Maven intern projects

Elliotte Rusty Harold
Due to external developments, I am suddenly able to recruit, fund, and
manage as many as five interns, probably undergraduates, to work on
open source projects such as Maven and its plugins for 12 weeks this
summer.

My management chain has a particular interest in reproducible builds,
so if there's work to be done on that, it would be a really easy sell.
However I can probably get approval for any useful project that can
plausibly be accomplished by a junior/senior CS major in 12 weeks. We
do like these to be feature projects, not simply refactoring or
maintenance.

If anyone has a good idea, or would simply like to point me to
particular issues in Jira that sound like good projects, let me know
and I can start the bureaucratic wheels turning on my end. As long as
the feature being proposed already has general agreement that it's a
good idea, I'll be able to do pretty much all the legwork for managing
the project(s). It shouldn't require any noticeable time from other
maintainers.

Let me know if you have any ideas.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold

Re: Maven intern projects

Tomo Suzuki
My wishlist: Maven Central web (https://search.maven.org/) to show the
health of artifacts. For example, the health includes how much their
dependencies are up-to-date, presence of license element in pom.xml, and so
on.

I recently found pub.dev (Dart/Flutter repo system) has such tab for every
package: Example https://pub.dev/packages/tuple#-analysis-tab-

The health page encourages library maintainers to update their libraries in
a timely and recommended manner.

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 10:13 AM Elliotte Rusty Harold <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Due to external developments, I am suddenly able to recruit, fund, and
> manage as many as five interns, probably undergraduates, to work on
> open source projects such as Maven and its plugins for 12 weeks this
> summer.
>
> My management chain has a particular interest in reproducible builds,
> so if there's work to be done on that, it would be a really easy sell.
> However I can probably get approval for any useful project that can
> plausibly be accomplished by a junior/senior CS major in 12 weeks. We
> do like these to be feature projects, not simply refactoring or
> maintenance.
>
> If anyone has a good idea, or would simply like to point me to
> particular issues in Jira that sound like good projects, let me know
> and I can start the bureaucratic wheels turning on my end. As long as
> the feature being proposed already has general agreement that it's a
> good idea, I'll be able to do pretty much all the legwork for managing
> the project(s). It shouldn't require any noticeable time from other
> maintainers.
>
> Let me know if you have any ideas.
>
> --
> Elliotte Rusty Harold