Maven 3.4.0 color output and default slf4j implementation

Maven 3.4.0 color output and default slf4j implementation

Hervé BOUTEMY
Jason Dillon started the Maven output color work by providing us a Gossip
slf4j provider renderer adapted to Maven context: thanks Jason

Then current master uses Gossip slf4j provider by default with this
customization.

Given there were feedback from people finding the change disturbing vs usual
slf4j simple provider (some are just about changing habits, some are about
missing features like logging configuration with CLI and relative timestamp),
I tried another approach: patch slf4j simple provider to add Maven-specific
rendering features.

The result is available on MNG-6093 branch with maven-slf4j-provider module
addition [1]

I didn't really try to add features or extensions to slf4j Gossip.

What is the best option for Maven: try to improve slf4j Gossip or use this
slf4j simple patched version?

[1] https://github.com/apache/maven/tree/MNG-6093/maven-slf4j-provider

Re: Maven 3.4.0 color output and default slf4j implementation

Mirko Friedenhagen-2
Hello Hervé,

I would like a simple approach here. If I understand it correctly, gossip
was chosen because of its color capability. If we could have this without
switching the log provider it would be a good thing IMO. Gossip seems to be
unconfigurable by means of system properties, which is a pity.

Regards
Mirko
--
Sent from my mobile

Am 15.10.2016 07:51 schrieb "Hervé BOUTEMY" <[hidden email]>:

> Jason Dillon started the Maven output color work by providing us a Gossip
> slf4j provider renderer adapted to Maven context: thanks Jason
>
> Then current master uses Gossip slf4j provider by default with this
> customization.
>
> Given there were feedback from people finding the change disturbing vs
> usual
> slf4j simple provider (some are just about changing habits, some are about
> missing features like logging configuration with CLI and relative
> timestamp),
> I tried another approach: patch slf4j simple provider to add Maven-specific
> rendering features.
>
> The result is available on MNG-6093 branch with maven-slf4j-provider module
> addition [1]
>
> I didn't really try to add features or extensions to slf4j Gossip.
>

> What is the best option for Maven: try to improve slf4j Gossip or use this
> slf4j simple patched version?
>
> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>
> [1] https://github.com/apache/maven/tree/MNG-6093/maven-slf4j-provider

Re: Maven 3.4.0 color output and default slf4j implementation

Hervé BOUTEMY
Hi Mirko,

short answer: yes

more precise answer:
Gossip slf4j provider does not have color feature but has extensible Renderer
interface which permits to inject Maven colorized renderer [1] with one
configuration line [2]

In maven-slf4j-simple, I copied the same Maven colorized renderer code [3] and
injected it in slf4j simple through a Groovy script to patch slf4j simple
source code [4]: not as straightforward than one fonciguration line, but same
effect with clean separation of Maven-specific extension code to support
colorized output with Maven styles

[1] https://github.com/apache/maven/blob/master/maven-embedder/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/cli/logging/impl/gossip/ColorRenderer.java

[2] https://github.com/apache/maven/blob/master/maven-embedder/src/main/resources/META-INF/com.planet57.gossip/config.properties#L29

[3] https://github.com/apache/maven/blob/MNG-6093/maven-slf4j-provider/src/main/java/org/slf4j/impl/MavenSimpleLogger.java

[4] https://github.com/apache/maven/blob/MNG-6093/maven-slf4j-provider/src/main/script/patch-slf4j-simple.groovy

Le lundi 17 octobre 2016 07:00:50 Mirko Friedenhagen a écrit :

> Hello Hervé,
>
> I would like a simple approach here. If I understand it correctly, gossip
> was chosen because of its color capability. If we could have this without
> switching the log provider it would be a good thing IMO. Gossip seems to be
> unconfigurable by means of system properties, which is a pity.
>
> Regards
> Mirko
>
> > Jason Dillon started the Maven output color work by providing us a Gossip
> > slf4j provider renderer adapted to Maven context: thanks Jason
> >
> > Then current master uses Gossip slf4j provider by default with this
> > customization.
> >
> > Given there were feedback from people finding the change disturbing vs
> > usual
> > slf4j simple provider (some are just about changing habits, some are about
> > missing features like logging configuration with CLI and relative
> > timestamp),
> > I tried another approach: patch slf4j simple provider to add
> > Maven-specific
> > rendering features.
> >
> > The result is available on MNG-6093 branch with maven-slf4j-provider
> > module
> > addition [1]
> >
> > I didn't really try to add features or extensions to slf4j Gossip.
> >

> > What is the best option for Maven: try to improve slf4j Gossip or use this
> > slf4j simple patched version?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Hervé
> >
> > [1] https://github.com/apache/maven/tree/MNG-6093/maven-slf4j-provider

Re: Maven 3.4.0 color output and default slf4j implementation

Jason van Zyl-6
So your approach was to fork some code, instead of trying to fix Gossip? I haven’t been paying much attention just trying to understand why you would fork instead of working with Jason Dillon to get that added? Did he not respond or you couldn’t make a PR?

Jason

> On Oct 17, 2016, at 1:11 AM, Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Mirko,
>
> short answer: yes
>
> more precise answer:
> Gossip slf4j provider does not have color feature but has extensible Renderer
> interface which permits to inject Maven colorized renderer [1] with one
> configuration line [2]
>
> In maven-slf4j-simple, I copied the same Maven colorized renderer code [3] and
> injected it in slf4j simple through a Groovy script to patch slf4j simple
> source code [4]: not as straightforward than one fonciguration line, but same
> effect with clean separation of Maven-specific extension code to support
> colorized output with Maven styles
>
> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>
> [1] https://github.com/apache/maven/blob/master/maven-embedder/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/cli/logging/impl/gossip/ColorRenderer.java
>
> [2] https://github.com/apache/maven/blob/master/maven-embedder/src/main/resources/META-INF/com.planet57.gossip/config.properties#L29
>
> [3] https://github.com/apache/maven/blob/MNG-6093/maven-slf4j-provider/src/main/java/org/slf4j/impl/MavenSimpleLogger.java
>
> [4] https://github.com/apache/maven/blob/MNG-6093/maven-slf4j-provider/src/main/script/patch-slf4j-simple.groovy
>
> Le lundi 17 octobre 2016 07:00:50 Mirko Friedenhagen a écrit :
>> Hello Hervé,
>>
>> I would like a simple approach here. If I understand it correctly, gossip
>> was chosen because of its color capability. If we could have this without
>> switching the log provider it would be a good thing IMO. Gossip seems to be
>> unconfigurable by means of system properties, which is a pity.
>>
>> Regards
>> Mirko
>>
>>> Jason Dillon started the Maven output color work by providing us a Gossip
>>> slf4j provider renderer adapted to Maven context: thanks Jason
>>>
>>> Then current master uses Gossip slf4j provider by default with this
>>> customization.
>>>
>>> Given there were feedback from people finding the change disturbing vs
>>> usual
>>> slf4j simple provider (some are just about changing habits, some are about
>>> missing features like logging configuration with CLI and relative
>>> timestamp),
>>> I tried another approach: patch slf4j simple provider to add
>>> Maven-specific
>>> rendering features.
>>>
>>> The result is available on MNG-6093 branch with maven-slf4j-provider
>>> module
>>> addition [1]
>>>
>>> I didn't really try to add features or extensions to slf4j Gossip.
>>>

>>> What is the best option for Maven: try to improve slf4j Gossip or use this
>>> slf4j simple patched version?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Hervé
>>>
>>> [1] https://github.com/apache/maven/tree/MNG-6093/maven-slf4j-provider

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder, Takari and Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
http://twitter.com/takari_io

Re: Maven 3.4.0 color output and default slf4j implementation

Mirko Friedenhagen-2
Hello Jason,

I do not know about Hervé, I checked out the gossip source to maybe add the
needed documentation for configuring gossip, but found the Maven module
structure, the code structure and the configuration format very confusing
and after spending two hours to figure out how to easily handle my use case
(I.e. do not log downloads in batch mode, output relative timestamp during
Maven run) decided to delete it from the SNAPSHOT builds of 3.4.0 and
replace it with slf4j-simple again, as in CI I do not need color that
desperately but I don't like build logs spoiled with download messages.
Same reason why I most of the times redirect output from surefire to files.
When a test fails, the stack trace should normally give enough information
to diagnose.

So I like the approach to stay with the trivial (monkey-patched)
slf4j-simple.

Regards
Mirko
--
Sent from my mobile

Am 17.10.2016 13:49 schrieb "Jason van Zyl" <[hidden email]>:

> So your approach was to fork some code, instead of trying to fix Gossip? I
> haven’t been paying much attention just trying to understand why you would
> fork instead of working with Jason Dillon to get that added? Did he not
> respond or you couldn’t make a PR?
>
> Jason
>
> > On Oct 17, 2016, at 1:11 AM, Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Mirko,
> >
> > short answer: yes
> >
> > more precise answer:
> > Gossip slf4j provider does not have color feature but has extensible
> Renderer
> > interface which permits to inject Maven colorized renderer [1] with one
> > configuration line [2]
> >
> > In maven-slf4j-simple, I copied the same Maven colorized renderer code
> [3] and
> > injected it in slf4j simple through a Groovy script to patch slf4j simple
> > source code [4]: not as straightforward than one fonciguration line, but
> same
> > effect with clean separation of Maven-specific extension code to support
> > colorized output with Maven styles
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Hervé
> >
> > [1] https://github.com/apache/maven/blob/master/maven-
> embedder/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/cli/logging/impl/
> gossip/ColorRenderer.java
> >
> > [2] https://github.com/apache/maven/blob/master/maven-
> embedder/src/main/resources/META-INF/com.planet57.gossip/
> config.properties#L29
> >
> > [3] https://github.com/apache/maven/blob/MNG-6093/maven-
> slf4j-provider/src/main/java/org/slf4j/impl/MavenSimpleLogger.java
> >
> > [4] https://github.com/apache/maven/blob/MNG-6093/maven-
> slf4j-provider/src/main/script/patch-slf4j-simple.groovy
> >
> > Le lundi 17 octobre 2016 07:00:50 Mirko Friedenhagen a écrit :
> >> Hello Hervé,
> >>
> >> I would like a simple approach here. If I understand it correctly,
> gossip
> >> was chosen because of its color capability. If we could have this
> without
> >> switching the log provider it would be a good thing IMO. Gossip seems
> to be
> >> unconfigurable by means of system properties, which is a pity.
> >>
> >> Regards
> >> Mirko

> Gossip

> about

> this

> Thanks,
>
> Jason

> Jason van Zyl
> Founder, Takari and Apache Maven
> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
> http://twitter.com/takari_io

Re: Maven 3.4.0 color output and default slf4j implementation

adding some rendering code like supported by Gossip, and eventually adding the
rendering feature to slf4j-simple seemed sufficiently easy to give it a try:
done and was as easy as expected

Now, adding every slf4j-simple feature to Gossip require more work (it's not
simply about rendering: need to really dig into code), and is not guaranteed
to give smooth experience for everybody: the two missing features that were
reported clearly are perhaps the first two of a long list. Jason told that
these updates should be feasible, but seemed nobody really tried.

This option of keeping usual slf4j-simple with a little patch seems currently
not foolish

Le lundi 17 octobre 2016 06:49:21 Jason van Zyl a écrit :

> So your approach was to fork some code, instead of trying to fix Gossip? I
> haven’t been paying much attention just trying to understand why you would
> fork instead of working with Jason Dillon to get that added? Did he not
> respond or you couldn’t make a PR?
>
> Jason
>
> > On Oct 17, 2016, at 1:11 AM, Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Mirko,
> >
> > short answer: yes
> >
> > more precise answer:
> > Gossip slf4j provider does not have color feature but has extensible
> > Renderer interface which permits to inject Maven colorized renderer [1]
> > with one configuration line [2]
> >
> > In maven-slf4j-simple, I copied the same Maven colorized renderer code [3]
> > and injected it in slf4j simple through a Groovy script to patch slf4j
> > simple source code [4]: not as straightforward than one fonciguration
> > line, but same effect with clean separation of Maven-specific extension
> > code to support colorized output with Maven styles
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Hervé
> >
> > [1]
> > https://github.com/apache/maven/blob/master/maven-embedder/src/main/java/
> > org/apache/maven/cli/logging/impl/gossip/ColorRenderer.java
> >
> > [2]
> > https://github.com/apache/maven/blob/master/maven-embedder/src/main/resou
> > rces/META-INF/com.planet57.gossip/config.properties#L29
> >
> > [3]
> > https://github.com/apache/maven/blob/MNG-6093/maven-slf4j-provider/src/ma
> > in/java/org/slf4j/impl/MavenSimpleLogger.java
> >
> > [4]
> > https://github.com/apache/maven/blob/MNG-6093/maven-slf4j-provider/src/ma
> > in/script/patch-slf4j-simple.groovy>
> > Le lundi 17 octobre 2016 07:00:50 Mirko Friedenhagen a écrit :
> >> Hello Hervé,
> >>
> >> I would like a simple approach here. If I understand it correctly, gossip
> >> was chosen because of its color capability. If we could have this without
> >> switching the log provider it would be a good thing IMO. Gossip seems to
> >> be
> >> unconfigurable by means of system properties, which is a pity.
> >>
> >> Regards
> >> Mirko

> Thanks,
>
> Jason

> Jason van Zyl
> Founder, Takari and Apache Maven
> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
> http://twitter.com/takari_io

Re: Maven 3.4.0 color output and default slf4j implementation

stephenconnolly
Could you at least raise the issues that you see as blocking Gossip against
it. I presume you have them currently in your context and it would be good
to capture them now so that if somebody can add those features to Gossip
(assuming they are aligned with the direction Gossip wants to go) then we
can reconsider?

I see this change as more of a feature gap that would have blocked the
release, not a rejection of the proposal to switch to Gossip

Sent from my phone

Le lundi 17 octobre 2016 20:58:16 Stephen Connolly a écrit :
> Could you at least raise the issues that you see as blocking Gossip against
> it. I presume you have them currently in your context and it would be good
> to capture them now so that if somebody can add those features to Gossip
> (assuming they are aligned with the direction Gossip wants to go) then we
> can reconsider?
ok, let's do it once again: logging configuration with CLI and relative
timestamp (initial mail from this thread)
see "relative timestamp" in http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/maven-dev/201607.mbox/%3CCAK8jvqxYNK4weM2Frp4Brg3J7EybyjBiCsSRdGuNMQhYAG728Q%40mail.gmail.com%3E

> I see this change as more of a feature gap that would have blocked the
> release, not a rejection of the proposal to switch to Gossip
in fact, it's a rejection of any change that does not have at least all
features of slf4j-simple (without having a precise list of features)

I think I'll go with this monkey-patched slf4j simple provider: that's the
safest and is maintainable. NOthing prevents us to switch later if useful.

On 19 October 2016 at 12:37, Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le lundi 17 octobre 2016 20:58:16 Stephen Connolly a écrit :
> > Could you at least raise the issues that you see as blocking Gossip
> against
> > it. I presume you have them currently in your context and it would be
> good
> > to capture them now so that if somebody can add those features to Gossip
> > (assuming they are aligned with the direction Gossip wants to go) then we
> > can reconsider?
> ok, let's do it once again: logging configuration with CLI and relative
> timestamp (initial mail from this thread)
> see "relative timestamp" in http://mail-archives.apache.
> org/mod_mbox/maven-dev/201607.mbox/%3CCAK8jvqxYNK4weM2Frp4Brg3J7Ey
> byjBiCsSRdGuNMQhYAG728Q%40mail.gmail.com%3E

Did you raise that issue against Gossip (I see the issue management says
where to create issues:
https://github.com/jdillon/gossip/blob/0aa3da715a0d92369a0398b71131186c350fc793/pom.xml#L57-L60)...
I do not see any issues there: https://github.com/jdillon/gossip/issues

Le mercredi 19 octobre 2016 13:35:52 Stephen Connolly a écrit :

> On 19 October 2016 at 12:37, Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Le lundi 17 octobre 2016 20:58:16 Stephen Connolly a écrit :
> > > Could you at least raise the issues that you see as blocking Gossip
> >
> > against
> >
> > > it. I presume you have them currently in your context and it would be
> >
> > good
> >
> > > to capture them now so that if somebody can add those features to Gossip
> > > (assuming they are aligned with the direction Gossip wants to go) then
> > > we
> > > can reconsider?
> >
> > ok, let's do it once again: logging configuration with CLI and relative
> > timestamp (initial mail from this thread)
> > see "relative timestamp" in http://mail-archives.apache.
> > org/mod_mbox/maven-dev/201607.mbox/%3CCAK8jvqxYNK4weM2Frp4Brg3J7Ey
> > byjBiCsSRdGuNMQhYAG728Q%40mail.gmail.com%3E
>
> Did you raise that issue against Gossip (I see the issue management says
> where to create issues:
> https://github.com/jdillon/gossip/blob/0aa3da715a0d92369a0398b71131186c350fc
> 793/pom.xml#L57-L60)... I do not see any issues there:
> https://github.com/jdillon/gossip/issues
please read the thread content: already asked, already replied

> > > I see this change as more of a feature gap that would have blocked the
> > > release, not a rejection of the proposal to switch to Gossip
> >
> > in fact, it's a rejection of any change that does not have at least all
> > features of slf4j-simple (without having a precise list of features)
> >
> > I think I'll go with this monkey-patched slf4j simple provider: that's the
> > safest and is maintainable. NOthing prevents us to switch later if useful.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Hervé

> > adding

> > (it's

> > that

> > Gossip?

> > not

> > extensible

> > code

> > slf4j

> > fonciguration

> > seems

> > this

> > disturbing

> > are

> > maven-slf4j-provider

> > Gossip.

> > <javascript:;>

> > <javascript:;>

> > <javascript:;>

Re: Maven 3.4.0 color output and default slf4j implementation

Jason Dillon
FTR I choose Gossip because it was an slf4j impl I created which had more features than slf4j-simple but was also very small, and I had already previously implemented a ANSI color rendering scheme for it, as it was used by Maven Shell.

Its true that Gossip doesn’t have the same features as slf4j-simple, because my use-cases didn’t need it and thus I didn’t add code bloat for things I did not need.  I think I mentioned before its possible to change that, but it also wasn’t quite clear what was needed and I certainly don’t remember now.

FTR I didn’t realize that there were strong use-cases for folks fiddling with the logging impl/config so much, vs just using the tool as it comes.

If you folks want to drop it and hack in something else, it won’t hurt my feelings.  If you need help to adjust Gossip to do something I can probably help.

—jason

Re: Maven 3.4.0 color output and default slf4j implementation

Hervé BOUTEMY
thanks for sharing what you had, this really helped me work on the topic,
testing and learning misc approaches.

Now, the first feedback we've got on slf4j-simple to Gossip provider change
is:
- mailing list: some missing features
- MNG-6044: missing documentation and integration improvements required
(config file in conf/logging)

And that was only a first feedback with a few testers: the change may cause
more feedback to manage once released.

I'm convinced the slf4j-simple monkey patch approach will avoid a lot of
change management, with a solution that is manageable (nothing complex).

Then I won't personnally put more efforts on Gossip integration: the issue is
not Gossip itself, but it's users change management. And since I found a
solution that avoids this critical issue, I prefer avoid the change.

If others want to work on it and want to manage the change, feel free to take
the job.

Really thank you Jason for sharing your work: without it, I wouldn't have done
what I did and I fear color output would still be in limbo.

Le vendredi 21 octobre 2016 14:25:01 vous avez écrit :

> FTR I choose Gossip because it was an slf4j impl I created which had more
> features than slf4j-simple but was also very small, and I had already
> previously implemented a ANSI color rendering scheme for it, as it was used
> by Maven Shell.
>
> Its true that Gossip doesn’t have the same features as slf4j-simple, because
> my use-cases didn’t need it and thus I didn’t add code bloat for things I
> did not need.  I think I mentioned before its possible to change that, but
> it also wasn’t quite clear what was needed and I certainly don’t remember
> now.
>
> FTR I didn’t realize that there were strong use-cases for folks fiddling
> with the logging impl/config so much, vs just using the tool as it comes.
>
> If you folks want to drop it and hack in something else, it won’t hurt my
> feelings.  If you need help to adjust Gossip to do something I can probably
> help.
>
> —jason

Re: Maven 3.4.0 color output and default slf4j implementation

Jason Dillon
Okay, good luck.  Let me know if you change your mind and need improvements to gossip.

Cheers,

—jason