Maven-Indexer 6.0 Release

Janarthanan Mohan
Hi,

Any idea when Maven Indexer 6.0 will be released. Right now I see only
the snapshot version here: https://github.com/apache/maven-indexer
Maven Indexer 6.0 has some nice features like support to Spring F/W (for
dep injection) and later Lucene. And It has been almost 3 years since
the last release version 5.1.1. Can the experts give some idea on this
or help release the 6.0 version.

Thanks,
Jana

Re: Maven-Indexer 6.0 Release

Tamás Cservenák
Hi there,

cutting the release should be fairly simple, but unsure where it was left
off, there are still some issues open:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MINDEXER/fixforversion/12330802/?selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin:version-summary-panel

Perso, I am a bit squeezed with time, will try to push some changes more,
but I wanted to have 6.0 be free of all the burden from past, sadly MI is
still not there...

Any help appreciated!

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 11:53 PM Janarthanan Mohan <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Any idea when Maven Indexer 6.0 will be released. Right now I see only
> the snapshot version here: https://github.com/apache/maven-indexer
> Maven Indexer 6.0 has some nice features like support to Spring F/W (for
> dep injection) and later Lucene. And It has been almost 3 years since
> the last release version 5.1.1. Can the experts give some idea on this
> or help release the 6.0 version.
>
> Thanks,
> Jana

Re: Maven-Indexer 6.0 Release

Janarthanan Mohan
Hi Tamás,

Thanks for the response.

I see there are 3 issues mentioned as still pending for 6.0 RELEASE from the link given by you.

MINDEXER-24: Seems to be resolved. We can see the maven-indexer site available here: http://maven.apache.org/maven-indexer

MINDEXER-39: Looks like this has been fixed already (its actually subtask of MINDEXER-80). And I see that latest code of MI is already de-plexusized

MINDEXER-80: From the comments, seems that only couple of things pending here are:

    Polish the dependencies in the pom files.
    Use guava instead of plexus-utils.

But looking at commit history shows that these are actually fixed and merged to master. Do we have any pending thing for this issue. If those are minor, can we cut off a release branch and fix the minor issues in next minor release (6.1 or something) rather than depriving users of some nice features you and other have merged in the last couple of years.

Thanks,
Jana

Re: Maven-Indexer 6.0 Release

carlspring
Hi,

I was working on a few of the issues for the 6.0-SNAPSHOT together with
Tamas.

There's still a few things to clean up before it would make sense to make a
new release.
- There's a lot of references to Nexus*. I was working on making this more
generic, so that there is no classes that have that.
- There was still some Plexus stuff to clean up. I believe that was related
to the index downloading.
- Guava instead of Plexus utils needed some more work, if I recall
correctly.
- Some of the dependencies need to be updated....

There's still things to be done. If somebody would like to join in, we
could finish this up quicker.

Kind regards,

Martin

On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 7:40 AM, Janarthanan Mohan <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Tamás,
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
> I see there are 3 issues mentioned as still pending for 6.0 RELEASE from
> the
> link given by you.
>
> MINDEXER-24: Seems to be resolved. We can see the maven-indexer site
> available here: http://maven.apache.org/maven-indexer
>
> MINDEXER-39: Looks like this has been fixed already (its actually subtask
> of
> MINDEXER-80). And I see that latest code of MI is already de-plexusized
>
> MINDEXER-80: From the comments, seems that only couple of things pending
> here are:
>
>     Polish the dependencies in the pom files.
>     Use guava instead of plexus-utils.
>
> But looking at commit history shows that these are actually fixed and
> merged
> to master. Do we have any pending thing for this issue. If those are minor,
> can we cut off a release branch and fix the minor issues in next minor
> release (6.1 or something) rather than depriving users of some nice
> features
> you and other have merged in the last couple of years.
>
> Thanks,
> Jana

RE: Maven-Indexer 6.0 Release

skygo
Hi,

    I am "ressurecting" an old topic. I wonder if it is possible to have some news for 6.0 release of maven indexer.

    The old version of maven indexer make a plugin fail at runtime with maven 3.1.1+  (see [2]). And works well with 6.0.

 Kind Regards

Eric

[1] https://github.com/mojohaus/nb-repository-plugin
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MINDEXER-106
I was working on a few of the issues for the 6.0-SNAPSHOT together with Tamas.

There's still a few things to clean up before it would make sense to make a new release.
- There's a lot of references to Nexus*. I was working on making this more generic, so that there is no classes that have that.
- There was still some Plexus stuff to clean up. I believe that was related to the index downloading.
- Guava instead of Plexus utils needed some more work, if I recall correctly.
- Some of the dependencies need to be updated....

There's still things to be done. If somebody would like to join in, we could finish this up quicker.

Kind regards,

Martin

On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 7:40 AM, Janarthanan Mohan < [hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Tamás,
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
> I see there are 3 issues mentioned as still pending for 6.0 RELEASE
> from the link given by you.
>
> MINDEXER-24: Seems to be resolved. We can see the maven-indexer site
> available here: http://maven.apache.org/maven-indexer
>
> MINDEXER-39: Looks like this has been fixed already (its actually
> subtask of MINDEXER-80). And I see that latest code of MI is already
> de-plexusized
>
> MINDEXER-80: From the comments, seems that only couple of things
> pending here are:
>
>     Polish the dependencies in the pom files.
>     Use guava instead of plexus-utils.
>
> But looking at commit history shows that these are actually fixed and
> merged to master. Do we have any pending thing for this issue. If
> those are minor, can we cut off a release branch and fix the minor
> issues in next minor release (6.1 or something) rather than depriving
> users of some nice features you and other have merged in the last
> couple of years.
>
> Thanks,
> Jana

Re: Maven-Indexer 6.0 Release

Andreas Sewe-2
Hi,

>     I am "ressurecting" an old topic. I wonder if it is possible to have some news for 6.0 release of maven indexer.
>
>     The old version of maven indexer make a plugin fail at runtime with maven 3.1.1+  (see [2]). And works well with 6.0.

FWIW, I'm also quite keen on proper release of 6.0 (currently working
with a locally-built 6.0 snapshot).

Best wishes,

Andreas

Re: Maven-Indexer 6.0 Release

Tamás Cservenák
Hi there,

I think with this PR 6.0 should be ready to go:
https://github.com/apache/maven-indexer/pull/21

Then, we can "jump" to 7 :)
- make it java8
- consume the lucene update PR
https://github.com/apache/maven-indexer/pull/19

WDYT?

On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 3:13 PM Andreas Sewe <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> >     I am "ressurecting" an old topic. I wonder if it is possible to have
> some news for 6.0 release of maven indexer.
> >
> >     The old version of maven indexer make a plugin fail at runtime with
> maven 3.1.1+  (see [2]). And works well with 6.0.
>
> FWIW, I'm also quite keen on proper release of 6.0 (currently working
> with a locally-built 6.0 snapshot).
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Andreas

~t~

RE: Maven-Indexer 6.0 Release

skygo
Hi,
 Sounds like a plan for me.

I think with this PR 6.0 should be ready to go:
https://github.com/apache/maven-indexer/pull/21

Then, we can "jump" to 7 :)
- make it java8
- consume the lucene update PR
https://github.com/apache/maven-indexer/pull/19

WDYT?

On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 3:13 PM Andreas Sewe < [hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> >     I am "ressurecting" an old topic. I wonder if it is possible to
> > have
> some news for 6.0 release of maven indexer.
> >
> >     The old version of maven indexer make a plugin fail at runtime
> > with
> maven 3.1.1+  (see [2]). And works well with 6.0.
>
> FWIW, I'm also quite keen on proper release of 6.0 (currently working
> with a locally-built 6.0 snapshot).
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Andreas

~t~

Re: Maven-Indexer 6.0 Release

olamy
sounds good!
Thanks!
Olivier

Olivier Lamy

Re: Maven-Indexer 6.0 Release

Tamás Cservenák
Hi,

All merged, but there is one more thing:

I'd like to fully reformat indexer codebase to maven codestyle before
release:
https://github.com/apache/maven-indexer/pull/23
(not much to see, but someone eyeball please)

Main reason is not only annoying checkstyle errors (this PR gets rid of
most but not all of them, javadoc ones still remain :), but also to align
formatting of sources, makes IDEs not loose their sanity. Currently we have
one pending PR (the lucene 7) but rebasing it against master (once this
reformat PR is merged) should be easy, if the other problems are fixed.

Am not "blocking" the release with reformat -- so am fine doing 6.0 without
it --, but i think would be "nice thing to do", and would ease later PR
reviews too, by having codestyle aligned across whole project.

WDYT?

On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 11:01 AM Olivier Lamy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> sounds good!
> Thanks!
> Olivier
>
> On 24 November 2017 at 02:14, Tamás Cservenák <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I think with this PR 6.0 should be ready to go:
> > https://github.com/apache/maven-indexer/pull/21
> >
> > Then, we can "jump" to 7 :)
> > - make it java8
> > - consume the lucene update PR
> > https://github.com/apache/maven-indexer/pull/19
> >

> > WDYT?
> >

> > On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 3:13 PM Andreas Sewe <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,

> > have
> > > some news for 6.0 release of maven indexer.

> with
> > > maven 3.1.1+  (see [2]). And works well with 6.0.
> > >
> > > FWIW, I'm also quite keen on proper release of 6.0 (currently working
> > > with a locally-built 6.0 snapshot).
> > >
> > > Best wishes,
> > >
> > > Andreas
> > >

> > > --
> > Thanks,
> > ~t~
> >

> --
> Olivier Lamy
> http://twitter.com/olamy | http://linkedin.com/in/olamy

~t~

Re: Maven-Indexer 6.0 Release

Manfred Moser-4
+1 .. imho before the release ..

Manfred

Tamás Cservenák wrote on 2017-11-24 06:54:

> Hi,
>
> All merged, but there is one more thing:
>
> I'd like to fully reformat indexer codebase to maven codestyle before
> release:
> https://github.com/apache/maven-indexer/pull/23
> (not much to see, but someone eyeball please)
>
> Main reason is not only annoying checkstyle errors (this PR gets rid of
> most but not all of them, javadoc ones still remain :), but also to align
> formatting of sources, makes IDEs not loose their sanity. Currently we have
> one pending PR (the lucene 7) but rebasing it against master (once this
> reformat PR is merged) should be easy, if the other problems are fixed.
>
> Am not "blocking" the release with reformat -- so am fine doing 6.0 without
> it --, but i think would be "nice thing to do", and would ease later PR
> reviews too, by having codestyle aligned across whole project.
>
> WDYT?

> On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 11:01 AM Olivier Lamy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> sounds good!
>> Thanks!
>> Olivier
>>
>> On 24 November 2017 at 02:14, Tamás Cservenák <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi there,
>> >
>> > I think with this PR 6.0 should be ready to go:
>> > https://github.com/apache/maven-indexer/pull/21
>> >
>> > Then, we can "jump" to 7 :)
>> > - make it java8
>> > - consume the lucene update PR
>> > https://github.com/apache/maven-indexer/pull/19
>> >

>> > WDYT?

>> > have

>> with

>> > Thanks,
>> > ~t~
>> >

>> --
>> Olivier Lamy
>> http://twitter.com/olamy | http://linkedin.com/in/olamy
>>
> --
> Thanks,
> ~t~

Re: Maven-Indexer 6.0 Release

olamy
sounds good! (thanks to make Hervé happy :P )

Olivier Lamy

Re: Maven-Indexer 6.0 Release

Tamás Cservenák
More fixes made by Hervé and me.

Are we ready for 6.0.0?

On Sun, Nov 26, 2017, 01:10 Olivier Lamy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> sounds good! (thanks to make Hervé happy :P )
>
> On 25 November 2017 at 01:54, Tamás Cservenák <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > All merged, but there is one more thing:
> >
> > I'd like to fully reformat indexer codebase to maven codestyle before
> > release:
> > https://github.com/apache/maven-indexer/pull/23
> > (not much to see, but someone eyeball please)
> >
> > Main reason is not only annoying checkstyle errors (this PR gets rid of
> > most but not all of them, javadoc ones still remain :), but also to align
> > formatting of sources, makes IDEs not loose their sanity. Currently we
> have
> > one pending PR (the lucene 7) but rebasing it against master (once this
> > reformat PR is merged) should be easy, if the other problems are fixed.
> >
> > Am not "blocking" the release with reformat -- so am fine doing 6.0
> without
> > it --, but i think would be "nice thing to do", and would ease later PR
> > reviews too, by having codestyle aligned across whole project.
> >
> > WDYT?

> > On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 11:01 AM Olivier Lamy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > sounds good!
> > > Thanks!
> > > Olivier

> runtime
> > > with

> working

> > > --
> > > Olivier Lamy
> > > http://twitter.com/olamy | http://linkedin.com/in/olamy
> > >
> > --
> > Thanks,
> > ~t~
> >

> --
> Olivier Lamy
> http://twitter.com/olamy | http://linkedin.com/in/olamy

~t~

Re: Maven-Indexer 6.0 Release

olamy
Hi,
Sounds good.
Sorry I haven't tested that but can we still read Central index?

--
Olivier Lamy