trying to inject into a maven
> > site markdown file. The file is named "test.md.vm" and it's referenced in
> > the site descriptor.
> >
> >  <properties>
> >
> > >         <testProject.property>This property is used to test PDF .vm
> > >
> > > project injection. If you can read this in the PDF output, it's
> > > working.</testProject.property>
> > >
> > >         <testProjectProperty>This property is used to test PDF .vm
> project
> > >
> > > injection. If you can read this in the PDF output, it's
> > > working.</testProjectProperty>
> > >
> > >     </properties>
> >
> > And in the test markdown file has this
> >
> > ### User defined properties in the parent pom
> >
> > > testProject.property = ${testProject.property}
> > > testProjectProperty = ${testProjectProperty}
> >
> > I've noticed that pom defined properties containing a period do not
> resolve
> > for some reason. Properties without the dot work just fine.
> >

> > Output:
> >
> > testProject.property = ${testProject.property}
> >
> > > testProjectProperty = This property is used to test PDF .vm project
> > > injection. If you can read this in the PDF output, it’s working.
> >
> > Am I missing something or this is a plexus configuration injection
> related
> > thing? This also affects the pdf plugin too

Re: Maven site filter properties with a period

Hervé BOUTEMY
on MSITE-799, I explained the common mistake

please review and help me improve the documentation, since you're not the first
hit by Velocity vs Markdown conflict on ##

http://maven.apache.org/plugins-archives/maven-site-plugin-LATEST/examples/
creating-content.html#Filtering

I'll probably do a new maven-site-plugin release in a few weeks: this lets us
time to improve the explanations before they appear on the current
documentation

Le vendredi 20 octobre 2017, 18:28:33 CEST Alex O'Ree a écrit :

> Thanks, that confirms it. Now i can find out this why is failing, i'm be set
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/MSITE/issues/MSITE-799
>
> On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 1:34 PM, Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]>
>
> wrote:
> > there is some doc about this:
> > http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-site-plugin/
> > examples/creating-content.html#Filtering
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Hervé
> >
> > Le lundi 16 octobre 2017, 20:22:04 CEST Alex O'Ree a écrit :
> > > I have some pom defined properties that I'm trying to inject into a
> > > maven
> > > site markdown file. The file is named "test.md.vm" and it's referenced
> > > in
> > > the site descriptor.
> > >
> > >  <properties>

> > project

> > > And in the test markdown file has this
> > >
> > > ### User defined properties in the parent pom

> > > I've noticed that pom defined properties containing a period do not
> >
> > resolve
> >
> > > for some reason. Properties without the dot work just fine.
> > >

> > > Output:
> > >
> > > testProject.property = ${testProject.property}

> > > Am I missing something or this is a plexus configuration injection
> >
> > related
> >
> > > thing? This also affects the pdf plugin too

Re: Maven site filter properties with a period

Alex O'Ree-2
Excellent, thanks Hervé

On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 10:33 PM, Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> on MSITE-799, I explained the common mistake
>
> please review and help me improve the documentation, since you're not the
> first
> hit by Velocity vs Markdown conflict on ##
>
> http://maven.apache.org/plugins-archives/maven-site-
> plugin-LATEST/examples/
> creating-content.html#Filtering
>
> I'll probably do a new maven-site-plugin release in a few weeks: this lets
> us
> time to improve the explanations before they appear on the current
> documentation
>
> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>
> Le vendredi 20 octobre 2017, 18:28:33 CEST Alex O'Ree a écrit :
> > Thanks, that confirms it. Now i can find out this why is failing, i'm be
> set
> >
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/MSITE/issues/MSITE-799
> >
> > On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 1:34 PM, Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]>
> >
> > wrote:
> > > there is some doc about this:
> > > http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-site-plugin/
> > > examples/creating-content.html#Filtering
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Hervé

> referenced

> > > project

> > > resolve

> > > related

Re: Maven site filter properties with a period

Alex O'Ree-2
I would say it's fine as is, but one possible suggestion would be add a h4
under the "Filtering" section labeled "Common Problems". Under that you can
put the parts related to properties with dots and the ## markdown issue

On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 10:50 PM, Alex O'Ree <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Excellent, thanks Hervé
>
> On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 10:33 PM, Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> on MSITE-799, I explained the common mistake
>>
>> please review and help me improve the documentation, since you're not the
>> first
>> hit by Velocity vs Markdown conflict on ##
>>
>> http://maven.apache.org/plugins-archives/maven-site-plugin-
>> LATEST/examples/
>> creating-content.html#Filtering
>> <http://maven.apache.org/plugins-archives/maven-site-plugin-LATEST/examples/creating-content.html#Filtering>
>>
>> I'll probably do a new maven-site-plugin release in a few weeks: this
>> lets us
>> time to improve the explanations before they appear on the current
>> documentation
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Hervé
>>
>> Le vendredi 20 octobre 2017, 18:28:33 CEST Alex O'Ree a écrit :
>> > Thanks, that confirms it. Now i can find out this why is failing, i'm
>> be set
>> >
>> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/MSITE/issues/MSITE-799

>> referenced

>> .vm

>> project

Re: Maven site filter properties with a period

Hervé BOUTEMY
good idea: done

thank you