Maven 4

Alexander Suter
Hi Guys

First of all thanks for your huge effort!

I really would like to test Maven 4. Is there somewhere a builded pre-release available?
Or do I have to build it on my own from the GitHub repo?

Is there also a Changelist somewhere with all your improvements? So that I can learn
what I can improve/change in my builds.

Thank you!

Re: Maven 4

mthmulders
Hi Alexander,

Regardless of how you do it, please know that all options will give you
a snapshot of what will eventually become Maven 4. That means: our
integration tests pass, but there may be known and unknown bugs. Use at
your own risk :-).

Having said that, you have several options:
(1)  you could download a pre-built archive from Jenkins, our CI server.
You'll find it at [1].
(2)  you can checkout the Maven source code and build it yourself.
You'll find the source code at [2]. You can build and package with mvn
verify, and the result will be in apache-maven/target/.
(3)  if you're on Linux or macOS, you may benefit from my personal
side-project [3]. It's a Homebrew "tap" that automatically installs the
latest version it fetches from Jenkins. Note that this is not supported
by the broader Apache Maven community, it's just my side-project.

If you decide to give it a try, enjoy! If you think you're running into
an issue, please cross-check against Maven 3.6.3 before submitting an
issue. There will be some "breaking" things - for instance the -P and
-pl arguments behave a little different when you specify a profile that
doesn't exist.

I'm not aware of a formal Changelog for Maven 4. I did a partial
write-up a couple of months ago - incomplete for sure, but with some
references for features not described in that blog. You can find it at [4].

Thanks,

Maarten

[1]
https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Maven/job/maven-box/job/maven/job/master/
[2] https://github.com/apache/maven
[3] https://github.com/mthmulders/homebrew-maven-snapshot/
[4] https://maarten.mulders.it/2020/11/whats-new-in-maven-4/

On 15/02/2021 16:50, Alexander Suter wrote:

> Hi Guys
>
> First of all thanks for your huge effort!
>
> I really would like to test Maven 4. Is there somewhere a builded pre-release available?
> Or do I have to build it on my own from the GitHub repo?
>
> Is there also a Changelist somewhere with all your improvements? So that I can learn
> what I can improve/change in my builds.
>
> Thank you!

Re: Maven 4

Delany
Hi Maarten,

Could Maven 4 be made available via the wrapper?
Isn't this the preferred method of switching versions?

Thanks,
Delany

On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 at 09:37, Maarten Mulders <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Alexander,
>
> Regardless of how you do it, please know that all options will give you
> a snapshot of what will eventually become Maven 4. That means: our
> integration tests pass, but there may be known and unknown bugs. Use at
> your own risk :-).
>

> Having said that, you have several options:
> (1)  you could download a pre-built archive from Jenkins, our CI server.
> You'll find it at [1].
> (2)  you can checkout the Maven source code and build it yourself.
> You'll find the source code at [2]. You can build and package with mvn
> verify, and the result will be in apache-maven/target/.
> (3)  if you're on Linux or macOS, you may benefit from my personal
> side-project [3]. It's a Homebrew "tap" that automatically installs the
> latest version it fetches from Jenkins. Note that this is not supported
> by the broader Apache Maven community, it's just my side-project.
>

> If you decide to give it a try, enjoy! If you think you're running into
> an issue, please cross-check against Maven 3.6.3 before submitting an
> issue. There will be some "breaking" things - for instance the -P and
> -pl arguments behave a little different when you specify a profile that
> doesn't exist.
>

> I'm not aware of a formal Changelog for Maven 4. I did a partial
> write-up a couple of months ago - incomplete for sure, but with some
> references for features not described in that blog. You can find it at [4].
>

> Thanks,
>
> Maarten
>

> [1]
> https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Maven/job/maven-box/job/maven/job/master/
> [2] https://github.com/apache/maven
> [3] https://github.com/mthmulders/homebrew-maven-snapshot/
> [4] https://maarten.mulders.it/2020/11/whats-new-in-maven-4/
>

> On 15/02/2021 16:50, Alexander Suter wrote:
> > Hi Guys
> >
> > First of all thanks for your huge effort!
> >
> > I really would like to test Maven 4. Is there somewhere a builded
> pre-release available?
> > Or do I have to build it on my own from the GitHub repo?
> >
> > Is there also a Changelist somewhere with all your improvements? So that
> I can learn
> > what I can improve/change in my builds.
> >
> > Thank you!

Re: Maven 4

Tamás Cservenák
Of released ones, yes, as wrapper (by default) will go to Maven Central to
get binary...