Maven Mapping Shared Component

by taking a look into using maven-mapping for some file name mappings
(using in Maven EAR Plugin) I have stumbled over a thing which I don't
understand at the momemt.

Within the maven-mapping shared component the default mappings looks
like this:

@{artifactId}@-@{baseVersion}@.@{extension}@

Where I'm unsure is the "baseVersion"? The question is: Why does it not
use  "version" instead ? I've seen things like version is:
"1.0.0-SNAPSHOT" where baseVersion is: "1.0.0-TIMESTAMP".. ? (Maven EAR
Plugin)..

In contradiction the documentation[1] says different means using
"version" instead of "baseVersion"...

So is this a bug or is this a misunderstanding on my site?

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

[1]: http://maven.apache.org/shared/maven-mapping/apidocs/index.html