Maven site edit next steps

I just upgraded the site to maven-site-plugin 3.7 + Fluido 1.7 and configured
edit url. Now, we have the edit button on each editable page
  http://maven.apache.org/

Currently, it point to the SCM url from pom, ie. site's Subversion Viewvc: we
can point to the GitHub mirror if we think it will be more appealing. Just
tell, it's easy to change.

Next steps will be:

- Apache parent pom release: please review what updates you want to merge
before the release

- Maven parent pom release: same

- notice for parent poms: with Subversion, we had a cool feature which was the
pom.xml diff from version to version published in the documentation page [1].
Does somebody have an idea on how we could do something equivalent with git?

- I want to have a maven-plugin-plugin release before Maven parent pom,
because we have many good improvements to release and use

- this WE, I'll see with INFRA how to have a Jenkins job to build and publish
the site (via svnpubsub area [2])

- I know I'll have to add symlinks support to maven-scm-publish-plugin for
this to work on the full site content, see MSCMPUB-35 [3]

- then we can plan to migrate site source to Git: imagine commit to Git (from
Git on your IDE or GitHub website) then immediate build and publish by Jenkins
(with our GitBox-Jenkins great integration)...

Anything else to add or change to the plan?
Ready to help?

[1] http://maven.apache.org/pom/asf/

[2] https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/production/maven/content/

[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MSCMPUB-35

Re: Maven site edit next steps

Hervé BOUTEMY
thank you Plamen: useful answer, as usual

I like both GitWeb and GitHub displays: both are useful, but for different
purpose

I tried to integrate both [1], with GitWeb as "diff" and GitHub as "commits".
But the GitHub comparison does not work well: then I put it only on HEAD.

I don't know if this is due to my recent rework of tags for the repo, but
GitHub does not recognise any tag on this maven-apache-parent repo. Perhaps
there is a cache that will be reworked in a few days, since the rework
happened also for maven-acr-plugin and the link works

Any idea?

[1] http://maven.apache.org/pom-archives/asf-LATEST/

Le dimanche 7 janvier 2018, 20:45:28 CET Plamen Totev a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 9:33 AM, Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > - notice for parent poms: with Subversion, we had a cool feature which was
> > the pom.xml diff from version to version published in the documentation
> > page [1]. Does somebody have an idea on how we could do something
> > equivalent with git?
> Here are example links for Git Web (the software used by gitbox.apache.org):
>
> * To view maven-acr-plugin project's pom.xml file at specific tag
> (maven-acr-plugin-1.1) -
> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven-acr-plugin.git;a=blob;f=pom.xml;
> hb=maven-acr-plugin-1.1 * To view the difference for pom.xml file between
> maven-acr-plugin-1.1 and maven-acr-plugin-1.0 -
> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven-acr-plugin.git;a=blobdiff;f=pom.
> xml;hb=maven-acr-plugin-1.1;hpb=maven-acr-plugin-1.0
>
> For GitHub the links are:
>
> *
> https://github.com/apache/maven-acr-plugin/blob/maven-acr-plugin-1.1/pom.xm
> l *
> https://github.com/apache/maven-acr-plugin/compare/maven-acr-plugin-1.0...m
> aven-acr-plugin-1.1 - but this shows all changes. I'm not sure how to limit
> it to specific file.
>

> Regards,
> Plamen Totev

Re: Maven site edit next steps

Plamen Totev-2
Hi,

On 1/9/2018 3:25 AM, Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:

> I tried to integrate both [1], with GitWeb as "diff" and GitHub as "commits".
> But the GitHub comparison does not work well: then I put it only on HEAD.
>
> I don't know if this is due to my recent rework of tags for the repo, but
> GitHub does not recognise any tag on this maven-apache-parent repo. Perhaps
> there is a cache that will be reworked in a few days, since the rework
> happened also for maven-acr-plugin and the link works
>
> Any idea?

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a cache - the tags are not
supposed to change under normal circumstances. Anyway now everything
seems to work. Here are some examples:

* The commits between the latest release and HEAD (I believe
asf-LATEST points to wrong URL - HEAD...apache-18 instead of
apache-18...HEAD):
https://github.com/apache/maven-apache-parent/compare/apache-18...HEAD
* The commits between apache-18 and apache-17:
https://github.com/apache/maven-apache-parent/compare/apache-17...apache-18

I guess the tags are now updated so it should work for you as well.

Regards,
Plamen Totev

p.s. Hervé, excuse me for the spam. The first message was intended for
the group. I'm using a new mail client and I've just noticed that when
I hit reply the "To" field is set to the sender not the group. I hope
I'll get used to it quickly - don't want to spam you anymore :)