Maven relase:perform

jbodduna
I am trying to run mvn release:perform. By default maven is looking at the current directory as the working directory and the relase fails. My maven consists of multiple modules. Is there a way I can tell maven release plugin to tell where the working directory is?

I tried the following configuration in the parent POM file, but maven is still looking at the current directory.
Maven version: 2.0.7
Java version: 1.4.2_09

                       <plugin>
                <artifactId>maven-release-plugin</artifactId>
                <configuration>
                        <workingDirectory>src/checkout</workingDirectory>
                </configuration>
      </plugin>