Maven resolver branch consolidation

Manfred Moser-4
Hi all,

I have started and made good progress on getting Maven resolver all into the master branch instead of having master, demos and ant-tasks in separate branches.

Details are tracked in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MRESOLVER-28

All of it is now in a new branch called master-all for you to see.

I am now wondering what the next steps are. I added what I think should happen next in the issue in a comment and would appreciate any input on the current setup and next steps.

Any help would be appreciated.

manfred

Re: Maven resolver branch consolidation

Hervé BOUTEMY
it seems I have not been clear: I'll try to explain better

1. maven-resolver-ant-tasks depends on maven-resolver-provider (from Maven
core)
2. maven-resolver-provider (then Maven core) depends on maven-resolver

if we put maven-resolver-ant-tasks in the same reactor than maven-resolver, we
can't release any maven-resolver API change that breaks maven-resolver-
provider

example: if we move maven-resolver code to org.apache.maven java package in
maven-resolver 2.0.0-SNAPSHOT, we need maven-resolver-provider 4.0.0-SNAPSHOT
that uses maven-resolver 2.0.0-SNAPSHOT with this new java package. Then try
to release anything: you can't, unless you don't try to release maven-
resolver-ant-tasks

(the consequence on version consistency is another way to describe the issue,
but that is more subtle, then I chose to describe the most visible issue, with
API breaking change)

IMHO, another consequence could be: maven-resolver-ant-tasks would perhaps
better be versionned like maven-resolver-provider

Merging resolver-demos is really the great big idea: with that merge,
modifying maven-rresolver can immediately be tested with demos: that'll be so
much easier to make changes to maven-resolver code!

Le mercredi 15 novembre 2017, 09:02:12 CET Michael Osipov a écrit :

> Why -1 on the Ant tasks?
>
> Am 2017-11-15 um 00:50 schrieb Hervé BOUTEMY:
> > I answered on the mailing list and on the 2 Jira issues
> > In summary, +1 to merge demos, -1 to merge ant-tasks
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Hervé
> >
> > Le mardi 14 novembre 2017, 18:19:40 CET Manfred Moser a écrit :
> >> Any feedback or should I just go ahead with the cleanup?
> >>
> >> Manfred

Re: Maven resolver branch consolidation

let's start with demos: this one is really a great idea

on ant-tasks, I hope my new explanations make the issue more clear

Le mercredi 15 novembre 2017, 18:39:06 CET Manfred Moser a écrit :

> Sorry herve. For some reason I totally missed those. I commented on the
> issues.
>
> In summary I would like to get the ant-tasks merged as well since that makes
> a lot more sense to me than keeping it separate.
>
> Manfred
>
> Hervé BOUTEMY wrote on 2017-11-14 15:50:
> > I answered on the mailing list and on the 2 Jira issues
> > In summary, +1 to merge demos, -1 to merge ant-tasks
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Hervé
> >
> > Le mardi 14 novembre 2017, 18:19:40 CET Manfred Moser a écrit :
> >> Any feedback or should I just go ahead with the cleanup?
> >>
> >> Manfred

Re: Maven resolver branch consolidation

attachment removed by mailing list

I put it in
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/POM+Model+Version+5.0.0?
focusedCommentId=74687410&refresh=1510912447661#comment-74687410

Re: Maven resolver branch consolidation

this won't work: you'll be able to fool the compiler, but not maven-shade-
plugin when it builds the full jar with runtime dependencies

Le vendredi 17 novembre 2017, 12:10:49 CET Robert Scholte a écrit :

> "We can solve any problem by introducing an extra level of indirection."
> [1]
>
> Looking at this new image[1] it is weird to me that ant-tasks has a direct
> dependency on maven-resolver-provider. I would have expected some provider
> abstraction where you can choose to use the maven-resolver-provider.
>
> Merging it into one project is an interesting option, but I think the
> maven-artifact-resolver is isolated enough to deserve its own project.
>
> thanks,
> Robert
>
> [1]
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamental_theorem_of_software_engineering
> [2]
> https://git1-us-west.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven-resolver.git;a=blob_plain;
> f=src/site/resources/images/maven-resolver-deps.png;hb=f5439fde
>
> On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 18:13:15 +0100, Manfred Moser
>
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Thanks for the explanation and details Herve. Seems to be that to do
> > this cleanly we have to break the circle. From my limited knowledge
> > there are two ways to do that.
> >
> > 1. As stephen suggested.. get the resolver into maven core tree. That
> > makes core bigger again and ties the two projects into one release
> > cycle. Feasible but I am not a fan.
> >
> > 2. I am not sure if possible but .. could we get the maven resolver
> > provider out of maven core and into the resolver project and have it all
> > together in there?
> >
> > In either case .. both of those seem rather large tasks so I will
> > definitely go ahead with demo branch merge first. I just have to redo
> > the work I did without the ant tasks in the tree. Stay tuned on that..
> >
> > Manfred
> >
> > Hervé BOUTEMY wrote on 2017-11-16 05:49:
> >> feasible, but I really don't like it: separation is good.
> >>
> >> seriously, just merge demos and let ant-tasks separate, and we have a
> >> pretty
> >> good compromise on every aspect
> >> (or even drop ant tasks if really this is causing us too much
> >> headache...)
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Hervé

Re: Maven resolver branch consolidation

michaelo
Am 2017-11-15 um 23:05 schrieb Hervé BOUTEMY:
> it seems I have not been clear: I'll try to explain better
>
> 1. maven-resolver-ant-tasks depends on maven-resolver-provider (from Maven
> core)
> 2. maven-resolver-provider (then Maven core) depends on maven-resolver
>
> if we put maven-resolver-ant-tasks in the same reactor than maven-resolver, we
> can't release any maven-resolver API change that breaks maven-resolver-

Very good, leave it out. Move it to a separate repo.