Quantcast

Maven Embedder

Thiessen, Todd (Todd)
Is there any kind of users guide for the maven embedder?  Not finding anything.

I can find the source, but having to guess as to how to use the classes.

RE: Maven Embedder

Thiessen, Todd (Todd)
Hmm. Or is the Maven Embedder no longer supported?

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5141788/how-to-run-maven-from-java

Is there any kind of users guide for the maven embedder?  Not finding anything.

I can find the source, but having to guess as to how to use the classes.

Re: Maven Embedder

Jason van Zyl
A single embedder really doesn't make any sense, or at least this is what we have found working on Nexus, M2Eclipse, Hudson and a bunch of other tools. All of the use cases are slightly different and it is just easier to grab the individual components and piece them together as required. We have several small embedders for all of the tools now. We could probably make another one now that might be useful but the first form of the embedder certainly wasn't which is why it was removed.

On Aug 17, 2011, at 3:35 PM, Thiessen, Todd (Todd) wrote:

> Hmm. Or is the Maven Embedder no longer supported?
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5141788/how-to-run-maven-from-java

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

and sit softly on your shoulder ...

 -- Thoreau

Re: Maven Embedder

Anders Hammar
Today, you should really use Maven 3 which is designed to be
embeddable in tools. I have no experience myself of this, but it has
been discussed a few times on this mailing list although quite some
time has passed since the last time it was brought up. You could try
searching any of the archives.
One other way is to have a look at m2eclipse code, which takes full
advantage of integrating Maven into a tool.

/Anders

PS. The Maven Embedder I believe you're asking about was based on some
old Maven 2.0 code and found impossible to maintain.

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 21:35, Thiessen, Todd (Todd)
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hmm. Or is the Maven Embedder no longer supported?
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5141788/how-to-run-maven-from-java

I like the idea of using only the parts of the embedder that you need.

Is anything published anywhere which can list which components are available for what tasks?

I have been looking through the source for this artifact and its dependencies:

    <dependency>
    <groupId>org.apache.maven</groupId>
    <artifactId>maven-embedder</artifactId>
    <version>3.0.3</version>
    </dependency>

But haven't had too much luck trying to piece it all together.

Ultimately what I want to do is to be able to have a combined view of the properties defined in the pom and in a profile defined in my local settings.xml file.  I have found a number of classes like "DefaultSettingsBuilder" and "DefaultProjectBuilder" but they all require other classes which other classes, etc...

RE: Maven Embedder

Thiessen, Todd (Todd)
I can volunteer some time to help make some of these components available.  I presume most of these components can be found in the 3.0.3 maven-embedder artifact?  Or is that artifact effectively deprecated and the components are found somewhere else?

Re: Maven Embedder

Tamas Cservenak-2
While you're use case is not quite clear to me ("combined view of
properties defined in pom and in profile..."), you could take a peek
at this:

https://github.com/sonatype/sisu-maven-bridge

It does offer effective pom for example...

Patches, as always, are welcome! :)

Thanks,
~t~

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 10:01 PM, Thiessen, Todd (Todd)
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I like the idea of using only the parts of the embedder that you need.
>
> Is anything published anywhere which can list which components are available for what tasks?
>
> I have been looking through the source for this artifact and its dependencies:
>
>    <dependency>
>        <groupId>org.apache.maven</groupId>
>        <artifactId>maven-embedder</artifactId>
>        <version>3.0.3</version>
>    </dependency>
>
> But haven't had too much luck trying to piece it all together.
>
> Ultimately what I want to do is to be able to have a combined view of the properties defined in the pom and in a profile defined in my local settings.xml file.  I have found a number of classes like "DefaultSettingsBuilder" and "DefaultProjectBuilder" but they all require other classes which other classes, etc...

RE: Maven Embedder

Thiessen, Todd (Todd)
It is basically the effective pom, but just for properties.  So if in your settings.xml file you have this:

  <profiles>
    <profile>
      <id>profileId</id>
      <properties>
         <property1>profileProperty1Value</property1>
         <property3>profileProperty3Value</property3>
      </properties>
      <activation>
        <activeByDefault>true</activeByDefault>
      </activation>
    </profile>
  </profiles>

And in the pom you have this:

  <properties>
    <property1>pomProperty1Value</property1>
    <property2>pomProperty2Value</property2>
  </properties>

I should be able to get a consolidated list of properties. Ie:

         <property1>profileProperty1Value</property1>
         <property2>pomProperty2Value</property2>
         <property3>profileProperty3Value</property3>

RE: Maven Embedder

Thiessen, Todd (Todd)
Thanks for a link to those examples.

I noticed that that pom has dependencies like:

    <dependency>
      <groupId>org.apache.maven</groupId>
      <artifactId>maven-model</artifactId>
      <version>3.0.1</version>
    </dependency>

This artifact is also a dependency of the maven-embedder artifact. The statement I linked earlier regarding the maven embedder not being supported; what does this really mean?  Does this mean that I shouldn't be using maven-embedder but rather directly using the artifacts it depends on like maven-model?

Re: Maven Embedder

Jason van Zyl
The MavenEmbedder class is gone, the maven-embedder module that still exists in the source is a misnomer really. Though if you look at the MavenCli class you'll see how we use some of the components to do some basic things like execute goals, read settings and the like.

On Aug 18, 2011, at 9:31 AM, Thiessen, Todd (Todd) wrote:

> Thanks for a link to those examples.
>
> I noticed that that pom has dependencies like:
>
>    <dependency>
>      <groupId>org.apache.maven</groupId>
>      <artifactId>maven-model</artifactId>
>      <version>3.0.1</version>
>    </dependency>
>
> This artifact is also a dependency of the maven-embedder artifact. The statement I linked earlier regarding the maven embedder not being supported; what does this really mean?  Does this mean that I shouldn't be using maven-embedder but rather directly using the artifacts it depends on like maven-model?

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

the course of true love never did run smooth ...

 -- Shakespeare

Re: Maven Embedder

Anders Hammar
My understanding is that maven-embedder stopped being supported for
Maven 2 at v2.0.4 (there is no 2.0.5, 2.1.x, or 2.2.x for example).
Then it was re-introduced with Maven 3, but I'm guessing that the API
changed completely.
But I could be completely off...

/Anders